Options

[Football/Soccer] "FIFA Ethics Committee" lol

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I so want to post Australia 31 American Samoa 0 in reply to that but I know you don't just mean plays in an International team.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BuchoBucho One careful pwner Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Am I crazy for thinking the Argentines will go down? It's the only thing that I feel certain of in this Cup; that the Belgians would dominate that game.

Aside from Messi they've been very average. They had to rely on lucky bounces to beat Nigeria and barely got 3 points from Iran. They seem more well-organised at the back now but creatively Higuain has done nothing and aside from the last 15 today neither has di Maria.

As much crap as Portugal took for being a one-man team, Argentina have looked no better. I've already locked in Belgium in my Pick 'ems.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    feel free to just replace it with international quality

this does not equate to a league which is going to attract the best players in the world, which is what we were talking about when saying "world class"

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Tav wrote: »
    feel free to just replace it with international quality

this does not equate to a league which is going to attract the best players in the world, which is what we were talking about when saying "world class"

if the MLS was making a bunch of money (and could offer any salary they wanted), they would draw quality players, first by overpaying (like we're doing now with past their prime guys) and gradually working down to normal as the overall quality increased etc

but it isn't, and they aren't, so it doesn't matter

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    evilbob wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    And now the most painful lesson of football.

The ten minutes of hope.

Classic Bogart‌

All America needs now is to be knocked out because of a blatant injustice, perhaps a handball or a devious dive and a penalty, and that should fire up enough anger to make football a part of your hearts forever. Grudges against entire countries will be cherished, and victories over your hated foes will taste sweeter than wine.

Who do Americans really dislike? I can't really tell, and I think they mostly just want to win. Where I want African teams to burn Europe down.

Based on the previous thread, they mostly hate Italy. They will even support Uruguay over Italy.

I started following the us team in 2006, so Fuck Italy forever.

Edit: I really should refresh the page once in a while.

Whatever, fuck Italy forever, even though Super Mario nearly won me over this year.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I think Kansas City is going to have a hard time holding on to Matt Besler after the tournament he had.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I think Kansas City is going to have a hard time holding on to Matt Besler after the tournament he had.

Same with Seattle and Yedlin, really. Not much of a track record yet, but he looked awfully good on a big stage today.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

Same with Seattle and Yedlin, really. Not much of a track record yet, but he looked awfully good on a big stage today.

I had originally assumed Yedlin was playing outside the U.S. and wasn't later that someone pointed out he was at Seattle that we were all like "he looks like he plays in Europe".

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    And now the most painful lesson of football.

The ten minutes of hope.

Classic Bogart‌

All America needs now is to be knocked out because of a blatant injustice, perhaps a handball or a devious dive and a penalty, and that should fire up enough anger to make football a part of your hearts forever. Grudges against entire countries will be cherished, and victories over your hated foes will taste sweeter than wine.

Who do Americans really dislike? I can't really tell, and I think they mostly just want to win. Where I want African teams to burn Europe down.

Based on the previous thread, they mostly hate Italy. They will even support Uruguay over Italy.

I started following the us team in 2006, so Fuck Italy forever.

Edit: I really should refresh the page once in a while.

Whatever, fuck Italy forever, even though Super Mario nearly won me over this year.

Fucking Baloteli. He's moody, petulant, arrogant, everything you should hate in a player. But for some reason he's just so damn likeable.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    Yeah...he probably will be soon. I'm surprised how well he looked going forward and how (relatively) infrequently he got exposed on D.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Isn't Italy notorious for playing dirty?

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    But yeah, do you know what will happen if America gets interested in football? All your additional talent will start joining European clubs and the national team will perform roughly the same as players only see eachother on international breaks.

If america was nuts for soccer we could most likely support a world class league

I mean duh this is hypothetical because it will never happen that we as a nation are into soccer as the rest of the world

Players are still going to go to where (a) there's a history/certain level of prestige (b) less inter game travelling (c) no salary cap.

Yeah these are the obstacles to it now

Mostly the last one

Russia has proven world class players have no problem going to enormous countries with no prestige as long as they're paid by the boatload

You're forgetting about the fact that Russian teams have access to the Champions League.

The MLS doesn't have that and it's at a significant disadvantage for attracting top talent as a result.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'd be more annoyed at the 105 minutes they spent defending.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Thought that was a bit out of line personally. Not even the 4th official's decision how much time to add on.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    But yeah, do you know what will happen if America gets interested in football? All your additional talent will start joining European clubs and the national team will perform roughly the same as players only see eachother on international breaks.

