As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ESPN Magazine: The [chat] issue

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    i think HL2 might still be my favourite single player FPS experience ever

I really liked... Dishonoured, Serious Sam, Mirror's Edge (though that's a different genre really), Deus Ex and Deus Ex HR, and the Void

but HL2 was the most... affecting.

hmmmmmm

mine would probably be Deus Ex and Deus Ex HR, Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 1 and 2, No One Lives Forever, and Tron 2.0

I guess the common denominator to all of those is that none of them are pure shooters. I think I got kind of bored of doing nothing but shooting after playing through three full episodes of Wolfenstein 3D.

i never played thief 1 or 2, only like half an hour of SS2, and played neither of the others

i don't even know what "no one lives forever" is!

i did like thief deadly shadows a lot until there were a bunch of... robots and zombies

to be honest the first zombie level scared the christ out of me and i quit

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular

I really liked... Dishonoured, Serious Sam, Mirror's Edge (though that's a different genre really), Deus Ex and Deus Ex HR, and the Void

hmmmmmm

mine would probably be Deus Ex and Deus Ex HR, Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 1 and 2, No One Lives Forever, and Tron 2.0

I guess the common denominator to all of those is that none of them are pure shooters. I think I got kind of bored of doing nothing but shooting after playing through three full episodes of Wolfenstein 3D.

I grew up on shareware versions of Doom, Doom 2 and Wolfenstein but didn't touch a fps again until Goldeneye came out. That and Duke Nukem for the N64 helped get me through high school with my friends.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I kind want skyrim mods that make it totally realistic. And also make the towns not total barren wasteland places.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    that was also why i loved half life 2's stretch of highway driving

one of my favourite levels in a video game actually

it felt like a real highway, and the little abandoned buildings felt like lived-in places and were rich with both promise and threat

the sound as you pull up and stop and get out and ready one of the weapons from your arsenal

a lot of people didn't like that level but it was the best, to me, and i would love a game that is all about that kind of lonely travel by vehicle through a post-apocalyptic - or even better, just post-decline - landscape and scrounge and fight desperately in short bursts

vehicle travel is something I love in games and never get enough of, and I live in hope that more RAM/faster CPUs/etc will remedy this

so many games go to such lengths to feel realistic and then cut themselves off at the knees by finding every excuse they can to keep you on foot in a limited space, preferably a corridor

I love the driving in Borderlands 2, especially around the nicer, greener areas.

I love the driving bits in the Borderlands games and I always wish there were more of them.

I love co-op driving in general, I think. Like, piling into a virtual car with some friends and tearing off across the landscape while shooting at bad guys/police/etc is incredibly satisfying to me.

unless you're the guy who gets the "just sit in the truck bed and point one direction" spot.

yeaaaahhh I don't know why the bothered with steam workshop for that one

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Monolith-made shooter involving spies and humor. A little more serious than the Get Smart TV show, a little less serious than James Bond movies.

• Options
    i just realized my first FPS was Doom 2, pirated over a 14.4 modem from my cousin, on my mom's office Macintosh

I also actually managed to find the level editor (Hammer?) and made my very first game levels of any kind therein and experienced the joy of virtual creation

i wish i'd stuck with it more aggressively/obsessively and gotten into coding early!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    my first fps was counter strike source you damn olds

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I think people singing the praises of HL2 combined with playing it years after it came out kinda ruined it for me

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

DE_DUST 24/7 NO AWPS

• Options
    my buddy's first LAN game was Quake TF using coaxial cables

you had to link everyone up in a ring, and if anyone left the network it all shut down

and you had to manually configure your IP addresses because there was no router

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    makin dat overtime money money

• Options
    i just realized my first FPS was Doom 2, pirated over a 14.4 modem from my cousin, on my mom's office Macintosh

I also actually managed to find the level editor (Hammer?) and made my very first game levels of any kind therein and experienced the joy of virtual creation

i wish i'd stuck with it more aggressively/obsessively and gotten into coding early!

Played so much Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer back in the day

We actually talked our parents into getting a dedicated second line for the modem because they got tired of us yelling "DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE" up the stairs

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

what are you, 12?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Justin Dufour, president of a company that sells inventory management software to pot stores, bought four pre-rolled joints for $100. He chalked up high prices to the law of supply and demand, but thinks the prognosis for the industry in Washington is solid.

"It's a budding industry," Dufour said. "It's got everything we need to make it a success."

*nods*
    hehe

budding industry

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My first FPS was Wolfenstein.

edit: Do I win something?

I mean,

like,

there was actually the one game with the tank and the flying saucer thingies... that involved shooting and was in the first person.

for, you know, like atari.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Up for Blood Bowl, Cinders? I finished naming my Skaven.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    God, the N64 had a dozen good FPS games ... and the PSX only had Doom and Medal of Honor. Poor lil' fella.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    -skippydumptruck‌ -bloodyroarxx‌ -thatassemblyguy‌ -spool32‌

I am now running Windows 8. Hail.

