As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trains wreck in [Urban Shadows]

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @‌OptimusZed

Regarding groups: Groups are separated into a few categories, Small (5-15), Medium (20-30), Large (40-60), and Huge (80-100). For each stage above the target, the group deals 1 extra Harm and receives 1 less Harm.

So, lets say a Small group attacks you. As an individual, you're going to be taking an extra harm from every attack, and they're going to be taking 1 less harm from all of your attacks. But if a Medium Group attacks you, it'll be 2 extra damage dealt and reduced, and so on.

But, if you have the ability that lets you fight like a small group, you could take on a group of 5-15 dudes on even ground, and be at a smaller disadvantage against larger ones.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    if this whole scenario isn't at least a little maudlin I will be very disappointed

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Thanks for clearing that up, Ink. I think I'll probably drop the piercing then and grab the ability to hulk out on whole crews.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    if this whole scenario isn't at least a little maudlin I will be very disappointed

To make it all better, you've got special moves that revolve around being Intimate with each other!

• Options
    Actually, a question; does armor piercing negate the lowered damage to groups? If it does, I'm ok as is. I think Chad's probably going to be taking a whoopin' until he gets his feet under him a bit.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Actually, a question; does armor piercing negate the lowered damage to groups? If it does, I'm ok as is. I think Chad's probably going to be taking a whoopin' until he gets his feet under him a bit.

Nope, Armored is its own thing. Groups can be Armored, but the benefit of being a Group is not Armor.

• Options
    Hmm. Well then I guess I'll change it to group fighting. Kind of makes sense that Chad would be exactly the same kind of wolf as Cassie.

• Options
    So I owe Tony money and some favors after that job went (really really) bad, I can't manage to keep my nose clean with the law and I've been creeping pretty hard on Cassie since before I wolfed out.

• Options
    Also guys, don't forget to answer one of these questions!

When you make your character, pick one of these questions to answer:
    * What is the name of this city? Does it have any special meaning? Does it have a nick-name? Does that nick-name have any special meaning?
    * The city has a rather impressive landmark. What is it? What's some of its history?
    * What is the overall condition of the city? Is it falling apart like Modern Detroit? An aging East Coast-style city? A thriving metropolis?
    * What is the city most known for?
    * What's the worst area of the city known as? What's the nicest part of town? Who controls each

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Jessica the Wizard Killer
    Allison-Argent-allison-argent-33739670-485-328.jpg~original
    Name: Jessica
    Look: Female, Caucasian, Dark Clothing
    Demeanor: Volatile
    Character Stats: Blood 2, Heart 0, Mind -1, Spirit 1
    Starting Factions: Mortality 1, Night 0, Power 2, Wild -1
    Intro:
    • Who are you? Jessica Cadwallader
    • How long have you been in the city? Not long. Here on a hunt.
    • How did you become a hunter? Born to it. So a while.
    • Who is the most important person in the city? Desmond O'Byrne, the wizard and corrupting influence rotting the heart of the city.
    • What do you desperately need? Information. I can't take down Desmond without eroding his power base and setting up an ambush.
    Your Prey:
    • What do you hunt, primarily? Wizards.
    • What are their strengths and weaknesses? Incredibly difficult to take down if they know you're coming, but an arrow to the head works just fine if they don't know you're there.
    • What terrible thing have you done to yourself to help even the playing field? Self-administered electroshock therapy to burn out part of her reflection in the astral plane. Ritual scarification to ward against elemental magic. Do either actually work? Jessica's still alive...
    • How are you like them? I've also killed to keep my presence from being known.
    Gear: A shitty apartment, Chevy Camero, a cell phone. The Three Sisters (bow, chain, and mace).
    Custom Weapons:
    • Atropos (High-powered, Scoped Bow (3-harm close/(4-harm)far reload))
    • Lachesis (Blessed, Silvered Handle (1-harm hand holy silver))
    • Clotho (Bladed Hidden Chain (2-harm hand area concealable))

