As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Have you watched kids TV lately? There's Korra, Adventure Time, and... that's it. 99% is absolute dreck. Not surprised that decent parents aren't letting their kids watch shit like Uncle Grandpa

wow how is that not an Adult Swim show

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Have you watched kids TV lately? There's Korra, Adventure Time, and... that's it. 99% is absolute dreck. Not surprised that decent parents aren't letting their kids watch shit like Uncle Grandpa

Regular Show and Steven Universe say hi.

But yeah, there are not a lot of shows that know how to cater to kids without making parents want to vomit.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I hear good things about Sanjay and Craig sometimes, too.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Regular Show and Steven Universe say hi.

But yeah, there are not a lot of shows that know how to cater to kids without making parents want to vomit.

My opinion back then was that cartoon shows for young children (suppose from 5 and below, but certainly also above) lack "conflict". The characters on screen do not meet any opposition. They do just do stuff without any sense of narrative or emotion.

Not to derail too much, but here is an example I saw on TV. Three girls and their animal friends have a typical running race where they use some of their animal friends as obstacles. So they run the race and one of them wins. That's it. Nothing happens or is remarked about the race. No conflict of "emotions" or any emotions of that regard. Everything is happy 24/7.

Then they go do other stuff.

Reason why I enjoy TLA, Korra, Wakfu, Anime (and even MLP) is that there is a sense of conflict (of emotions). It's the same shit everyone has to deal with every day and due to its fantastical component, we get to see how others tackle difficult/unpleasant/confusing emotions without being impacted by it ourselves.

I am of the opinion that even kids enjoy that since it drives a narrative forward which makes it easier to stay entertained and interested in the development on screen.

No narrative = no development = no interest.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Tonight's episode
    Lavabender? Badass!

I can't believe they got into the metal city, it was so safe. Was Combustion Man able to bend his mind beam the way that Combustion Woman did, because that made her way overpowered? That fight scene was still amazing though.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well that was surprising.
    Suicide is always surprising.

Not sure how a group that was barely held off by Team Avatar AND a city of metalbenders is supposed to be hunted down by just Team Avatar (minus Lin to boot!) Like, Team Evil might as put up a giant sign annoucing where they are. Though this did make it clear they do not want to simply kill Korra.

Still, nice episode and it was nice that they gave Bolin a chance to shine.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    From the game thread.
    Renzo wrote: »

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I really liked how much team work factored in to the big fight.

Also Korra's cable belt.

Also totes freaked out with the bomb.

Also Varrick pointing out it was the exact same plan he used.

This continues to be significantly better than last season.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Good episode.
    Wow, Team Korra actually won the fight. Even the nameless guards put up a good effort and were crucial in the fight. I appreciate that Team Badguy isn't infallible.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Not sure how a group that was barely held off by Team Avatar AND a city of metalbenders is supposed to be hunted down by just Team Avatar (minus Lin to boot!) Like, Team Evil might as put up a giant sign annoucing where they are. Though this did make it clear they do not want to simply kill Korra.

They had the element of surprise and Team Avatar was missing the Avatar.

I'm not saying they aren't crazy powerful but given a significant advantage Team Antavatar still came up short.

• Options
    I also appreciated getting to see a little more of Su's family, the twins had a couple of funny parts.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

I suspect that their plan is to get Korra into the Avatar state (somehow) and kill her then (again, somehow). By kidnapping her, they can keep her in a controlled environment and have the upper hand when she is in the Avatar state. I think that is what they planned to do when kidnapping her as a kid, except they would still need to train her to the point where she could enter the Avatar state and maybe brainwash her so she would willingly sacrifice herself. Now that she's older their job is a lot harder.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Delmain wrote: »
    So the Korra panel is today at 11:15 AM PDT (so 2:15 EDT)

Hopefully we'll get an explanation for why they made the change?

From a friend at the panel's paraphrasing:
    "not cancelled, ratings were much higher online than on Nick, going up next Friday through the end of August" - this was from the Nickelodeon executive, who is moderating the panel
    They're talking about book 4 as if it were a done deal, so that's promising

How could the ratings be higher for online if they've been terrible at actually putting the episodes online...???

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    My FIRST instinct was "the guy who can tell if people are telling the truth is the one that's lying." Like, it was so obvious!

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    From seeing Ming-Na Wen on AoS I'd love to see her play Lin Beifong on the big screen.

landscape_xlarge.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    My FIRST instinct was "the guy who can tell if people are telling the truth is the one that's lying." Like, it was so obvious!
    In retrospect, having only one truth sense person in town was probably a mistake on Su Lin's part.
    Who watches the watchmen, indeed.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    In retrospect, having only one truth sense person in town was probably a mistake on Su Lin's part.
    This has been a small problem I've had with the show lately, but I'm not quite sure if it's the show or my fault. But they'll write these plots that are so damn easy to see coming a mile away, that I'll second guess them because they're so obvious. Truth guy is so obviously the traitor the second they start doing interrogations, so obviously he's not because that's too obvious. But surprise! They played it totally straight!.

I'm not sure if I'm too clever for the show, or if the show just isn't clever enough. Which I feel is a bad thing to say about the show, and yet it seems to be kinda true.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    This has been a small problem I've had with the show lately, but I'm not quite sure if it's the show or my fault. But they'll write these plots that are so damn easy to see coming a mile away, that I'll second guess them because they're so obvious. Truth guy is so obviously the traitor the second they start doing interrogations, so obviously he's not because that's too obvious. But surprise! They played it totally straight!.

I'm not sure if I'm too clever for the show, or if the show just isn't clever enough. Which I feel is a bad thing to say about the show, and yet it seems to be kinda true.
    Technically it's a kids show, so more often than not they play things straight. Kids have to learn how things work before they can deconstruct or subvert fiction.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Technically it's a kids show, so more often than not they play things straight. Kids have to learn how things work before they can deconstruct or subvert fiction.

Also nothing wrong with a good story simply told. The Princess Bride for example. Or Star Wars (the original trilogy, not the prequels)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    There was only one person in Zaofu able to lie convincingly.

Aircontrol is a good blastshield. Active mediumcontrol in general, I suppose.

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkpG4amknYQ

More on the game. Same demo, lot more in-depth.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Looks pretty snappy so far.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    God damn it, they spoiled me with double episodes! This just feels too short now.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    "huh this episode is probably going to end soon, huh? then I guess no second episode af- oops episode's done."

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Bolin better turn out to be Magnet Man Bending or something equally awesome when it finally clicks for him.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yogo wrote: »
    Bolin better turn out to be Magnet Man Bending or something equally awesome when it finally clicks for him.
    Lava Bending is earth, right?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i was actually glad that
    Bolin couldn't metal bend. Everyone doesn't need to be "the best" and i think it's nice that for what he could do, he was good at it. nice message for kids.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lava Bending is earth, right?
    Certainly looks that way. That'd give Team Evil an Airbender, a Firebender (Sparky Boom Lady), a Waterbender (Tentacle arms), and an Earthbender (Lava guy). I'd love to see Bolin learn to Lavabend, which would fit great with his Earth/Fire Nation heritages. Either that or finally get him to Metalbend and be totally fucking rocking at it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I'm legit starting to wonder if Lava-Guy is the child of a firebender and an earthbender and he inherited some weird-ass abilities.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    They need metal benders who specialize in edged weaponry.

Flying knives and swords and throwing stars and whatnot.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I'm legit starting to wonder if Lava-Guy is the child of a firebender and an earthbender and he inherited some weird-ass abilities.
    That'd open up some insane possibilities regarding bending now that the world is less separated by nation. If it really is where he gets his lava powers from, I can almost guarantee that Bolin will learn it at some point.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    That'd open up some insane possibilities regarding bending now that the world is less separated by nation. If it really is where he gets his lava powers from, I can almost guarantee that Bolin will learn it at some point.
    Eh. That's like saying mudbending is a mix between a water/earth heritage. I think it's more likely a high level/secret ougi Earth Bending thing like lightning used to be. Or bloodbending.

That said, the fact that it's just one guy doing it and not the Red's showing an ability to combine their bending powers is a bit of a miss, story and lore wise.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    RT800 wrote: »

I don't see flying blades working well in a kid's show.

As to the show's ratings online vs off, the decision to keep the recent episodes offline makes sense. They want people to watch the show on TV for the ad revenue, so they make it harder for people to use the alternatives. Except apparently that didn't increase ratings for the TV broadcast at all, while pissing off the most loyal fanbase.

Honestly, in retrospect I can appreciate how the execs are handling this. They seem to be trying to do right by this show and its fans, it's just such a different niche from most of their stuff that making it work is difficult.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

As to the show's ratings online vs off, the decision to keep the recent episodes offline makes sense. They want people to watch the show on TV for the ad revenue, so they make it harder for people to use the alternatives. Except apparently that didn't increase ratings for the TV broadcast at all, while pissing off the most loyal fanbase.

Honestly, in retrospect I can appreciate how the execs are handling this. They seem to be trying to do right by this show and its fans, it's just such a different niche from most of their stuff that making it work is difficult.

I'm sure there were a couple young hotshot Execs that were blowing that trumpet from Airbender.

Just no one listened to them until now. And of course that bastard Bob made the idea look like his own.

goddammit bob

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I think they're just freakbending like all the freakbenders in Last Airbender. They've all been shown doing some regular bending, too, unlike Combustion Man.

How would it be distinct from other metalbending?

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

Tarrlok tried to cut Korra to ribbons with ice knives. Not too far off.

Gotta agree about the nick exec thing though. Having a guy come out and put their cards on the table at Comic Con made it apparent that they are just inexperienced at dealing with this kind of rollout, as opposed to actively trying to murder it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

Gotta agree about the nick exec thing though. Having a guy come out and put their cards on the table at Comic Con made it apparent that they are just inexperienced at dealing with this kind of rollout, as opposed to actively trying to murder it.

Nick actually had someone come out and make the announcement? That gives me a little more respect for them than I've had through this whole debacle, I thought it had just been the creators telling everyone what was going on.

Also here's an interview with the creators as well as Janet Varney and Bud from Married with Children.

http://youtu.be/csjNTbBtUqo

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I think they're just freakbending like all the freakbenders in Last Airbender. They've all been shown doing some regular bending, too, unlike Combustion Man.

How would it be distinct from other metalbending?
    Because it's magnets and nobody knows how those work!

Insane-Clown-Posse-fuckin-magnets-how-do-they-work.jpg

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Yeah but Korra could just punch the ice.

Mai is the closest thing they've gotten, and everything was just deflected, or pinned someone by their clothes

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Now she can punch them AND bend them into a protective armor.

(That's a good point though)

PAD ID - 328,762,218