Options

[Wildstar] J. Gaffney steps down as Carbine President

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    I think your missing something , it would be one thing if it was just consistent play, but its consistent flawless play from 20 to 40 people all at once. Thats just mind boggling.

It feels fucking amazing when it works though. Insanely frustrating when it doesn't, which can be a problem I guess!

But I agree it is something for a very small part of the playerbase, and it is in Carbines best interest to nerf the current content heavily once they release newer stuff. They really should have shipped with an intro raid, much like the intro dungeon they are introducing.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Draeven wrote: »
    I think your missing something , it would be one thing if it was just consistent play, but its consistent flawless play from 20 to 40 people all at once. Thats just mind boggling.

It feels fucking amazing when it works though. Insanely frustrating when it doesn't, which can be a problem I guess!

But I agree it is something for a very small part of the playerbase, and it is in Carbines best interest to nerf the current content heavily once they release newer stuff. They really should have shipped with an intro raid, much like the intro dungeon they are introducing.

As much as I was glad to see that the game was more like WoW vanilla, I have to agree as well.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Last I checked, Big Damn Heroes on is technically still around, though a lot have transferred to Revive.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Anyone remember razorgore or valestraz?
    those two guys can go fuck themselves if you were a horde player.

the primary horde stat at the time required 16 to 20 people snatching monsters and putting them in a kiting loop. Everyone else had to dos as fast as they could.

it was so stupid. We adopted the alliance strategy of 2 warriors and 2 priests making a hellacious figure 8 and snatching the warriorkin. Of course it was easier for lice because they used paladins which had -50%threat from healing... Us? Bring speed pots and put on sprint shoes because if you got hit, the daze would mean game over.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Razorgore for Horde was hilarious. I'd stand in the very corner as a priest healer and try to tag the tanks with heals (I think we ran with 3-4 warrior kiters... it's been a while, though) as they ran by while also having my fingers firmly over my ohshitoshitididntmeanitdonthurtmeeeeeeeee button.

Learning it was pretty tough, but once we had a couple kills down it was very repeatable as long as we weren't bringing new tanks or a new controller to the fight.

Even that fight was still super forgiving on an individual level compared to every WS* raid. You had maybe 10 people who have critical, cannot-fuck-up tasks and the rest of the people just needed to not do something incredibly stupid and make it to phase 2.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Horde warlock on that fight meant chain fearing one of the big mobs for fucking ever.

Though it made my 'practice' of solo farming the priest eyes through the same trick and slow whittling dots useful to the raid!

• Options
    Alinius133Alinius133 Registered User regular
    Last I checked, Big Damn Heroes on is technically still around, though a lot have transferred to Revive.

Yeah, but 9 times out of 10 I am the only one on, and that is only when I am not playing one of my alts.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Horde warlock on that fight meant chain fearing one of the big mobs for fucking ever.

Though it made my 'practice' of solo farming the priest eyes through the same trick and slow whittling dots useful to the raid!

Yeah. Shaman needed to pretty much just drop their snare totem and do fuck all else because their heals were so inefficient threatwise. Most of the DPS just roamed around the room (or were stationed in corners, I can't remember) blowing up the mage dragons.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Was there something that made horde unable to use Hunters for Razorgore kiting?

• Options
    Naw, we had hunters kiting all the mobs towards the end of the encounter. Started with shaman healers, then hunters took more and more.

Also Ohmna is so damn tightly tuned, jeez. 1-2 deaths means the fight just spirals out of control slowly but surely.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Man, low-level PvP just opens up when you find a pair of pistols in one of the prize bags as a SS.

I do like how there's upgraded blue versions of the PvP gear in those prize bags, too.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    edit: oops wrong tab

Kamar on
  • Options

We might have. Been so long since I've played wow, much less run that encounter. I do remember that we didn't trust our hunters in vanilla any further than we could throw them, though. :)

• Options

We might have. Been so long since I've played wow, much less run that encounter. I do remember that we didn't trust our hunters in vanilla any further than we could throw them, though. :)

Original Huntard!

• Options
    So apparently BijiPlates has issues when there are too many things on the screen. Tree event and the end of War of the Wilds. anyone have a good nameplate add-on that doesn't crap out in those situations?

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Naw, we had hunters kiting all the mobs towards the end of the encounter. Started with shaman healers, then hunters took more and more.

Also Ohmna is so damn tightly tuned, jeez. 1-2 deaths means the fight just spirals out of control slowly but surely.

Sounds normal based on what I remember of WoW progression raiding. At some point, we simply could not allow anyone to die and still expect a kill. Battle rezes helped but even losing 10-15 seconds of dps was often the difference between a smooth kill and a messy wipe. God help you if a tank or healer went down on a critical part of the fight.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Alinius133 wrote: »
    So apparently BijiPlates has issues when there are too many things on the screen. Tree event and the end of War of the Wilds. anyone have a good nameplate add-on that doesn't crap out in those situations?