Hunter Moves
    • Slayer: When you Keep Your Cool, roll with Blood instead of Spirit. When you reset your Morality Faction score, take a Debt against all Mortals in play, otherwise mark experience.
    • Deadly: When you inflict harm, increase the harm by 1.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Also I will totally switch up to a Werewolf Hunter if Ink thinks it'll be more fun. I didn't know if he wanted an antagonistic first step or not.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    @jdarksun I've got no problem with you being a Werewolf Hunter if it sounds more fun to you, and if everyone else is ok with you guys potentially killing each other. :stuck_out_tongue:

• Options
    I feel like maybe Chad used to run with one of O'Byrne's kids. Probably one of my frat brothers.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    @jdarksun I've got no problem with you being a Werewolf Hunter if it sounds more fun to you, and if everyone else is ok with you guys potentially killing each other. :stuck_out_tongue:
    We've got a pretty heavy Wild bent right now, wasn't sure if you wanted me to drag Power into it. There's already a bit of connection between three of the characters, wasn't sure how #5 was going to play out. If I'm the odd one out, then maybe I should flip over.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Nah, let's throw some wizards in. They probably use magic to cheat at cards or something. Tony knows one.

Tony knows everybody.

• Options
    @jdarksun well, the interesting bit about the system is you have to interact with every faction in order to level up. So, right now the group is 2 Night & 2 Mortality, but no matter what, to level up, you guys are going to want to drag Power & Wild into the mix, even if its just as contact you've got. Which is fun.

• Options
    Okie dokie! Then how does she look? OK? Because I've got a good feeling about this one.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Okie dokie! Then how does she look? OK? Because I've got a good feeling about this one.

Looks good to me! And it helps narrow down what sort of Threat to throw at you guys, so hey, works for me.

• Options
    @dresdenphile You're still interested, yeah? Or did you want to back out?

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Yeah, if that's still cool. My initial thought was an Immortal, but I'm still grappling with what sort of Immortal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, if that's still cool. My initial thought was an Immortal, but I'm still grappling with what sort of Immortal.

Yeah, no problem! Immortal definitely looks fun.

Oh, maybe you could be an ally of Jessica's? Maybe a Wizard killed your true love and you've been breeding her family to be Wizard Hunters ever since, while looking for that one particular wizard (who is also immortal)?

Maybe Tony (accidentally?) killed you and that's how he became Aware?

Maybe one of our Wolves bit you, and you've gained some aspects without becoming a full Werewolf?

Lots of fun possibilities!

• Options
    If you're old money in this town, you probably know O'Byrne. And it's definitely possible that Chad's family rubs elbows with you.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    I figure I'll cover a few things since we have some people completely new, and everyone is new to this particular hack of Apocalypse World.

First, for our Wolves @OptimusZed @ArcanisTheImpotent You guys will notice your Corruption move is "When you begin a hunt for someone, mark corruption". But you'll also notice, unless you pick Bloodhound, there's no Move specifically to Hunt.

Basically, the Fiction dictates this particular aspect of your character. You can hunt by Hitting the Streets, by Investigating a Place of Power, by Letting it Out, or just by getting into the hunter mindframe. So feel free to play it up, play off your instincts, senses, and urges, and embrace the Wolf when you aim to hunt someone down. You obviously can't do what Bloodhound lets you do freely, but Letting It Out can definitely replicate the effects, just more dangerously, as you'll be marking double corruption unless you roll a 10+.

Does that make sense?

And then, for everyone else, I figure I'll go over a few of the Basic Moves, just to clarify a few things.

Unleash
    This is when you attack someone, regardless of what type of weapon it is. Inflicting Terrible Harm basically means +1 Harm. This one is pretty straight forward, but like I mentioned in the OP, its going to depend on the fiction. This is why the how of all your actions matters.

For instance, if you've got a knife and you have snuck up behind someone (by Keeping Your Cool, perhaps), you don't have to roll to Unleash--you can simply stab them in the back and deal damage. Or, perhaps you think to slice their throat and just kill them outright, regardless of the Harm you'd otherwise deal. At the same time though, if you go to shoot someone in the heart with an arrow whose protected by a magical chestplate or something, its just not going to do anything.

