As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[For Dummies] PC Power Supply Upgrade

KamiKami Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
What's up, G&T? Some of you may know that I recently bought a new graphics card to "celebrate" tax returns, and I couldn't be more excited. However, after purchasing the card, I noticed that my power supply was sufficient, but barely enough. It's 'recommended' for my card to run a 350W power supply, and although I own a 350W, I'd feel alot better spending some money and getting a nice 450W or 500W, just to be on the safe side. I'd like my additional fans to run without hitch, the graphics card to get proper air flow, and have a power supply that wouldn't crack under pressure.

Now, I've done PC work before. I've installed graphics cards, RAM, new hard drives, disc drives, and the like. However, the one device I've never had experience with, is the power supply. Are there any pressing issues, or key elements, that I need to know of before I venture forth through my local retail store? I know that my current power supply is ATX (all of them changed to ATX by, oh, 1995, yes?), 12V, running at a max of 350W.

Could I just go into Store A, purchase an ATX compliant power supply, and be fine? I'd just hate to spend the $70-$80, just to find out that there'd be another hitch in my plan of getting things running smoothly (as is often the case).

Thanks guys. :D

Kami on

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pretty much yeah. Just make sure you get a decent brand of PSU.

Rook on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a beefy Antec 500w PSU. Its worked fine for a year or so now. And yeah you just pull out the old one and put the new one in. And make sure everything gets hooked back up.

Drool on
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks guys, I'm now holding my Antec 500W, about to install. <3

Kami on
    edited April 2007
    Ack. Of course, something had to go wrong.

Well, I installed everything properly, power supply is running great. However, everytime I try to power on the PC with my videocard installed/hooked up, the monitor says it doesn't receive a signal. I don't think there's a way to 'disable' my current graphics card, because there isn't one, I'm running onboard graphics. I made sure everything was hooked up properly, but sure enough, every single time it's in the system, the monitor won't get a signal.

I can't install the new card's drivers until after it's installed, so that's out. Argh, what the fuck. Why can't this be easier?

I'm POSITIVE it's enough wattage. I'm only running a 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gig of RAM, 7900GS, and it's a fucking 500W monster. Rabble rabble argh argh

Kami on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Your 100% sure you got power going to your GPU? Otherwise, I dunno man.

Drool on
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I'm absolutely positive, 6-pin connector and all.

I'm now getting rid of every single piece of evidence that I had onboard graphics, I'm going to go into BIOS, and see if there's an option to disable onboard. If not, I have no idea what the hell to do.

Kami on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Kami wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm absolutely positive, 6-pin connector and all.

I'm now getting rid of every single piece of evidence that I had onboard graphics, I'm going to go into BIOS, and see if there's an option to disable onboard. If not, I have no idea what the hell to do.
    That's what I would suggest, make sure you have onboard turned off in bios.

Additionally, make sure you hooked up the 4-pin power connector to the mobo, I forget that one sometimes and it causes weird things to happen.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn, I'm too late. I was just about to come in here and suggest getting something that WASN'T Antec. They are decent enough, but are prone to odd problems. Also, my true power Trio 550W is like a jet engine. It's ridiculous how loud it is.

However, my friend recently got a Mushkin 550, and I've heard nothing but good things. AND it has a light in side the fan. Bonus!

Sceptre on
    edited April 2007
    Well, shit, BIOS did absolutely nothing for me. There was no 'Primary Display Adapters' option, or else I would've switched that over to PCIe. I've done this type of setup for countless other people, be it family or friends, and the only time I've had this type of fuckup is with my personal set up, of course.

Kami on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    keep the case open and check to see if your GPU cooler is spinning.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited April 2007
    Got everything checked out. Had to call customer support from Intel, and the problem was the display drivers were trying to override the new card. The catch was, there was no way through the BIOS to disable the primary display adapter. We did alot of websurfing for a proper patch, found one, and now everything's running perfectly.

By the way, Command & Conquer 3 with details maxed is absolutely gorgeous. Battlefield's no slouch, either. :D

Many thanks for the help guys, mods, unless someone else has any graphic card/PC issues and would like to post in here, feel free to lock this puppy up.

Kami on