If america was nuts for soccer we could most likely support a world class league

I mean duh this is hypothetical because it will never happen that we as a nation are into soccer as the rest of the world

Players are still going to go to where (a) there's a history/certain level of prestige (b) less inter game travelling (c) no salary cap.

Mostly the last one

Russia has proven world class players have no problem going to enormous countries with no prestige as long as they're paid by the boatload

You're forgetting about the fact that Russian teams have access to the Champions League.

The MLS doesn't have that and it's at a significant disadvantage for attracting top talent as a result.

This is true

Let mls into the champs league do it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

They are responsible for some of the dirtiest games in the history of soccer.

Yes.

• Options
    Also apropos of nothing I really hope we find some way to sort out getting Diego Fagundez citizenship because I don't want him to get capped for Uruguay

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Yes.

Also some of the best.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Mostly the last one

This is true

If I were the MLS, I'd try and get into the Copa Libertadores

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

Sparvy wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

Yes.

Also some of the best.

Debatable.

:p

• Options

Mostly the last one

This is true

If I were the MLS, I'd try and get into the Copa Libertadores

Let the mls all stars into europa league (they still would get totally stomped)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    It'd be huge if we could get a permanent place in Copa America. Surprised it hasn't happened. We'd be a perfect villain - the arrogant, English speakers from the North who come to rain on South America's parade.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I'm not even mad. The game was amazing. Just a glimmer of things to come out of this program. I think soccer is really coming into it's own in the USA and we're going to be a permanent fixture in the soccer world for many years to come.
    soccer :bz

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Bucho wrote: »
    Am I crazy for thinking the Argentines will go down? It's the only thing that I feel certain of in this Cup; that the Belgians would dominate that game.

Aside from Messi they've been very average. They had to rely on lucky bounces to beat Nigeria and barely got 3 points from Iran. They seem more well-organised at the back now but creatively Higuain has done nothing and aside from the last 15 today neither has di Maria.

As much crap as Portugal took for being a one-man team, Argentina have looked no better. I've already locked in Belgium in my Pick 'ems.

I think they can beat Belgium. I think they will lose to Netherlands in the next round. My guess for finals this World Cup has been Germany vs Netherlands and so far it's holding up.

• Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    For kicks, I went back with a stopwatch and rewatched the second half of overtime. I counted six minutes of stoppage time. Playing just the one minute was kinda nuts.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Well, it's all mystic marbles time anyway. Despite supposed time added on, most 90 minute games actually get less 70 minutes of 'live ball' play. And somehow that's 1-2 minutes at halftime and 4-5 at the end of the second half.

So yeah, stopping and starting your watch and coming up with a number 5+ times greater than the actual amount of time that's needed? About par.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Klinsmann's audible "Fuck" was well deserved.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Yeah, when that board went up and I saw 1 minute stoppage, I let out a long whistle and said 'someone's going to be pissed'. And then ... Yep.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    It was me, I was pissed.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I remember when they introduced telling people how much stoppage there would be, at the '94 World Cup. Before then, you'd just run around watching the clock wondering when it would be all over. The whistles from the stands demanding the game ending trill from the ref would grow and grow as those supporting the current score would get increasingly restless. And then the game would stop, without warning.

Ironically, announcing the amount of stoppage time was sold as an advance designed to appease American audiences of the World Cup, used as they are to knowing exactly how much time remains thanks to their diet of explicit sports timekeeping clocks. It treated with some derision in established football nations, an unecessary quirk to appease a market of people who didn't care about the established traditions of the sport.

• Options
    Went looking to see if I could find statistics - I know I'm being a homer here, but it's seemed like every time the US was losing we got short stoppage, and every time we were winning we got long ones.

bialik-stoppage-time-21.png?w=610&h=236

All I could find was averages.
    However, in the first half, it takes 10 minutes and 23 seconds of delays to add up to one minute of stoppage time, whereas in the second half, five minutes and 28 seconds typically add up to one minute of stoppage time. The reluctance of officials to add much time at the end of the first half was apparent in the U.S. match, when Opta logged two delays that totaled over three minutes,6 and reporters noticed an epic water break, yet the referee added just two minutes of stoppage time. (All told, the ball was out of play for 18 minutes and 47 seconds in the first half.)

The discrepancy between stoppage time awarded in each half may be because substitutions are more common in the second half. It also could reflect the much greater importance of stoppage time in the second half, when it can make the difference between a win and a draw, as it did for the U.S.

Notwithstanding the higher number of second-half subs, in this World Cup there hasn’t been a big difference between time the ball is out of play in the first half and in the second half: 19 minutes and 43 seconds in the first, 22 minutes and 27 seconds in the second.