@Elki
    Terminal wrote:
    uname -r
    3.11.0-12-generic

:rotate:

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    My first FPS was Goldeneye, but the first FPS i enjoyed was Portal.

• Options
    I think mine was Wolfenstein?

Although I guess you could make an argument for a super old tank simulator game that I can't recall the name of as it was basically a fps

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I kind want skyrim mods that make it totally realistic. And also make the towns not total barren wasteland places.

I just enjoy fighting dragons in a damn whiteout blizzard

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Up for Blood Bowl, Cinders? I finished naming my Skaven.

Do I have you on steam? I should have you on steam.

I played an AI skaven team the other night and learned a valuable lesson in never going "Eh, I'll let that gutter runner sit near the end zone, it isn't like they're going to be able to make a pass from the other end of the pitch..."

• Options

Although I guess you could make an argument for a super old tank simulator game that I can't recall the name of as it was basically a fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrYkbEbnEQ

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    what up

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

hmmmmmm

i never played thief 1 or 2, only like half an hour of SS2, and played neither of the others

i did like thief deadly shadows a lot until there were a bunch of... robots and zombies

to be honest the first zombie level scared the christ out of me and i quit

thief 1 and 2 (they came out within like a year of each other so are effectively the same game) had terrible graphics but really amazing sound design, which they used to their advantage by keeping it dark and having lots of gross squishy-sounding monsters shuffling around

and they were kind of sadistic about occasionally sticking you into levels where the vast majority of your tools and items were useless. they were sold as stealth games but definitely had a strong streak of survival horror in a few spots.

what I think is very clever about the thief games in general is that the fundamental problem of stealth games is that your entire goal is not to be seen or interact with anybody or most things in the gameworld, which makes storytelling problematic. they solved this by just having a (particularly for 1998) strong central character who would provide running commentary on the levels as you played.

No One Lives Forever is a comedy FPS that's a parody of 60s spy movies, very in the Austin Powers vein, except with a girl main character who gets a bunch of girly James Bond gadgets, like a compact that's a lockpick, or a lipstick that is also plastic explosive. It's very funny, particularly if you're versed in the source material at all. One of my favorite levels is when you go to the evil organization's floating space station and the floors are all color-coded as "Sienna Sector," "Mauve Sector," "Taupe Sector," etc, and you get a 60s space age laser gun that makes bad guys vanish in a bad Chroma-Key special effect like an episode of OG Star Trek. The really odd thing, though, is that it's surprisingly well-written and kind of affecting. Nonsense things happen and one of the bosses is like, I dunno, a Scotsman who plays deadly bagpipes or something, but the main characters are all actually written kind of seriously.

@Evil Multifarious

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I dunno if any of you good D&D folk will be at PAX South, but I will be!

Hope to see some of you there

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Kitty is clean, but wet confused and angry. I am much of the same, kindred spirits he and I.

Wifi is not working for some reason.

Gotta wake up in a few hours to get to this appointment. Sleepy time for me, hopefully the cat will not be harassed by The Cat.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

the dragon fights were boring

• Options

the fights were boring

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I too wish to have my totally unrealistic demands met

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I just bought 4 pairs of pants. I predict much wearing of pants in my future.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I dunno if any of you good D&D folk will be at PAX South, but I will be!

Hope to see some of you there

Ludious, chelle, me, belasco, delmain, solth, maybe some others in their area, maybe some others. :)

what hotel did you get?

• Options
    also @joshofalltrades look for the pax south fancy dinner thread in a little while, I'm going to try and follow in the esteemed @organichu:'s footsteps

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrYkbEbnEQ

That's the one

We never had an Atari though

I am OG PC master race

Although technically one of my first memories is playing Cosmic Avenger on ColecoVision while literally sitting on my dads knee

• Options
    @Jacobkosh‌ can yo utravel? I'm sorry, I don't know how things are going medically with you

but this PAX is the closest to you I think.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    NOLF is my shit just for the record

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    muahahaha interview went really well

the GM likes me I just have to interview with the district manager

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options

the dragon fights were boring

lies

Sneak up within about 100 yards of dragon

Chug self made archery elixir

Apply self made deadly poison

Line up shot

Smile smugly while either

A- The kill cam plays

B- The dragon springs into the sky not realizing it's already dead and the watch as it does a loop and plows into the ground

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    this could really use an HD remake but the gameplay was pretty rock solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCiXqQgsIGs

it was also long as fuck, as I recall

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    No One Lives Forever is a great game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5OMLVfk5g

This discussion has been closed.