Last minute europe travel advice
Hey all. Leaving for a longer (3-4 weeks) trip in some European countries (mainly Italy, France, and Ireland). The cities are Rome, Florence, Paris, and then sort of driving/meandering around Ireland. Being a dirty American traveler on my first trip outside of the americas I just thought I'd ask for any last minute tips from people who are more traveled or have lived in or around these places. I'll start with a few things I've been doing to give an idea of the type of hints I was hoping to get.
- Memorizing a few key sentences in the local language. Things like "I don't speak this language very well" or "I would like to buy a hamburger".
- Memorizing as many numbers as I can in the local language.
- Looking for a translation app for looking up phrases on the fly.
- Looking for an app that could translate things like signs and menus for me on the fly.
- Got a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees and an EMV chip in it. Although it's chip and sign rather than chip and pin, it will still hopefully be less stressful than trying to use my apparently outdated magnetic strip american credit cards.
- Got some tiny locks for locking up the zippers on my backpack when on crowded buses/trains or what not.
Sorry it's kind of vague, but if you have any travel stories/tips that you think would help me out I would appreciate it.
"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible