As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unions] Time to get Fired...up?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Shorty wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    If employers were pocketing the tips, why would anybody continue to tip anyway?

do you really think any restaurant is going to advertise the fact that they steal from their employees?

Do you really think it’s going to end up being some deep dark secret with the turnaround in the service industry?

“I know someone that used to work there. Said they didn’t even get to keep their tips.”

LostNinja on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

do you really think any restaurant is going to advertise the fact that they steal from their employees?

I mean... give John Schnatter a few and I'll get back with you.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Do you really think it’s going to end up being some deep dark secret with the turnaround in the service industry?

“I know someone that used to work there. Said they didn’t even get to keep their tips.”

dude this is how restaurants already function

wage theft, exploitation, and all kinds of other shit are already rampant, and we have collectively decided we are fine with it

if we allow owners to steal tips, that will become the new normal

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yeah any restaurant worker who thinks they haven't had wages stolen is a restaurant worker who hasn't noticed their wages being stolen.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

wage theft, exploitation, and all kinds of other shit are already rampant, and we have collectively decided we are fine with it

Your arguement was we wouldn’t know because they won’t advertise it. Everything you just listed, as you implied yourself, are well known.

My arguement was that people tip because they know all of the above stuff and because of it feel they need to tip to cover for it. If that ceases to be the case, if their tip is no longer going to the person they are trying to support, why would they keep doing it?

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Arent they going to hit a point where it literally isnt worth going to work anymore if they keep cutting service workers income like this? I mean, if you cant afford rent and food, what the hell are you working for?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    because restaurants will let workers keep like 10%, I'm sure

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Arent they going to hit a point where it literally isnt worth going to work anymore if they keep cutting service workers income like this? I mean, if you cant afford rent and food, what the hell are you working for?

Every person I’ve know that’s worked service industry (including myself when I did) has done so because “well, with tips it pays better than retail.” and so it was worth the shit you had to put up with. If that stops being the case restaurants are going to find it very hard to keep staffed.

• Options

Every person I’ve know that’s worked service industry (including myself when I did) has done so because “well, with tips it pays better than retail.” and so it was worth the shit you had to put up with. If that stops being the case restaurants are going to find it very hard to keep staffed.

I wouldnt worry for them, they'd probably do like those telemarketing places and start outsorcing their labor to the prison system. It's really great how the U.S has managed to get around the laws against slavery.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

I wouldnt worry for them, they'd probably do like those telemarketing places and start outsorcing their labor to the prison system. It's really great how the U.S has managed to get around the laws against slavery.

Using prisoners as slaves is explicitly part of the consitution. They aren't getting around slavery laws, they are using them as written.

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Using prisoners as slaves is explicitly part of the consitution. They aren't getting around slavery laws, they are using them as written.

You guys are going to have one hell of a problem sooner or later

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Being an extremely broken mess rattling forward on its own inertia hasn't failed us yet!

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

Baby we're already there; most folks are either unwilling to acknowledge it or unaware of it's going on at all.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Baby we're already there; most folks are either unwilling to acknowledge it or unaware of it's going on at all.

I do have to give it to the rich, they've managed to create a perfect balance where you still have enough to lose that open revolt is too scary to contemplate.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/german-union-ig-metall-wins-right-to-28-hour-working-week-and-4-3-pay-rise-1.3382445
    IG Metall, Germany’s most powerful union, has won a 4.3 per cent wage increase and the right to a 28-hour working week in a landmark deal that will be seen as a benchmark for other sectors.

The agreement shows how strong a hand Germany’s economic boom has given the unions in wage negotiations this year. Last year the economy grew at its fastest rate since 2011 and unemployment is at its lowest since reunification in 1990.

The terms of the deal, reached on Tuesday after six rounds of often bruising talks and a series of 24-hour strikes, also demonstrate how the pursuit of a better work-life balance is now just as big a priority for organised labour in Germany as winning big wage increases.

It sounds like the 28-hour working week is a parenting/bonding leave thing, but with the allowance that they can automatically return to being full-time employees afterward.

On the flip side, employers are now allowed to ask employees who previously were capped at 35 hours to work 40 hours if they're "willing" (which will probably make 40 hours the standard, but they're also paid hourly, so they'll be getting equivalent higher compensation).

• Options
    Fuck yeah

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Wasn't there someone on these forums who talked about how his employer required all the waiters to empty out their pockets every night to make sure they weren't hiding tips?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wasn't there someone on these forums who talked about how his employer required all the waiters to empty out their pockets every night to make sure they weren't hiding tips?

Which would lead to waiters hiding tips in shoes, and.. you know.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I think what I would do in this case would be ask the waiter...

"Does this restaurant pool your tips?"

and if they said yes, I would then have a little mini contract written out saying that the $10 I gave was a gift to the server, for reasons unrelated to their service of the meal.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

and if they said yes, I would then have a little mini contract written out saying that the $10 I gave was a gift to the server, for reasons unrelated to their service of the meal.

Then the restaurant demands the $10 tip and waiter either complies or gets fired because even if the contract is enforceable it still costs money the waiter doesn't have and could seriously impact their future job prospects by being seen as "trouble" just for the attempt at litigation.

ISN'T AMERICA FUN?

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Then the restaurant demands the $10 tip and waiter either complies or gets fired because even if the contract is enforceable it still costs money the waiter doesn't have and could seriously impact their future job prospects by being seen as "trouble" just for the attempt at litigation.

ISN'T AMERICA FUN?

Then the restaurant gets countersued by worker advocate groups and still has to pay unemployment in the mean time. We can play the courts game too.

If this wage theft rule passes, it’s going to send shockwaves through the service industry.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

ISN'T AMERICA FUN?

Then the restaurant gets countersued by worker advocate groups and still has to pay unemployment in the mean time. We can play the courts game too.

If this wage theft rule passes, it’s going to send shockwaves through the service industry.

Again, this all costs money and time. During which the waiter isn't going to be making any of the former. It also does nothing for the hit to their reputation for former employers, which can be far worse if the case does in fact blow up to media attention.

The ideal is not the reality.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Right to work states. Can be fired for any reason (not prohibited by being in a protected class) or no reason.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »

ISN'T AMERICA FUN?

In my experience the poor do not fare well in lawsuits versus major corporations.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Restaurants aren’t usually major corporations

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Right to work states. Can be fired for any reason (not prohibited by being in a protected class) or no reason.

that's 'at-will employment'
    and it's every state, basicially (the laws are a bit more nuanced but in general you can be fired from anywhere for no reason, in any state)

'right to work' is an anti-union thing* that's so deceptively named people always confuse it for at-will employment.

*making it so unions can't compel dues from non-members in the same jobs (since they can't compel membership either) while also still being required to provide services. It's a death knell for unions in that state since they have to take free riders

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Additionally, if they fire you for no reason, they still have to pay out unemployment.

If the cause given is crappy or not properly documented, ("They didn't give up money that was given explicitly just to them by the customer" or the more likely given reason "Withholding funds from the company") still have to pay out. If they contest paying unemployment, most states have an appeals process. Employees definitely aren't without recourse that doesn't involve lawsuits, but even then, if you don't think any lawyer would see dollar signs with the headline "Local Chain restaurant fires workers for keeping their own tips" then I'm not certain what to tell you.

Yah, Employers have drastically and grossly stacked the deck for several decades, but people can and are starting to wake up and claw back their rights to be treated like actual people on the job and not disposable cogs in the machine. The fact that they're trying to foist this on the average worker and not even hiding the fact they want to use it to line their own pockets is going to bite them in the ass though.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Word of mouth can also be rather lethal for a local business. Yeah, they are some awful fuckers that will gladly patronize a restaurant because it fucks it's employees, but those kinds of fuckers usually get bored or distracted and stop doing so, if the sole draw was fucking the serving staff over. Problem is, get a rep as the local restaurant that pockets its employees tips and fires any that challenge the policy, are likely to get boycotted into oblivion and probably carries over to the big chains that still have tipping as a thing.

I'm guessing the morons pushing for this are are at the big ritzy places, that get patronized by wealthy people because some of those tips are huge. I'm not sure how big the blow back will be on that end. Maybe they more or less keep their business or they lose all the customers that actually get that is a shitty thing or are offended that their tip isn't going solely to the waiter/waitress they had (if we discount tax stuff). It will likely be devastating for the non-wealthy businesses because they already have a shit ton of things that drive away customers. Plenty of places where tips aren't considered a factor, that people can get food from if they don't want to cook and we've moved beyond all of that stuff being burgers, fries and pizza. Not to mention unless there is some very specific reason (only place the customer can access or they're a really dedicated fan), customers can easily go elsewhere. The real question is how many restaurant workers will be in a position where they can walk (be that by lining up a new job or just leave the workforce, I'm pretty sure we have some waitstaff where it's a case of wanting some additional funds, but not required cash or finding something to do).

Mill on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I wouldn't be so sure, that kind of thing isn't really filtered to popular knowledge or culture or in general political issues of the day. Causes require content spotlight and movement or people will forget or not know they exist plus the parties need to encourage the public and politicians to work for them to fix things. That doesn't mean they're fine with the status quo.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Restaurants aren’t usually major corporations

Applebees, Chillies, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc are all under various corporate umbrellas.

