As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Australia, where winter is coming. And also Game of Thrones, months after everywhere else.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Kincaid wrote: »
    Not really sure what to think about this one. I'm very much anti-death penalty, because it just does not work as a deterrent. So what, then, is the point?
    On the other hand, I am not super comfortable interfering in the affairs of a sovereign nation.

I mean, lets be honest here. How much is it interfering? All we are doing is having a conversation with another country, which at the end of the day, is how differences should be resolved. I mean if there is no pressure why would they ever change?

It's better than the alternative where we interfere without using words.
    pimento wrote: »
    Conversation is fine, if you have political leaders capable of having a rational conversation when the cameras are on.

Julie Bishop was working hard behind the scenes in an attempt to get a stay of execution for them, then Tony called the President and threw a spanner in the works of that deal.

http://www.themercury.com.au/news/prime-minister-tony-abbott-warns-of-repercussions-if-aussie-pair-executed/story-fnj4f7kx-1227220961345

http://www.watoday.com.au/it-pro/indonesian-president-at-odds-with-tony-abbott-no-review-of-bali-nine-executions-20150228-13rg9g.html

That's the joke.jpg.

:)

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Not really sure what to think about this one. I'm very much anti-death penalty, because it just does not work as a deterrent. So what, then, is the point?
    On the other hand, I am not super comfortable interfering in the affairs of a sovereign nation.

I mean, lets be honest here. How much is it interfering? All we are doing is having a conversation with another country, which at the end of the day, is how differences should be resolved. I mean if there is no pressure why would they ever change?

Having worked (admittedly only for half a year) in Indonesia, the minute this turned into public statements and appeals that effectively sealed the Bali 9's fate.

There's no way a newly elected president of a country which has such a strong cultural norms regarding pride and saving face is going to publicly back down from enforcing a ruling (however legitimately or otherwise reached) from the judicial arm of government. You never publicly say you were wrong unless it gives you a clear political advantage, and as head of state all decisions made by government appointees become "his" (Even if it happened before his time).

Had the behind-doors discussions progressed there's a good chance an agreement could have been reached. But to publicly state that there will be "consequences"? Yeah, sorry guys - the PM is an idiot, no way Joko backs down now.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    Abbott has shirt-fronted Putin and will soon deliver "consequences" to Indonesia

Must be something his school chaplain taught him

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Are you serious

Tony Abbott is a phenomenally stupid manchild even at the best of times.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Abbott has shirt-fronted Putin and will soon deliver "consequences" to Indonesia

Must be something his school chaplain taught him

Yeah. That his penis must be super small and he must make every effort ever to prove otherwise.

Or, you know, take your ball and go home when you don't get your way.

• Options
    the prevailing attitude at work is that the death penalty is a Bad Thing, but that these men knew the consequences going in

we touched on the idea of rehabilitation, but I think that was met with skepticism because the issue then becomes - would they have reformed if it weren't for the fact they got caught?

for my part, it's pretty shit when anyone suffers for a mistake made over a decade ago, and I do believe people grow

but as Kincaid said, I'm not about telling other sovereign countries what to do (that is a view held by 100% of international students I've spoken to about this, incidentally, so maybe that has something to do with it), because mercy is so easily confused with leniency, and you've got to think about the impact that acquiescing has on your own people FIRST, and the impact it has on other people SECOND

I have absolutely no doubt that Abbott opening his big stupid manchild mouth had a lot to do with how hard the doors slammed shut though

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

Having worked (admittedly only for half a year) in Indonesia, the minute this turned into public statements and appeals that effectively sealed the Bali 9's fate.

There's no way a newly elected president of a country which has such a strong cultural norms regarding pride and saving face is going to publicly back down from enforcing a ruling (however legitimately or otherwise reached) from the judicial arm of government. You never publicly say you were wrong unless it gives you a clear political advantage, and as head of state all decisions made by government appointees become "his" (Even if it happened before his time).

Had the behind-doors discussions progressed there's a good chance an agreement could have been reached. But to publicly state that there will be "consequences"? Yeah, sorry guys - the PM is an idiot, no way Joko backs down now.

I am in no way including Abbott's comments about anything I personally think.

I tried to list things he and I agree with.

I've come up with, I also like blue ties.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't even really get on board with that. Maybe SOME blue ties.

...am I blue tie racist?

• Options
    KincaidKincaid You're standing on my neck KuwaitRegistered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »

This is a much better phrasing of the point I was trying to make. If the Australian government pulled strings behind the scenes to spare its citizens from death penalties, that is an effective use of diplomacy. Coming pretty close to strong arming the Indonesian government (the PM's references to Australian aid money, for example) seems less about actually achieving a result and more about being seen to pursue a result.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I can't even really get on board with that. Maybe SOME blue ties.

...am I blue tie racist?

Oh, Tony and I like different shades.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Tony believes in maintaining a healthy body maybe?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So Amy and I are holidaying in Melbourne again this year, less to do with PAX and more to do with having a nice holiday, but we ARE going to be there over PAX weekend. So we were thinking of grabbing Saturday single passes. Good idea? We don't feel that there is going to be a huge mount of new stuff since last year that will be worth getting three day passes for, you see. Does that seem like 1) a not-stupid idea, and coolsmiley) a good day to pick?
    We will of course be up for meeting up with folks when the time comes, we're not going to be total hermits, but this year is more of a holiday for us rather than a holiday for PAX.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Go out and explore Melbourne. Have fun.

My brother got me a three day pass. I feel bad, since I don't know if I'll have the time this year.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Yea for deffinmax a good idea.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Noooo...
    Spend a weekend in Melbourne just playing board games!

• Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    Do it for sure.

Pick a couple of spots and do a day trip or two.

Maybe head down the Great Ocean Road or out to Toolangi Forest

• Options
    Awko wrote: »
    Do it for sure.

I want to go go-karting. Melbourne has some really nice facilities.

• Options
    Do it for sure.

I.. can I come?

• Options
    Do it for sure.

I.. can I come?

Yeah, if you want to get LAPPED!

(you will likely embarrass me soundly)

• Options
    AmyAmy Registered User regular
    Do it for sure.

That's the plan - to see more of Melbourne and the beautiful surrounds, to visit a family member and to spend day at PAX. We spent like 5 hours in the Melbourne Museum last year and I have referenced what I learnt quite a few time this year already. It was amaze balls.

• Options
    Do it for sure.

I.. can I come?

Yeah, if you want to get LAPPED!

(you will likely embarrass me soundly)

Look, I mean I'd go out there and give 110% and try to make sure that the team's hard work is rewarded with a good position.. etc.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I think GCAP is going to be the week before PAX again this year, too, so I'll be coming to Melbourne the week prior to PAX again. And probably a bit after it as well, all things considered right now.

So I'll be around for some further shenanigans!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Oh man, numbers I wonder if I still have my go kart vouchers from that quiz night! We should go some time!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Oh man, numbers I wonder if I still have my go kart vouchers from that quiz night! We should go some time!

They might even still be valid!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So I just bought a house and, after being messed around a whole bunch by NBNCo, I've finally been told that NBN is no longer available in the area. They had the area listed as being under construction since last October on the rollout map, but in the last month they've taken it off.

After a bit of googling, it appears that my area was a Telstra Velocity community a few years back and that might have something to do with it. Does anyone have any experience with Velocity? From what I understand it's Telstra's extremely more expensive and less versatile version of NBN fibre?

I was under the (naive) impression that because my house has just been built, they would be obligated to wire it up for NBN, but it appears that's not the case at all and there's pretty much no indication of when or if that will ever even happen.

/whinge

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah NBN has been a bit of a shit heap in the last few years. Not a lot of info out there, and often it's just straight up wrong.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Yep, if there isn't already NBN hooked up and available in your neighbourhood, you're plain shit out of luck unless you want to start spending thousands and thousands of dollars.

• Options
    Thanks a lot, LNP!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options

They might even still be valid!

Shit! That was a long time ago, wasn't it?! What am I doing with my liiiiife

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Well, you obviously haven't been go karting.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Tony believes in maintaining a healthy body maybe?

Tony Abbott also likes climbing except he starts at the top and crawls down face first like Dracula.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    "like"

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If Velocity is Aussie's version of Telstra Cable, then you may just be a bit screwed. Up until recently over here, Telstra Cable home owners were kind of boned, in that to get anything other than cable, they needed full installs for the new copper, which would cost. And since you're not able to do NBN, it sounds like that might be your only option.

But again, Aus and NZ telco life is usually quite different.

• Options
    I don't understand why companies continue to think that ripping off their long-term customers is a good idea. Both Foxtel and iinet magically discovered ways to shrink our bills so that we'll end up paying less money for better service than we are currently getting when we shift to our new place after Amy rang up to cancel everything for our move.

I guess the solution is to just ring up and ask to cancel all your shit every six months to ensure you are getting the best possible value for your money. You'd think, following common bloody sense of course, that companies would want to hang on to long-term clients for grim death, but apparently not...

• Options
    Foxtel was charging less for even less content and most people reviewing the new deals said that they were even worse deals than before.

• Options
    I'd say that is a textbook example of the system working as intended

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Also game of thrones is shown the same day.

• Options
    Foxtel was charging less for even less content and most people reviewing the new deals said that they were even worse deals than before.

Well we're getting the same selection of channels for less, no transfer fee, and they dropped the monthly fee for the DVR box.

This discussion has been closed.