As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

H.P. Lovecraft Anthology

Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I a big fan of horror writer H.P. Lovecraft, but I'm having trouble finding a good collection of books to buy. I'm yet to find a "complete works" book, but I've seen many anthologies most of which overlap. So my question is if any of you know of a good collection or series of Lovecraft books to buy, preferably something I could easily buy the whole line of online.

Squirrel Ninja on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lovecraft wrote too much good stuff to fit it into a single volume, there’s no complete works volume. If you can afford $27.95, buy the Arkham House hardcover editions (use Amazon’s advanced search with Arkham House as the publisher), otherwise get the cheap Del-Ray collections. Also, S.T. Joshi’s excellent annotated anthologies are killer.

supabeast on
  • Options
    Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I highly recommend the anthology published by The Library of America, H. P. Lovecraft: Tales.
    In addition to 800 pages worth of Lovecraft's stories, it also has annotations and a timeline of his life.

Also, several of Lovecraft's works are in the public domain and are available on the internet.

Mr. Gruntor on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I highly recommend the anthology published by The Library of America, H. P. Lovecraft: Tales.
    In addition to 800 pages worth of Lovecraft's stories, it also has annotations and a timeline of his life.

Also, several of Lovecraft's works are in the public domain and are available on the internet.

By several, do you mean almost all? Because I know I've run across massive collections of them several times, and I can't imagine why any of them wouldn't be public domain by now.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keep in mind that most(if not all) of Lovecraft's works are public domain. If you don't mind reading his stories from a computer or waste the paper printing them out it might be best to just download his works.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll agree with Mr Gruntor. I have the same compilation and it's really good. I'm not sure that it's 100% complete, but I can't ever remember hearing of anything that wasn't in there. It's also about as thick as a 200 pager and is beautifully bound.

Edit: Public domain also means that books are quite cheap too.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where could I find his stuff online if it's public domain?

I've been meaning to read his works for a while now, and this would provide an easy (and cheap) way to do so.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

By several, do you mean almost all? Because I know I've run across massive collections of them several times, and I can't imagine why any of them wouldn't be public domain by now.

I say "several" because only some of his works (i.e., pre-1923) are clearly in the public domain; however, some of Lovecraft's work published in "Weird Tales" may still be covered by copyright.
    The aforementioned Wikisource page has further details at the bottom.

Mr. Gruntor on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't mean to derail, but I've been interested in getting into Lovecraft's stuff for a while now. I've been playing Arkham Horror w/ my friends, which is mainly what interested me in the Lovecraft mythology. Where, specifically among the ones in public domain, should I start?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't mean to derail, but I've been interested in getting into Lovecraft's stuff for a while now. I've been playing Arkham Horror w/ my friends, which is mainly what interested me in the Lovecraft mythology. Where, specifically among the ones in public domain, should I start?

You'll get different answers from different people, but personally, I think "At the Mountains of Madness" is his best work, and the one that holds up best for those of us reading his work now, in a more modern age. A lot of his stuff, for me at least, is cool, but not particularly scary, because I just can't relate to the "mystery" of it. But, since AtMoM takes place in Antarctica, a place that's still pretty much empty and forboding, and that I've certainly never been, it works very well as a settting for cosmic horror.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good suggestions from everybody, thanks a lot.

Squirrel Ninja on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Good suggestions from everybody, thanks a lot.

Damnit, I was going to sig what you have sigged and now I cannot because you have.

terrible

Bob The Monkey on