Basically, the routine here is going to be "Describe what you aim to do, and roll if you think you'll need it." If you do need it, I'll use the roll, if not, I'll tell you that the roll doesn't matter and let you know how it turned out.

Escape
    Despite how it might read, this is not actually about defending yourself. This is about getting the hell out of situation all together. Now, that situation could be that you're bound by a spell, or grappled, or locked in a burning building--but either way, its about a scene or condition rather than a single action. Keep Your Cool is what you'd be using to avoid getting shot or stabbed most of the time.

Again, as above, Fiction matters--if you can't think of any way to escape your current predicament, then a roll isn't going to help. But, if you're trapped in a burning building? Let me know how you plan to jump out the window, or bust down the door and find your way through the smoke and flame. Then the roll comes in, and I let you know how it all turns out.

This isn't a game where you have to make a Strength check to break down a normal door before you can even try to escape--you're all supernatural beings, or incredibly lucky/special humans, that sort of stuff just works itself out for you most of the time.

Actually, this ties in to something else. There are no strength checks at all, really. Are you a Vampire? Are you well-fed? Chances are you can flip a car. Are you a Fae? I'll totally buy you being able to fly. Wolf? Sure, go ahead and scale that multi-story building. As long as it makes sense, and makes for good action/drama, then I'm all for it, because you don't need to roll for that sort of stuff. Hurling a car in a rage? No issue. Flipping it to try and crush someone? You'll roll Unleash just as if you were trying to beat them with a crowbar, except that the Fiction is going to dictate that failing the attack with the car is probably going to draw a ton more attention, so it all works out.

Mislead, Distract, or Trick
    This one I'm clarifying because it is a great example of how an action might involve multiple rolls.

So, we've got Sally the Vampire Hunter vs Bob the Vampire NPC. Sally says that she pretends to be a willing victim, luring Bob close, and that as soon as he bites her, he'll stake him through the heart.

In this case, it would be a roll to Trick. If Sally gets a 10+, I'll probably give it to her, no need to roll to Unleash. On a 7-9, she's got a shot, but its going to require a roll. On a 6-, well, Bob's on to her, and uses that to his advantage.

Keep Your Cool
    Like I mentioned above, Keep your Cool is going to be how you dodge some attacks that come your way, as well as just preventing shit from going wrong. One thing to realize is that I don't roll in this game. So, rather than making a Trick roll against you, I'll just be controlling the NPCs, and you'll be rolling the appropriate things.

So, if we flip the Sally/Bob situation, and you're Bob? Sally offers herself up to you, and I have you roll to Keep Your Cool. If you succeed, awesome. But if not, you're in for some hurt (You won't ever get insta-staked, of course, but you're not going to come out of it unscathed).

But, yeah. Keep Your Cool would be used to avoid an attack you see coming and can reasonably do something about. Say that you see Sally the Hunter let loose an arrow in your direction--Keep your Cool will let you dodge out of the way. Have Joe the Werewolf about to take a bite out of you? Keep your Cool, and you can jam a nearby brick in his mouth instead of your leg.

And, finally, Let It Out
    is going to be for when you give in to your base, monstrous nature. If you're a Werewolf and you give in to your inner beast in the middle of a fight? You'll get to roll to Let it Out in addition to your Unleash. If you're a Hunter and you succumb to memories of the past trauma that led you to this life? Boom, you just Let it Out.

Hopefully all of that makes sense and was helpful! I know its a lot, but I figured it'd be more help than harm to have that all dumped in the thread where it could be referred back to later all in one place.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Thanks, Ink. That was a helpful writeup. And it made me feel better about my extra point going into Spirit rather than Blood.

Am I right in thinking that Corruption is a one-way street? So if I hulk out too many times, I'm just done?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Thanks, Ink. That was a helpful writeup. And it made me feel better about my extra point going into Spirit rather than Blood.

Am I right in thinking that Corruption is a one-way street? So if I hulk out too many times, I'm just done?

