As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Microphone issues on a MacBook (microphone not at line-level?)

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The DjinneratorAt the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
Recently my headset and microphone combo that I've been using for years died on me. Thinking that it'd be a simple thing to replace, I went ahead and shopped around for a new one.

As I bounce between using the headset/mic on my desktop Windows machine and a Macbook pro, I decided to go with a 3.5 connected microphone rather than a pure USB connected microphone. My desktop has a nice soundcard in it, and I wanted to be able to use its various features through the 3.5 microphone port. This wound up being no problem - the mic I ordered (Corsair Vengeance 1300) functions great on my Windows machine.

The problem is that, apparently, an unpowered 3.5 microphone is just completely unable to function on any variety of Macbook. I don't quite understand the details, but I guess Macbook line-in audio needs to be picked up, so a pure 3.5 mic just won't register at all. My previous headset mic had USB in conjunction with 3.5 audio, but I foolishly assumed the USB was just there to power an external mixer for the headset. Apparently it also powered the microphone, despite the 3.5 mic never passing through the mixer. Obviously the simple solution is to return it and buy something else, but I actually rather like the Corsair Vengeance. It feels really comfortable (which is rare for me and headsets), and I get a decent sound quality out of it.

So long story short: Is there anything I can use to bring this microphone up to line-level so that it can function with my Macbook? Or am I SOL and should I return this device in favor of a USB headset with microphone?

• Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    Microphones output at mic level.
    An amplifier will bring that signal up to line level.

If your macbook has a line in, you could purchase some sort of amplifier for your microphone.

Alternatively, you could purchase an external soundcard for your macbook that connects via USB or Thunderbolt.
    I'm not sure about this specific product, but something like this might fit your needs.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    This looks like the solution I'll have to go with, either an amp or an external soundcard. The USB soundcards ought to be a relatively decent fix. Thanks much for the assist!