Optiplates.

• Options
    Frugus wrote: »
    *snip*

You a heroic exile or filthy dommie?

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Optiplates. Razorplates, Steadyplates are all good options

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Well, for some positive talk about the game,

More details given on rerolling a rune slot. It takes a technologist reagent. It not only cannot be the same element as before, but it gives a choice of two elements.

Based on the previous changes, this means it is literally impossible to have a useless item.

So pretty much rune randomization went from 1 in every 100 being useful to every one being useful, with the range of 'useful' also shrinking (we are talking the diff between an item with all main stat, no set runes to all AP set runes, and the diff between AP and main stat is significantly smaller on top of that).

So for anyone who hated random runeslots, well, they practically removed all of it.

Just an example - before as a Warrior, I could get a pair of boots with 1 logic slot (absolutely useless, best case a crit rune which is shit), or go all the way to boots with 2 fire 2 fusion (which is 4 AP slots and 3 of them set pieces).
    Now I can roll a pair of boots that always have 3 slots, upgradeable to 4, with 3 logic runes and rerolling them gives me a choice of 2 out of the remaining 6 elements, and of those elements Fire, Air, and Fusion can be AP and Water, Earth, and Life can be brutality (giving 0.61 AP per point with 25 AP milestones).

That should explain how it now works as intended - random, but only in that the worst piece is like 75% of the best piece instead of 5% of it.

In my opinion, this is a GREAT way to handle this. It is removing a TON of random bullshit but fully maintaining progression. Not only do you still always have a chance of getting a small upgrade finding a new piece of the same equipment, but you also get to look forward to improving it steadilly. Thats pretty cool, and a wonderful compromise.

Also, as another note, there is literally becoming zero reason to craft 'legacy' gear in hopes of its prepatch usefulness making mad money. It is VERY hard to make 4 slot crafted items, and only those will be worth it after the patch (and even then, thats equal to the number possible on dungeon gear).

While J-tal has apparently stated actual stat balance isn't his department, there is still the chance they tweak stat balances more than just the AP changes for heavy/medium armor classes. We just aren't being told about it yet.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    *snip*

Exile of course! Same as forum user name

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Really want to play this game.

Kinda bummed that it's got such a bad rap so far.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

It's a really fun game, the end game is just a little whack right now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    EisenhideEisenhide Registered User regular

I wouldn't say it has a bad rap, yet. We just stepped foot into the first raid(Genetic Archives) tonight!
    It's been a tough road getting attuned and getting *other people* attuned. I literally walked away for a week(other obligations) and when I came back, 6-8 people had caught up in the process and learning curve.

I think it should be said that this, unlike some others, is not a game to expect to easily walk into raiding. The attunement is balls hard and very face -> brick wall-ey. The difference of one good player, in any role, is often the difference between success or failure. It definitely builds trust in your guild/raid mates.

I still enjoy the dungeons, even after months of doing them. Maybe I'm just a bit sick. I think its because I like seeing green numbers.
    Still haven't completed any with a gold medal.

What other game has double-jump anyways?

• Options
    Pick it up, you'll probably have a blast from 1-50. If the endgame doesn't jive with you, you'll still have a good time until then. Don't need to pick up MMOs with the intent that it's the only game you'll play for months or years anymore.

• Options
    *snip*

Join us. /w me ingame, Kragor.

• Options
    The game is excellent fun, assuming you enjoy old school mmo mechanics with a great combat system.

Bugs are annoying, but are getting fixed slowly, and the endgame is incredible, but time consuming.

• Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular

if you really want to try it, then go for it. I have loved the game since I started. I feel like reading this thread gives you a much bigger "doom & gloom" impression than there actually is.

• Options
    *snip*

Join us. /w me ingame, Kragor.
    I will definitely hit you guys up next time I log in! Priorities dictacte that it may have to wait 48 hours, but this game is making me revise said priorities.

I think it's definitely worth it. The game is top not production wise. The music, the graphics, the design, the whole package is there. I'm constantly floored by the fact that stuff in this game feels original, and I tend to be quite cynical on that point. The races, the classes, the combat system, it's really all there.

This being said, the reason why I did not get that enthralled at first is because I did not take the time to properly understand the game mechanics or the interface, which may seem daunting at first (if not for some), but are actually quite well designed for what it tries to accomplish. When I did that, my Spellslinger pew pew machine went from 15 to 20 seconds trying to kill a regular mob down to about 10 - quite often these are doublekills now.