If you look in your Advance section, you'll see that you can remove some Corruption advances by using level-ups.

So, without using level ups, you can accumulate 25 Corruption points before becoming the Big Bad Wolf. If you spend levels, then you could build up 35.

But otherwise, yeah, it's a dangerous, tempting road.

Edit: though, again, Fiction comes first, so you could absolutely lose some Corruption via events that happen during the course of the game.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Meet Simon Fischer
    MV5BMTY5NTI3NTA1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzA0NTIz._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Look: Male, Other (Middle Eastern), Formal Clothing
    Demeanor: Professional

Blood -1, Heart 3, mind 1, spirit 0
    Mortality 2, night 0, Power 1, Wild -1

Gear
    A palatial estate, a luxury car, a smart phone
    1 Elegant Weapon [Silenced 9mm Glock (2-harm close)]

Moves
    Beyond the Grave
    “Yeah, That Was Me”
    Practiced Liar

Who are you?
    Simon Fischer, soft drink mogul, and the current identity of the immortal Pharaoh Ramses II .

How long have you been in town?
    Before it was a town.

What can’t you live without?
    The finer things in life. And caffeine. Ever since I tasted cola, I can't get enough.

Why do you hate yourself?
    My arrogance and inattention to my beloved led to her being poisoned by one of the court priests, who was a member of a wizard's cult.

What do you desperately need?
    To be reunited with my true love, or, failing that, to destroy the descendants of the cult and wizard responsible for her death.
    @InkSplat: Please take a gander at this, and tell me if there's anything glaringly wrong or missing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @dresdenphile looks good! Just shoot me a PM with how you can truly die.

And with that, lets start getting your Debts sorted out, everybody! Remember, I'm not limiting it strictly to what's on your Archetype sheet--you can feel free to go with something different if you think of something interesting. Just keep the amount of Debts the same.

• Options
    yeah I feel better about bloodhound heheh

• Options
    Almost forgot:

The corporate headquarters and original bottling plant for Pharoah Cola is located here.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @dresdenphile to answer your question about Corruption moves, so that every one else can see it in case their also wondering.

So, you don't start out with any Corruption Moves. Throughout the game, various rolls will require you to take Corruption points. For every 5 Corruption you take, you must then take a Corruption Advance, of which there are 5 options. 3 of them are to take a Corruption Move from your own Archetype, 1 is to take a Corruption Move from another Archetype, and 1 is to retire your character. You don't have to take them in any given order, same as with normal level advances.

In this system everyone, even the monsters, are still struggling with their "humanity". Corruption is you giving in to your base nature. So, for a Hunter, that's pushing friends away and going after her prey even if it means she's surely going to die. For a Vampire, its becoming a total hedonist. A Werewolf is becoming the Wolf completely. That sort of stuff.

Its a mostly one-way road, but its one that you're completely in control of. It lets you give in completely and wrack up a ton of Corruption in a final battle and go out like a boss. Yeah, you die/retire, but maybe you saved the city doing it. Or, maybe you want to be the bad guy, and in the end you turn on the other players, and as a result, even though you almost definitely die, you leave them all much more corrupted and broken in your wake.

Lots of fun possibilities, but they're all up to you, as Corruption is never forced on you.

• Options
    * What is the name of this city? Does it have any special meaning? Does it have a nick-name? Does that nick-name have any special meaning?

The natives called it Waupecony, after the jagged snow-capped mountain range that seems to partially encircle the skyline. Nowadays folk just call the mountain range "the Teeth". The nickname comes from an old legend (and ghost story) that says the city was founded on the corpse of the last true giant, with the mountains being the giant's broken mandible.

That story has been going around a lot the last few years. Nobody's sure why.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    When you make your character, pick one of these questions to answer:
    The natives called it Waupecony, after the jagged snow-capped mountain range that seems to partially encircle the skyline. Nowadays folk just call the mountain range "the Teeth". The nickname comes from an old legend (and ghost story) that says the city was founded on the corpse of the last true giant, with the mountains being the giant's broken mandible.

That story has been going around a lot the last few years. Nobody's sure why.