• Options
    https://m.sfgate.com/business/article/Elon-Musk-promises-frozen-yogurt-roller-coaster-10966087.php#photo-9725248

Musk promises frozen yogurt and a rollercoaster, rails against unionization.

This is literally the plot of a Simpsons episode.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I've spent my time working in restaurants when I was younger. Pooling tips isn't a bad thing if it's done correctly.

First you don't pool all tips, it's a small portion of tips that are pooled that go to the kitchen and the host. A server leaves with 75$ instead of 80$, dishwasher leaves with 6-10$ instead of 0$. Manager/Owner take nothing, but do tally the total in the pool and split it to the kitchen. This works the other way around, too. I did Teppanyaki a little and when I'd do all the work and get a nice 80$ tip, at least 10-15$ would go to the server pool. Same with the folks in the sushi bar. Everyone really appreciated it and it was beneficial to the entire staff.

When people got pissed about pooling tips as a topic when at a party once, I had to explain that stealing money from employees is just stealing money. It's not anything about tip pooling, it's stealing money.

That said, it's hard to convince people who make below minimum wage to maybe stir shit up and get fired because of it. It's an abusive exploitation of the staff/manager(owner) relationship that doesn't have a solution without federal safeguards Republicans have spent 60 years dismantling.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I've spent my time working in restaurants when I was younger. Pooling tips isn't a bad thing if it's done correctly.

First you don't pool all tips, it's a small portion of tips that are pooled that go to the kitchen and the host. A server leaves with 75$ instead of 80$, dishwasher leaves with 6-10$ instead of 0$. Manager/Owner take nothing, but do tally the total in the pool and split it to the kitchen. This works the other way around, too. I did Teppanyaki a little and when I'd do all the work and get a nice 80$ tip, at least 10-15$ would go to the server pool. Same with the folks in the sushi bar. Everyone really appreciated it and it was beneficial to the entire staff.

When people got pissed about pooling tips as a topic when at a party once, I had to explain that stealing money from employees is just stealing money. It's not anything about tip pooling, it's stealing money.

That said, it's hard to convince people who make below minimum wage to maybe stir shit up and get fired because of it. It's an abusive exploitation of the staff/manager(owner) relationship that doesn't have a solution without federal safeguards Republicans have spent 60 years dismantling.

The new regulation allows the employer to be part of the pool and skim off the top.
    The proposal would permit tip pooling arrangements that involve restaurant servers and other workers who make tips and back-of-the-house workers who don’t. It sparked outrage from worker advocates who said the move would permit management to essentially skim gratuities by participating in the pools themselves.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Yeah. That's why I mean it's stealing. Calling it pooling tips is nonsense. It should be treated as stealing.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Yeah. That's why I mean it's stealing. Calling it pooling tips is nonsense. It should be treated as stealing.
    Indeed. When I tip a waiter or waitress, I am not giving money to that restaurant's ownership, I am giving extra money to that person individually. If I hear of employers taking the tips I'd no longer go to that restaurant, since going there and not tipping would still be a dick move.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Tipping is bullshit anyway. If I go to a business I should be able to pay for a product or service without having to burden myself with an additional expense that exists solely to subsidize shitty labor practices by an employer. Since I don't believe in tipping, I don't go out to eat. I save money and as a side benefit it has forced me to actually learn how to cook (which has been incredibly rewarding in itself). A waiter should do their fucking job without expecting me to pay them extra. An employer should pay their fucking employees a living wage without expecting me to pay them extra.

I could go on and on about how lopsided the entire concept of tipping is for service employees. Pooling your tips is a great idea in theory (this way the dishwasher gets something as well as the line cook as well as the busboy as well as the waitress), but as a guy who used to bounce and had to listen to bartenders gloat about a $200 night (in tax free income) while I'd get tipped out six or seven bucks I firmly believe that the entire concept is stupid.

Don't support an industry that pays their employees poverty wages and then convinces them to guilt trip you into making up the difference. Definitely don't support an industry that is fighting to take a cut of the money they've extorted from their customers to shore up their labor budgets on top of the money they already paid for their meals.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    This thread is not about whether or not tipping is good, please stay on the workers rights aspect

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Oops, crossposted with mod.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The concept of tipping is fundamentally damaging to worker's rights. It reinforces how exploitive the service industry is.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    The concept of tipping is fundamentally damaging to worker's rights. It reinforces how exploitive the service industry is.

I wasn't inviting further discussion.

This discussion has been closed.