As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming video and Proxy(?) Server

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
Hey all,

I'm looking to setup a Server on my internal network which will essentially serve up a live stream it receives from the internet, and allows multiple computers on the LAN to view without them needing to go out to the internet and waste bandwidth. I'm not sure if a "Proxy Server" is the best term for this, so please forgive me if that is not the case.

Can such a thing be done? If so, could you recommend approaches to do this?

banner_160x60_01.gif

• Options
    KharnastusKharnastus Registered User regular
    hmmmm, not sure if this will work but it might be a good place to start researching. I set up a wirecast setup recently and I think it might be possible to use it to do this...

I think it would look like you stream it to one host computer that has wirecast running a screen cap of the system streaming it. Then using wirecast I know you can stream an SDP file created and shared to the clients you have on your LAN. The tricky part is getting that video stream capture in wirecast as I have not had need to try that one yet. Cool idea though, do tell if you find a solution.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    it sounds like it would be easier to hook multiple monitors to one computer to do this. You coould also remote-in to the host PC using the client PCs over the network.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I'm not finding any software solution for what you're looking to do, but if what you want to stream is from well known websites such as hulu or netflix, a Roku box or something similar can be used as a capture device that sends the video to a computer that can then stream that video onto the web or a LAN.