As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, June 30, 2014 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 4, Ep. 20: Thornwatch

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, June 30, 2014 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 4, Ep. 20: Thornwatch

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    J. D. MilknutJ. D. Milknut Lord of Chipmunks Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to play. I've never been to PAX,so I'm waiting for a release. You guys can do it! :)

gekm71tpnnd5.gif
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I played at Card Kingdom (you see the side of my head for about half a second) and it was fantastic. It's still going through changes, so I'm very curious to see if it is still the same game by the time we get to PAX Prime. I doubt I'll get a chance to play unless the numbers are odd. @Manic2k is insisting I play it with him at Aus, by which point it could have changed again.

Overall tips that we got from the first playthrough are that (just as in the Thornwatch) teamwork and tactics will make the biggest difference. Advantage gained from flanking was a huge bonus, and often made the difference between glorious victory and horrible death.

I'm thinking at Aus I'll be the Greenheart. It's a cool support character and would allow me to let the others learn and do damage whilst I just heal and support.

• Options
    LovecraftianfoolLovecraftianfool Registered User regular
    I cant get enough of this PA: The series.. it nourishes my soul :D

• Options
    Tasty WafflesTasty Waffles Registered User regular
    I can't wait to buy this game! It looks and sounds phenomenal.

• Options
    IndyComoIndyComo Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    (removed, misunderstood the game)
    (arg, apparently I didn't)
    ~4min: isn't that just called a GM?

IndyComo on
  • Options
    rumrokhrumrokh Registered User new member
    @indycomo Not all games have the same kind of GM and not all games really even define the GM's role well. A lot of people's primary experience with a game like D&D features a GM whose main behavior is to challenge players logistically by setting up an incredibly dangerous world for players to possibly, hopefully survive as opposed to facilitating story.

• Options
    IndyComo wrote: »
    (removed, misunderstood the game)
    (arg, apparently I didn't)
    ~4min: isn't that just called a GM?

A typical D&D GM is an adversary, and creates the setting as things develop. Typically they will throw up obstacles and challenges to flesh things out. The Thornwatch GM is more of a storyteller, since (at least for now) the plots of the maps are set. They aren't actively trying to block progress, because progress is what moves the story forward.

It's a subtle distinction, and there are more similarities than differences.

• Options
    BlazzBlazz Registered User regular
    For some reason I really want a cool Sprite to quench my thirst @5:40

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    I think the final piece to the puzzle is to have short story adventures included in the box, similar to how you can buy campaign adventures for D&D. You could always release more of these later.
    So who is working on stretch goals for the Thornwatch Kickstarter?

• Options
    IndyComoIndyComo Registered User regular
    I was thinking about that old-school approach to role playing games, but it's so out-dated and such a minority now. Seems odd to me that it would even need explaining.

• Options
    Dman wrote: »
    I think the final piece to the puzzle is to have short story adventures included in the box, similar to how you can buy campaign adventures for D&D. You could always release more of these later.
    So who is working on stretch goals for the Thornwatch Kickstarter?

From the Mike&Mike panel at East: Mike Selinker recommended 40 scenarios in the box. That means 40 playmats/storybooks. Mike Krahulik was so daunted by that he halved the number and still had trouble comprehending it.

I would expect them to put around 30 in the box initially, although depending on the structure of the Kickstarter it would be safe to assume that more playmats as a stretch goal is a safe bet.

Other expansions were talked about, with the Briarlock and an ex-Mother of the Eyrewood being characters currently in the works. Those are also likely stretch goal or add-ons.

Perks could well include fancy dice, (the GMs from the beta were awarded metal Thorn dice, which are awesome) and minis rather than cardboard standees. Plastic or metal tokens rather than cardboard, you get the idea.

• Options
    Onan The SpoilfulOnan The Spoilful Registered User new member
    You can see the progress on Mike's forearm tattoo throughout the episode. :-)
    Maybe it's just growing, like the life cycle of an alien symbiote...

• Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Thornwatch is an incredible game. I understand it's raw as hell right now but mechanically this game is tight. Jamie took me and my pals through it at Pax and let me tell you, it's been months and the experience still has its hooks deep in me. The storyline hook is absolutely killer.

I love it so much. I wish I could justify getting my ass up to Pax Prime and 70% of the reason for that is 'what if I could play Thornwatch again'.

• Options
    rumrokhrumrokh Registered User new member
    @IndyComo Whether that approach is "outdated" or not is completely relative to the experience you seek. And it's not really a minority. Heck, many popular, recently released D&D modules work that way: either a story that's very much on rails or basically a sandbox of danger.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    So I guess this is the season 4 finale. Hope we get season 5!

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    Yeah, weird how there was no post up saying "PA:TS Season 4 Over" or something.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Maybe it's just a midseason intermission?

• Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    This episode is now labeled as the season finale. :\

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    So, genuine curiosity here. I'm sometimes entertained by 4th panels, and I love the comic itself, but I'd like a lot more of the other episodes. This season was 11 4th panels and 9 others--anyone else feel the same way?

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    I just expected the typical 32-episode season.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Sorry, mistaken post. Based on a flawed reading. Ignore.

YoungFrey on
  • Options
    BassBass Registered User new member
    edited July 2014
    I am surprised that this episode has been renamed to be the final one for this season, I expected way more content. I was expecting a post announcing the final episode. Also I feel like the 4th panel took to much space (11:9) from the interesting themed episodes :-(

For me this webseries is a weekly highlite that I keep beeing excited for and is one major point of attraction, please deliver more content - I know it takes a lot of resources to tape, cut, edit, so I would be happy to throw in some extra $

Bass on
  • Options
    LovecraftianfoolLovecraftianfool Registered User regular
    Nooo it cannot be the end.. i must have weekly episodes to sustain my immortality.. NOURISH ME!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Mot BuchananMot Buchanan OhioRegistered User regular
    This is unrelated, but does involve PATV.
    What ever happened to GabeArt?
    That hasn't been updated in a long time and it seems like it would be the easiest to put together and post.

• Options
    edited July 2014
    That's a good question, even the realtimes would be nice to have.

The issue with GabeArt is that Gabe arts but it's sometimes at home.

AntonNUL on
  • Options
    ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular
    I think there comes a moment where every gamer suddenly starts thinking "hey, I want to design a game" :) I know I keep doing it, and it's always the best thing ever when you find that someone you don't even know is enjoying your games.

http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • Options
    SheyetHpn'sSheyetHpn's Registered User new member
    Anyone hear an update on if/when his game will hit the public for sale, I've not even played it and I have a Gamer addict craving for it.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Anyone hear an update on if/when his game will hit the public for sale, I've not even played it and I have a Gamer addict craving for it.

I have heard no info at all, but...
    • They were doing hands-off beta testing (where testers get the game but nobody shows them what they are doing wrong) at PAX East in March.
    • Based on past history, any big announcements are likely to be at a PAX.
    • Signing up at the official site is probably your best way to know something gets announced.

• Options
    AllisturAllistur Registered User regular
    Anyone knows when they will release the season 4 Dvd ? I've heard they had some difficulties with it on the staff podcast :(