More importantly, the game really starts to open up after a few levels, if not considerably around level 10 and up, which is when you start getting choices on the type of build you will be making. I'm currently 16 or 17 and it just gets better with every level.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I've experienced a similar thing, played the game at launch, got an Engineer up to 35-36, I think, and then just kinda lost steam/interest. Didn't help that life got in the way for about a month.

Well, I jumped back into the game last week and it's like all the joy is back. Also helped that I changed my build up and vastly increased performance. The game is fun again. Also, between 35-40 the end-game story starts picking up and while it's nothing new, the story is very well executed. Chewed through to level 45 (rested xp, best xp) and now I'm excited to play through the last 5 levels and see the end-game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I've experienced a similar thing, played the game at launch, got an Engineer up to 35-36, I think, and then just kinda lost steam/interest. Didn't help that life got in the way for about a month.

Well, I jumped back into the game last week and it's like all the joy is back. Also helped that I changed my build up and vastly increased performance. The game is fun again. Also, between 35-40 the end-game story starts picking up and while it's nothing new, the story is very well executed. Chewed through to level 45 (rested xp, best xp) and now I'm excited to play through the last 5 levels and see the end-game.

Stormtalon? Exile? Join us!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Also, the housing stuff is pretty great.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    surette wrote: »

if you really want to try it, then go for it. I have loved the game since I started. I feel like reading this thread gives you a much bigger "doom & gloom" impression than there actually is.

It is and it isn't. Basically it kinda breaks down like this:

You'll like Wildstar if:
    -You're very casual and take the leveling process slow.
    -You're a raider who can get into a raiding guild that is ACTUALLY raiding(and not one of the many raiding guilds stuck fighting attument.)

You'll end up burning out/disliking Wildstar if:
    -You're a casual who plays a ton or a "semicore" who doesn't plan on raiding. You'll suck up all of Wildstar's very limited casual/non-raid content and burnout.
    -You a hardcore PvPer. You'll probably strongly dislike Wildstar's poorly balanced PvP(at level cap).
    -If you're a raider who gets stuck in a guild who struggles with attunement and roster issues. You'll spend weeks not doing anything or making real progress and burn out.

It's not there isn't fun to be had, it's just more people fall into the second set of groups than the first, which is why the gloom and doom seems so strong. Especially on forums.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Stormtalon? Exile? Join us!

Sadly not. Exile yes. But on Warbringer pvp server.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I'll add that if you like housing you can burn a ton of time working on that. I hadn't really delved into it until I ended up buying a spacious house. I spent 3 hours last night working on a tiled loft for the bedroom. Some people don't even use the stock houses and entirely build their own. Wildstar's housing system is pretty fantastic.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    So after a week of trying to scrape together a group and either getting crickets in guild chat, or a bunch of drunks unable to bronze, much less silver, I finally finished SSM for 4/4. I didn't have much time to spend in-game the past week and I just never lined up with a competent group until last night. On to the world bosses and GA

• Options
    PapaganderPapagander Registered User regular
    The housing is a ton of fun. I ended up spending more time in housing messing around than I did leveling for my month of play....which inevitably was a problem. I really really have to agree with SomeWarlock's assessment. If you want to play this game and want to raid, make sure you get in with a good group that's working solidly on progression. I was a 'semicore' and it became pretty clear early on that raiding was a headache I'd never want, and housing was almost the only thing that might matter to me outside that. Either take your time with this game or get in with a solid guild and be HARDCORE. lol.

Tremendously fun game, definitely worth at least a month of game time.

“There are no happy endings, because nothing ends.” ... also, "Ah, turn blue!"
    XBOne | LyrKing
  • Options
    surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Tynnan wrote: »
    So after a week of trying to scrape together a group and either getting crickets in guild chat, or a bunch of drunks unable to bronze, much less silver, I finally finished SSM for 4/4. I didn't have much time to spend in-game the past week and I just never lined up with a competent group until last night. On to the world bosses and GA
    congrats man! still at 3/4 myself, haven't been online the past few days.

I guess I also don't really see the same issues that a lot of you are describing... I wouldn't consider myself "hardcore," I play when I have free time and I try to clear content, learn, progress, etc. and I've made it to 3/4 silver dungeons. Obviously there were people running the 20-man raid a month ago so I'm nowhere near that level... I seem to fit squarely within the "semi-core" group that everyone is claiming will be miserable. But I'm actually having a ton of fun progressing at my own pace.

surette on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I'd agree with that - one thing to remember is that dissatisfied people will gravitate to forums or social media to express issues they've encountered, causing the perceived satisfaction to be skewed a bit.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    At the same time, it's very easy to hand wave away real problems as a "vocal minority that just happens to be posting on forums".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.