As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wearing a badge and gun

tuscloud311tuscloud311 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So i applied for the local police department as a Police Officer Recruit. i've been stuck in a computer-esque job for almost 4 years now, and not going anywhere. I have 3 years of college under my belt and the youngest employee this company will ever see....but my manager wont let me move up in the rank due to me dropping out of college.

Thus, a career change.

I always wanted to be a cop, nows my chance. Moreso, i wanted to be an FBI agent (wow, i sound like im 10). My sister's house got broken into the other day, and i wanted to be all over that shit. i even helped out the cop dust for prints and shit and give him ideas and what not...i seriously seemed like i was wearing a badge and gun that night.

so, like i said...i applied. My question to you is: anyone have experience in the recruitment process? This shit looks intimidating as all hell....i applied already, so they will review that. Then i have to go downtown to take the written test next month. Is this a hard test?

Next, i have to take an oral examination/interview thing....pressure on there too, right?

Then i have to do some physical training....which is just situps for a minute, pushups for a minute, 1.5 mile run, and a 300 meter run....problem is...i live in Tucson where its HOT AS FUCK. any tips for that shit either?

After all that is said and done, and get accepted, i will be the academy....wtf is that like? is that where i learn about the law/procedures and what not? do i get to shoot shit?

Questions recap:
Is the written test hard?
Is the oral interview thing challenging?
Any tips to get by the physical training in the massive heat?
Any information on the Academy?

Thanks guys.

tuscloud311 on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Most law-enforcement agencies require a college degree these days, and the FBI definately requires one. Are you ever planning on finishing?

Edit: I believe you also have to take a polygraph test, but I could be mistaken.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Most law-enforcement agencies require a college degree these days, and the FBI definately requires one. Are you ever planning on finishing?

Edit: I believe you also have to take a polygraph test, but I could be mistaken.
    FBI does, but as far as I know, all most law enforcement positions require anymore is a high school diploma. Hell, the CHP starts at $70k, and all they require is high school.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My Tae Kwon Do instructor was like a head instructor of the police academy that was at the college I was attending. All I can relate to you is he said during training you get to have a stun gun and pepper spray used on you, oh and also the tear gas. He says its loads of fun for the instructors, not so much for the students. As for the test it is most likely a basic civil servant test along with a personality test. I had to take one when I was going to be a 911 operator, it basically makes sure you can read and write, but the one I took had this damn color part on it had to match colors, well that sucked since I am color blind, red and blue hues. For the running be sure to drink plenty of water during the week before the physical test, I wouldnt drink too much right before the test, especially if you are not used to running, could end up throwing up. I am not positive and the person who gives the test might be able to verify this but you might have to run that mile under 10 minutes or something. No info really on Academy life, unless you count police Academy, and the movie F.E.Ds I think its a good goal to see about getting into the FBI, if you have good computer skills they may need you. Also I think they like to take people with either previous law enforcement of military experience. Good luck to you!

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As for you running + heat dilemma, I was running 3 miles about 5 times a week out in Iraq, and sometimes it was cold, but many times it was damned hot.

My tips for you: drink water. LOTS OF WATER. Other than that, just run a little bit before hand so you can get used to it. You're already used to the climate since you live there, so there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Wear as little as possible, and have some good running shoes. Underarmor works, but any thin material should be fine. Bulky materials will hold in heat and make you more likely to overheat. Overheating is bad, mmkay?

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

FBI does, but as far as I know, all most law enforcement positions require anymore is a high school diploma. Hell, the CHP starts at $70k, and all they require is high school.

Yup... my bad. Wonder how I messed that up so bad... I was a CJ major in college, too. Maybe I was thinking of moving up in the department, like becoming a Detective.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Every Department is Different

Some will give you a background investigation like you were about to meet The President, some will say, "You have no warrants, you're hired"

Things you can expect to do, but not guaranteed:

Lots of running. If theres any sort of Academy, rather is 8-5 and you sleep at home, or 6-10 and sleep at their barracks, you can expect to run a few miles a day.