* The city has a rather impressive landmark. What is it? What's some of its history?
    Chad spends his most of his nights in Silvermist Park, the largest municipal wildlife refuge in the country, and hotspot for supernatural activity, particularly among the Wild. Rumors persist that the park conceals a number of places that were sacred to the local native population. In the early days of the city, the eccentric old patriarch of the Rockwell family built six observatory towers around the park, for reasons no on is quite sure of.
    * What is the overall condition of the city? Is it falling apart like Modern Detroit? An aging East Coast-style city? A thriving metropolis?
    The corporate headquarters and original bottling plant for Pharoah Cola is located here.
    * What's the worst area of the city known as? What's the nicest part of town? Who controls each?
    The bad part of Waupecony is known as The Beehive. Within spitting distance of the Cola plant, it's where many of the Pharoah Cola workers lived before the age of automation. At the time, it was also an area full of apiaries to supply the honey that is part of the local phenomenon's Ancient Egyptian Formula. It is now a blighted landscape of post-war houses and low-slung apartment buildings riddled with gang violence. The bees are still doing quite well, however. Almost suspiciously well! Visitors to The Beehive should beware of the 12th Street Yardboys, headquartered in the area around Yard Square, and the more recent influx of Russian mafia members to the area.

The nice part of town, by contrast, is Lookout Bluff. Located on an embankment overlooking the Saragasset River, it's dotted with old brownstone-style townhouses and several minor corporate buildings. The Pharoah Cola complex dominates the skyline here. It's understood by the criminal element that Mayor O'Byrne has made it very clear to the police department that they need to keep the area quiet, with sometimes-brutal results.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Simon has been watching Jessica's ancestry closely, keeping her safe from harm. I'll take 2 Debts on her.
    How many debts do we need to take, @InkSplat‌?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @dresdenphile you'll want to fill in all the debts on your Archetype sheet, or at least the same number of them. Which I believe is 3 for all of them?

• Options
    Debts:

- Obviously if Tony thinks he can save Cassandra, she told him her secrets and he hasn't told anyone. Especially Chad.
    - Seems like Tony might be in a "Someone thinks they're protecting you, but really it's more like you're protecting them," situation w/ regard to Jessica. Clearly she thinks she's keeping wizards and such off his back, but really he's been trying to downplay her presence in Waupecony when certain people ask uncomfortable questions.
    - Rather than the default give-a-debt option, what if Tony also owes Simon a favor from a past occasion where he was in trouble with the law and the old guy got him out of it?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, there's three on my list. I wasn't sure if it was a "do one of each of the three listed" or "You need X number of points in Debts; get that sum by picking Y Debts from the sheet."

So, let's go with this then for my Debts:
    • Simon has been watching Jessica's ancestry closely, keeping her safe from harm. I'll take 2 Debts on her.
    • Chad killed me at that poker game (maybe?), but I came back to life and he knows my secret now. I'll take a Debt on him.
    • Tony is the first person I call upon when I need something done "under the radar", and I don't want to get my hands dirty. I'll give him 2 Debts.

Edit: @Auralynx snuck his post in there right before mine.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Nestled in the southern Appalachians the city is known for its high crime rates and down trending economy. It still boasts a modest tourist trade thanks to the mountain nature preserves and hiking trails as well as the money coming in from Pharaoh Cola.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful. Give them a Debt.

Jessica has been using some of her neat tricks to keep me on the down low from O'Byrne. I may have wrecked a bunch of his property on a job...

Someone hired you for a job and you fucked it up. Give them 2 Debts.

...which brings me here. After I bit Chad he tracked me down, wanting to learn how to control the beast. I tried to keep him away but I have student loans to pay off and his family cuts big checks. I took the money and during the lessons things got a little out of control. I'm good at teaching kids how to write papers, not werewolf.

You have been tracking someone for a while but it’s only making their life more difficult. Gives them a Debt.

Tony's one of the few decent guys in this hole of a city. I look out for him and it's in his best interests, I just overreacted that one time.

Super Namicchi on