As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What kind of games can I run on this laptop?

JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster KittehRegistered User regular
So, after years of lagging and flickering... the end-of-life of Windows XP finally killed off my old laptop. I've had this new one for a month, and... sheesh, it's like upgrading from a go-kart to a Ferrari in terms of power. (Going from a dinosaur with a 50 GB hard drive and 512MB RAM with a Pentium processor to this thing... yeah, it's pretty darn amazing.)

Of course, now that I have a new laptop, I have a new problem: I want to buy some cool games for it, but PC gaming is the one area of gaming I never paid much attention to- mostly because I couldn't run anything made after 2008 or so. But now that I have something that can actually run PC games, I was hoping to get a few answers and suggestions as to what I might pick up that I can actually run on this thing.

Anyways, these are the stats of my new laptop, for reference.
RAM: 6 GB
HD: 750 GB
CPU: AMD A8 Elite Quad-Core
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8510G

The games I have my eye on are-

Team Fortress 2
Mechwarrior Online
World of Warcraft
World of Tanks

...and anything else I can run somewhat comfortably. Suggestions are appreciated, but keep in mind I'm a PC gaming rookie- I won't know a lot of tips and tricks on how to get something to run. Settings I can change are okay. Renaming files and the like? Um, no, I'd like to not completely bork my new laptop.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

steam_sig.png
I can has cheezburger, yes?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Hang out in the Steam threads of the subforum of your choice and you'll quickly come across tons of stuff you can play. You'll be able to play pretty much any game that's not something absurd like Watch_Dogs.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Most games from the last few years are going to be okay on that. Maybe not with all the detail settings cranked right up, but there's no reason you wouldn't be able to play Assassins Creed Black Flag if you adjust the settings a touch to keep the framerate up.

• Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

I find this website pretty good info on laptop graphics and game performance, lots of charts and lists of games. I used it quite a bit when I got my laptop 2 years ago.