Written tests shouldnt be too hard. basic aptitude tests shouldnt be too hard if you have a high school education. Law Enforcement related stuff that you'd learn in an academy is going to be stuff they teach you. They dont expect you to know exactly when you have to read someone a Miranda warning, they teach you that stuff when you get there.

If the department uses Tasers, you can expect to be Tased. If they use Pepper spray, you can expect to get sprayed.

Your best bet is to check the department's website, and see what they want/require. College degrees never hurt, and in some cases are required. FBI Agents dont require college degrees, but Special Agents do.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    the tests and stuff arent all that difficult from what I hear, the biggest thing in the hiring process is the history and the polygraph, it would probably be a good idea to start putting together things that would help you reconstruct your own life history because you're gonna have to do that before they hire you and send you to academy. Basically coming out of the process your department will want to know you and everything you've ever done better than you or you mother would, start getting telephone numbers and addressess of neighbors ex girlfriends roomates etc. The more the better. And if they ask you anything, DO NOT LIE, tell them the whole truth even the stupid shit you did when you were younger. These guys will dig if something smells and they will find out what you're not telling them. Good luck with the process! and remember always be upfront and honest with them, its the only way you're gonna get the job

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cool, thanks so far guys...the taser and pepper spray made me grin. that sounds fun, in an uncomfortable way.

I was a little worried on what basic knowledge i need BEFORE i step foot on their property. like CangoFett said, im sure they dont expect me to know when to read off the rights to someone....but my knowledge about cops goes to the extent of the "Cops" program on TV. sure, most of it is common knowledge, but as far as procedures go and what not, im clueless....im assuming that they will teach you this shit as if youre a retard, right?

oh, and as far as the background check and stuff goes....im clean. I have ZERO criminal records or even something as small as a speeding ticket. im a civil angel for christ's sake. nothing i need to really worry about there.

and i heard the written test is pretty much a joke, just to make sure you arent like 12 years old mentally. is that true?

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Just drink lots of water, you will notice that its hot but it won't make you feel terrible/wreck you in just 1.5 miles.

If you want to fight crime avoid the Tuscon PD. The crime rate goes up up up and they keep shifting their resources towards writing M.I.Ps for the easy cash. Fuckheads.

Walter on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cool, thanks so far guys...the taser and pepper spray made me grin. that sounds fun, in an uncomfortable way.

I was a little worried on what basic knowledge i need BEFORE i step foot on their property. like CangoFett said, im sure they dont expect me to know when to read off the rights to someone....but my knowledge about cops goes to the extent of the "Cops" program on TV. sure, most of it is common knowledge, but as far as procedures go and what not, im clueless....im assuming that they will teach you this shit as if youre a retard, right?

oh, and as far as the background check and stuff goes....im clean. I have ZERO criminal records or even something as small as a speeding ticket. im a civil angel for christ's sake. nothing i need to really worry about there.

and i heard the written test is pretty much a joke, just to make sure you arent like 12 years old mentally. is that true?

Pretty right on the written test, for most departments I'd say. Im sure theres a couple that are on scale with MENSA or something.

And yeah, they are going to teach you everything. Chances are you dont know the billions of tiny nuances on when you can or cant search, how to properly search, where to search, how to make sure the guys buddy isnt about to shank you while you're searching him, and so on.

Going in- its not so much about what you know, as what you are willing to learn.

Edit: Also, http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/Employment/

CangoFett on
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If no one's said it yet, get up before the sun and run then. Should be the coldest it will get, and will let you start off your day and get into the same rythm you will probably experience at an academy. I would suggest you are comfortably in shape before you enter the training. If you are already concerned about passing the class room aspect you don't need the added worry of strainful PT every morning to keep you up nights.

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    yeah, i went to that site. i registered and applied. i guess they recieved the "application" and i will do more with them later...

its a weird process...the application is very very very basic. i guess they arent looking for your skills just yet. the most stress they put on it was about school and work experience. everything else was just cast aside.

i guess ill have to wait till after the written test to see if i actually "qualify" for anything. but as far as the initial conditions being met...im good.