No statistics for stoppage in extra time, but given 1 minute stoppage is effectively minimum, 6 minutes of stopped play in the second extra time seems like it should work to 2 minutes, but yeah....personal bias. That much would work to 1 minute stoppage in the second half (on average), but that's difficult to equate when 6 minutes is pushing up on "half of the period."

Ah well, nothing really that can be done about it.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    I remember when they introduced telling people how much stoppage there would be, at the '94 World Cup. Before then, you'd just run around watching the clock wondering when it would be all over. The whistles from the stands demanding the game ending trill from the ref would grow and grow as those supporting the current score would get increasingly restless. And then the game would stop, without warning.

Ironically, announcing the amount of stoppage time was sold as an advance designed to appease American audiences of the World Cup, used as they are to knowing exactly how much time remains thanks to their diet of explicit sports timekeeping clocks. It treated with some derision in established football nations, an unecessary quirk to appease a market of people who didn't care about the established traditions of the sport.

A lot of the American "suggestions" are pretty awful, honestly, but I would totally be on-board with a clock that counted down instead of up, and which actually stopped counting down when a player was injured or during substitutions (but kept running for throws, free kicks, etc).

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'd be totally fine with the clock stopping every time the ball wasn't in play if the game time was slightly shorter to reflect the difference.

So many teams in League Two were wasting time at every set piece in the first half of away games last year, was very frustrating to watch.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Went looking to see if I could find statistics - I know I'm being a homer here, but it's seemed like every time the US was losing we got short stoppage, and every time we were winning we got long ones.

bialik-stoppage-time-21.png?w=610&h=236

All I could find was averages.
    However, in the first half, it takes 10 minutes and 23 seconds of delays to add up to one minute of stoppage time, whereas in the second half, five minutes and 28 seconds typically add up to one minute of stoppage time. The reluctance of officials to add much time at the end of the first half was apparent in the U.S. match, when Opta logged two delays that totaled over three minutes,6 and reporters noticed an epic water break, yet the referee added just two minutes of stoppage time. (All told, the ball was out of play for 18 minutes and 47 seconds in the first half.)

The discrepancy between stoppage time awarded in each half may be because substitutions are more common in the second half. It also could reflect the much greater importance of stoppage time in the second half, when it can make the difference between a win and a draw, as it did for the U.S.

Notwithstanding the higher number of second-half subs, in this World Cup there hasn’t been a big difference between time the ball is out of play in the first half and in the second half: 19 minutes and 43 seconds in the first, 22 minutes and 27 seconds in the second.

No statistics for stoppage in extra time, but given 1 minute stoppage is effectively minimum, 6 minutes of stopped play in the second extra time seems like it should work to 2 minutes, but yeah....personal bias. That much would work to 1 minute stoppage in the second half (on average), but that's difficult to equate when 6 minutes is pushing up on "half of the period."

Ah well, nothing really that can be done about it.

Am I reading that graph right? Of 45 minutes of the first half 19.7 were "dead time" when play was not going on? That doesn't sound even remotely correct.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I like the way the clock works now.

Much faster paced than American football where you're taking a five minute break every three minutes of play.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    For those of you with issues about the stoppage time, keep in mind that when the whistle blew to end the game, Belgium had a 4 on 1 from half. Yeah, Belgium blew a ton of chances and The US had Howard in net, but with a 4 on 1, Belgium was very likely to score to ice the game anyways. An extra minute or two of stoppage very likely wouldn't have mattered

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Stoppage didn't lose us this match, not taking chances and holding back for ninety minutes did. I gotta believe that our team knows that and they'll spend the next four years working on it, winning our first world cup in the homeland of that tiny bald weirdo who keeps trying to ruin the 21st century.

Miracle on Turf!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    For those of you with issues about the stoppage time, keep in mind that when the whistle blew to end the game, Belgium had a 4 on 1 from half. Yeah, Belgium blew a ton of chances and The US had Howard in net, but with a 4 on 1, Belgium was very likely to score to ice the game anyways. An extra minute or two of stoppage very likely wouldn't have mattered

well i mean if there aren't 30 seconds left you probably don't bomb the entire team across midfield but i'm not really complaining about the stoppage time either

we had chances we didn't convert em

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I find it hard to be upset about stoppage in extra time. If you can't put the game away in the regulation 90, then I'm not sure you have a convincing case to advance if you're behind in ET. Exceptions do exist, such as unfair penalties or other unfortunate officiating, but that certainly wasn't the case today.

This discussion has been closed.