As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bartending advice

2»

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Ha, sorry if I sounded upset (I'm not), just saying I prefer mine without ice. I had the good fortune of spending some time in Oakland, land of high-end cocktails, and no old fashioned I got there ever had ice, thus my confusion.

While I've never had an Old Fashioned in Oakland, I've had 'em in San Francisco and San Jose and they usually have either a giant cube or giant ice ball in them.

That said, http://oldfashioned101.com/ lists the ice as optional, so you could definitely do it with out. Also there are similar drinks that don't have ice, like Sazeracs.

If you ever want a stunning old fashioned, go here: http://www.bardogwood.com/

This Old Fashioned totally has ice in it.

Never did when I was there. Odd.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    We have a huge bartending area, and the biggest problem I had with the speed and multitasking is that it is 5 steps from the counter where customers are to the good booze, and only 1 of the 5 stations is set up with full well assortment. I had to take 15-20 steps to make a margarita and back, while a trio of people were waiting on their coors refills. I set up a second station on the other side of the bar and things are going relatively smoothly now. I'm even pretty well versed on the menu for only working there for 3 days by myself.

Dude, it sounds like you're rocking it. The bolded alone is huge.

Awesome.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    To expand on DW's advice: don't hesitate to offer to get somebody some water if it looks like they're pounding drinks and getting hammered. Or cut them off. If there's any doubt, and your manager is worth a shit, take the first step to cut off somebody off, or slow their intake. You're there to provide a good, and safe time. Some people obviously handle their booze differently, but slurred words, delayed reactions (beyond noise/conversation/general distraction), spilling of drinks (usually once is an accident, two or three times is a sloppy drunk). Your manager should back up your right to refuse service to anybody, and they may not like you dictating they, an adult, can't drink anymore at your establishment that night. But stay calm, be polite, don't explain your position or reasoning any more than you have to. "I'm not comfortable serving you further right now. Would you like a glass of water, sir/ma'am?".

I've done four years in a bar as a bouncer and a year bartending. I don't tend bar any more because the current place is just managers/women bartenders, and that is fine with me because they know their business and they make more tips than my ugly mug would. But having to keep eyes out on the crowd, a patio, and two sets of doors in a place that holds 300 people has taught me situational awareness is key. Don't tip your hand more than you have to, and don't back down once you cut someone off. Obviously, don't go on a power trip, but be professional. Most people are pretty cool after you say "I'm sorry, and any other time you would like to come back, I would be happy to serve you." Always invite them back another day, if they handled it well. Nobody likes to be cut off, but if they're sufficiently cognizant and you're polite, they will be too.

In four years I've seen just about everything there is to encounter in a bar, and I've settled more disputes with words than with brute force. Which when you're working for minimum wage or less + tips, is always the best outcome. The good thing is it being a restaurant, you're less likely to have people that are there to party and pound drinks, unless that's the theme of the restaurant. Our kitchen closes before the bar, so we become the pre-gaming spot for those who are going to hit the rest of the bars that night.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock