As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    So, Opal for Airbender member of Team Avatar? Or one season character?

What are the odds for "surprise twsit: she's a villain"?

What's her motivation for that?

You've seen here family, she's bound to have some rage issues.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I sincerely doubt Opal will be a villain, but I wouldn't put it past Su to end up being a villain. We know that she has a criminal past and she hangs out with Varrick of all people. She rates highly on the betrayometer.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm figuring that Opal is going to be like Suki. Features prominently in a few episodes and shows up for major moments but is very much a background character.

Hey, at least that means Bolin might get...lei'd.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    i would be sad if that were the case

seems wrong

e:to winky not to the above

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I sincerely doubt Opal will be a villain, but I wouldn't put it past Su to end up being a villain. We know that she has a criminal past and she hangs out with Varrick of all people. She rates highly on the betrayometer.

Yeah, especially with Lin's magic turnaround.

Opal might be involved just to give us point of view to really be hurt by a Su betrayal.

Delmain on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I had only considered Team Avatar to be:

Korra (water + avatar)
    Mako (fire)
    Bolin (earth)
    Asami (normal person)

So they could use an airbender peer. I don't think Tenzin, Jinora, or Kai really count; they're a separate (but allied) air nation group.

• Options
    Granted, I don't really see her becoming like a big evil villain or even deliberately screwing them over like Varrick, just possibly having some sort of moral disagreement with team avatar that leads to a direct confrontation.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Well, we still don't know Zaheer's motivations or goals, so anything's possible.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If she does turn, Suyin will most likely pull a Lando.

At this point, though, I think it'd be a pretty big character change for her to just betray the team, regardless of the reason.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Lin might also have been a little hesitant to metalbend as how she got her scar was still pretty fresh in her mind following the acupuncture memory.

I'd be ok with her sticking around, but she's just a one season character. Team avatar already has two airbenders (three if you count Kai who is the much more likely one to stick around).

I think if Kai remains a character, then neither he nor Jinora are going to be "Team Avatar". If Kai leaves somehow, I could Jinora taking a more permanent place, especially if she gets her tatoos.

Otherwise, I see Opal being a much more emotionally integrated member of the team.
    When she gets her tattoos at the end of the season, she'll be busy as de facto leader of the new Air Nomads, Tenzin's right hand, or selfdiscovering wanderer.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Lin might also have been a little hesitant to metalbend as how she got her scar was still pretty fresh in her mind following the acupuncture memory.

I'd be ok with her sticking around, but she's just a one season character. Team avatar already has two airbenders (three if you count Kai who is the much more likely one to stick around).

I think if Kai remains a character, then neither he nor Jinora are going to be "Team Avatar". If Kai leaves somehow, I could Jinora taking a more permanent place, especially if she gets her tatoos.

Otherwise, I see Opal being a much more emotionally integrated member of the team.
    When she gets her tattoos at the end of the season, she'll be busy as de facto leader of the new Air Nomads, Tenzin's right hand, or selfdiscovering wanderer.
    There's a good chance "self-discovering wanderer" is exactly what Korra is going to be after this too

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Something this season is really driving home, and I love Korra a ton, is that the series really doesn't need to be about the Avatar specifically.

I hope it's something they consider in the future. Maybe cover the time between avatars or have one who was more of an outsider to the main story.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Zaheer did scrying or some shit, btw.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Something this season is really driving home, and I love Korra a ton, is that the series really doesn't need to be about the Avatar specifically.

I hope it's something they consider in the future. Maybe cover the time between avatars or have one who was more of an outsider to the main story.

Like Lin Bei-Fong.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Zaheer did scrying or some shit, btw.
    You mean in the last episode where he knew where Korra was?
    I assumed he was doing Jinora's whole astral projection thing to track down where Korra was. Pretty sure Jinora mentioned it was a twist on an old airbender technique.
    I suppose it could be scrying though.

• Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    I always hoped for a Tales of the Avatar series. Where we get a different Avatar each week or two. But with the Avatar chain all busted, that premise doesn't work quite as well.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Like Lin Bei-Fong.

The year she took a vacation:

Curt Tales of Ba Sing Se.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    moniker wrote: »

Like Lin Bei-Fong.

The year she took a vacation:

Curt Tales of Ba Sing Se.

Episode 1:
    "C'mon, chief, I really need to go to my brother's wedding and-"

"NO. Get back to work."
    Scene 2:
    "I'm sorry I stole that bread, but we don't have any money and my sister-"

"TAKE HIM AWAY."
    Scene 3:
    "Chief, we really think you should take a vacation, becau-"

"You're fired. SOMEONE GET HIM OUT OF HERE."

EDIT: Something like that would actually be pretty entertaining for post-show bits.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I'm figuring that Opal is going to be like Suki. Features prominently in a few episodes and shows up for major moments but is very much a background character.

Hey, at least that means Bolin might get...lei'd.

Or maybe they're gonna become the best Opals.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Su turning would be thematically weird, especially considering we've already had the big sister-v-sister battle. I guess it's possible, but I'm predicting that Metalville just flat-out falls to Team Anti-Avatar without there being any kind of mole or betrayal. I think it would be a better counterpoint to the "Our city is the safest in the world!" to have Team Anti to just peel it like a potato and wipe it out, and establish a message of internationalism: No, you can't just shut yourselves up and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, because shit will still affect you.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

That one surfing Water Tribe Avatar looked like the most lei'd back of all time.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Cross posting this from the SE++ thread because you all deserve to know and rage about it.

God fucking dammit, Nickelodeon. Are you just blissfully unaware about how to actually air a television show?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What the fucking fuck

well I guess we'll get them onli-hahahahAHAHAHHAoh I made myself sad.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    -why-

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Can we call it 'executive sabotage' yet? Because this sequence of events surrounding the handling of this season are seeming less like coincidences and more like someone actively trying to bury the show.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Okay, NOW you can bitch about the execs.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    -why-

Well see when we changed the time slot around a bunch and then just put it on with no promotion or online support people did show up to watch it!

So, clearly we need to dump on it some more because that'll make it improve!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    I can't. I always knew Nick hated this show, but come on. They've invested a lot of money into it already, might as well air it efficiently!!

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    I hope the creators can go somewhere else with this.

Netflix dumping the whole season at once is vastly preferable to Nickelodeon going full Fox.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Last I checked the creators are still hip-deep in making book 4, so yeah, weird move.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Netflix, buy it

or really

-anyone else but Nick-

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Are you kidding me...Nick execs are ass-scratching baboons in a clown car

They're probably willing to cut their losses on DVD sales and digital distribution later (once they get their shit together on making it available). That way they can make more ad revenue during the time Korra would have aired with some better performing show and figure the nerds with money will just wait and use our dollars to watch the rest later

In other words, the baboons are deeply inhaling the smell of their own buttholes

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    That is so weird, how does a show that popular have ratings that low?

It's like if Adventure Time were somehow in the shitter.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Last I checked the creators are still hip-deep in making book 4, so yeah, weird move.

Which I'm baffled by given they don't seem to want it at all.

Maybe they'll just sell the fourth season to Netflix rather than air it themselves.

Also maybe my diamond encrusted pony will finally arrive.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So, are we going to have a 5 episode gap before the season finale then, where we'll have no idea wtf is going on? Or what

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I bet there were a few angry phonecalls today.

• Options
    I would just like to say "I told you so", for the record.

I mean, fuck, I'm pissed. I saw it coming, but that doesn't make it any less awful.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, are we going to have a 5 episode gap before the season finale then, where we'll have no idea wtf is going on? Or what

Ah misread it. We're not even getting a finale. It's just going to stop in the middle of the season

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    They have a Comic con panel this Friday with hopefully some answers.

• Options
    They have a Comic con panel this Friday with hopefully some answers.

Unless the answer is "Immediately following the airing of Episode 8 tonight, we're putting the whole season up on Nick.com for everyone to watch", a lot of people are going to be pissed