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    They'll give you a psych test to make sure you're not crazy. May even ask weird questions like if you look in the toilet before you flush, for example.

I'm sure the Academy will be kinda like boot camp so be sure to get fit before you start and drink plenty of water.

Good Luck!!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ok, small update so far (yeah, and its only been like half a day)

i realize that i want in a different police department. I dont want in TPD, i want in PCSD...Pima County Sherrif's Department. I think that would be a little more fun and more of my style. so i put in an application there too....

1. is that bad? to have 2 diff applications like that? I think i might only follow through with the PCSD, but if it falls through, will i be able to fall back onto the TPD application?

and 2. Academy starts October 22...i think i have a lot of time to get ready =).

tuscloud311 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Multiple applications is normal, dont worry.

A lot of departments do things differently. Some micro manage more, some want certain things done more, etc. Its one of those things that you wont really know the differences until you've been to both, which most people dont do.

On a similar note, every department has its problems. Every department has a handful of idiotic sergeants, or some moron in policies whos never done a day of police work, or something. Its just a matter of how long you're there til you realize it.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In terms of running, you really need to consider something.

If you do policing you will need to run occasionally. If you do policing in Tuscany where (you claim, I don't know I live in australia) it is hot, you will need to run occasionally when it's hot. It's going to purely case of HTFU and getting out there and doing it. They have minimum fitness standards for a reason. I'd recomend starting out running in the morning and getting the intial distances down pat. Then start running in the afternoons when it's warmer so you know you can actually cover the distances you need to.

Blake T on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is the written test hard?
    Is the oral interview thing challenging?
    Any tips to get by the physical training in the massive heat?
    Any information on the Academy?

Thanks guys.

They should have some sort of study material. The better you know that the better you are going to do. Another thing you can do is drop by the local police precinct and ask about the test. Someone should be happy to give you a few ideas on how to prepare.

The best advice I've ever heard in an oral interview is don't try to B.S. them. These guy to lots of interviews and will be able to smell the B.S. a mile a way. The second best advice I've ever heard about interviews is don't ever volunteer information. Make your answer short and to the point. The more info you give the more questions it will lead too.

Start working out now. Visit the local gym and talk to the trainers about the best ways to work out in the heat. One thing to make sure you get down pat is the proper way to breathe while running. It sounds silly but long distance runner has a way of controlling their breathing that helps them keep going.

While you are down at the station asking about the test it would be a good time to ask about the Academy. It almost certain that it will be run like a military boot camp. You have load mean drill instructors in your face giving you crap for stuff most wouldn't think twice about. Try to keep in mind these guys are trying to teach you the skills to keep yourself from getting shot.

One of the best things I think you can learn about being a cop is how to deal with the public. All cops I've run into have come off like jerks to me just because they have no diplomacy or tact. It is possible to be civil and polite and get your job done. You don't need to be a hard ass 24/7.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't read most posts, but my uncle is a Lieutenant in Monterey and his advice for interview processes is to tell the truth at all stages. Just be honest.

He says that most review boards are interested in honesty. So if they ask a question like, "have you ever been in a room with illegal substances." Or, "have you had contact with friends or family who abuse illegal substances." Just be honest. Say when and who, if the answer is yes. As long as it wasn't last week or in your recent adult life they won't disqualify you. If the answer is no, then you're golden. And if you have ever comitted a crime then you shouldn't really have applied then ;-)

Some ask for polygraphs, but most are just general review boards with the interview comittee. Most can spot lies or truth bending. I don't know much about the rest of the processes but it is a good idea to be honest and enthusiastic. (except about shooting, cracking jokes in an interview is a good idea, cracking jokes about safety with officers, not so much.) But definately talk about how your other job was going no-where and didn't contribute to the community. Talk about being interested in crime prevention, and law enforcement, but don't imply you know all there is to know. Be humble. You'll do fine.

As for fitness? Yeesh I don't know, begin training I guess, see if there is a mentorship oppurtunity maybe.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams