As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Traveling abroad with a laptop.

JensenJensen Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
I made a thread about this awhile ago, and it vanished, and I lost the slip of paper that i wrote down the info that was given to me. I'm going to Cambridge, England this summer and I'm wondering what I'll need to buy so that my laptop can be plugged into the outlets there. I'm in the U.S. - thanks again!

signaturedisgaea.png
Jensen on

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What type of laptop is it?

tardcore on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Flux-Capacitor.jpg

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, like two years ago I went to London and Edinburgh, I had an iBook with me with it's standard charger. I bought one of the packs at like Target for $25 that has all the adapters for every power outlet, and it worked just fine. It gets real hot though, and the package warns to only leave it plugged in as long as it needs to be.

All my stuff worked with the exception of the DS phat plug for some reason, I ended up just buying one there for like 5 pounds cause I was there for two weeks.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When using electronics abroad there are two things to keep in mind: the plug shape, and the voltage. For the plug, there are many different cheap adapters available, so just get one that includes the right plug. For the voltage, look on the power brick/bottom of laptop for the power consumption info. Most modern electronics can handle both 110 (US) and 240(UK) voltages and it will say so on the sticker, but check it to make sure.

One time when I traveled to New Zealand I brought a number of different gizmos with me, like my laptop, camera, gameboy, and a portable DVD player. Everything could use the 240 voltage fine, EXCEPT for the DVD player's AC adapter. The player itself could handle it, but for some reason the adapter itself was US only. Without realizing this I plugged it in and got a lovely light show complete with smoke. Fortunately it took the brunt of the shock and the player was ok.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Usually all you'll need extra is the part of the cable that goes from the transformer to the outlet, ie, one of these guys (I've called them kettle cords). You can probably get one with the correct pin configuration on the cheap as soon as you arrive wherever you're going. The figure-8 shaped one and the more triangular looking one at least are sold everywhere.

If you want to be extra careful check the transformer to make sure it takes 110-240 volts. If so then you're laughing - you won't have any problems at all.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You're moving the bad way... from 110V to 240V, which means that the worst that can happen for UK going to the US is stuff doesn't work. For you, it could start a fire.

It really depends on the laptop you have. I know certainly that Apple laptops are designed to go internationally, as are Dells. If you have an El Crappo one that has no external power brick, you need to look at the electronic specs on the plug/battery/underside of your laptop to see if it can handle 240V.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since my fiancee and I may be going to China to teach for a year, I've been looking at power adaptors, but none of them seem to give you a ground socket. Both power blade sockets are there, but no ground, which I believe all computers need. Does anyone know of a power adaptor that has a ground socket that they would recommend?

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's a Dell Inspiron 8500

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jacoby wrote: »
    Since my fiancee and I may be going to China to teach for a year, I've been looking at power adaptors, but none of them seem to give you a ground socket. Both power blade sockets are there, but no ground, which I believe all computers need. Does anyone know of a power adaptor that has a ground socket that they would recommend?

If you're talking about laptops, you don't need a ground since they're usually two-prong (generally the case with AC->DC transformers). Ye olde desktop power guzzlers with built-in power supplies are a bit trickier, probably requiring a new power cable and switching the voltage selector on the PSU manually. In this case though, I don't know why you'd be lugging around a desktop across the Pacific anyway.

I bought a set of adapters and a transformer when I want to China last year. As it turns out, I didn't need them. At least for the places I stayed at, the outlets actually had US-style two-pronged plugs built-in, and my electronics worked dandy. At the hotels I stayed at, they even had special 110v outlets in the bathroom for hair dryers and shavers and such. YMMV, though.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm gonna need a new power brick for my (somewhat antiquated) Dell Latitude C610 laptop when I go back over to England next time. The existing one unfortunately doesn't handle 110v-240v, and my mum actually managed to lose the £50 ($100) transformer I had over there. The thing was basically a solid metal brick with a 110v US-style socket and a 240v UK power cord, and put out enough juice (wattage-wise) to comfortably power an NTSC Xbox with plenty to spare, but it wasn't one of those 1600w hairdryer-type ones that blows up other, more sensitive electronics. It was awesome. Got it from Maplins.

Jazz on
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Jacoby wrote: »

If you're talking about laptops, you don't need a ground since they're usually two-prong (generally the case with AC->DC transformers). Ye olde desktop power guzzlers with built-in power supplies are a bit trickier, probably requiring a new power cable and switching the voltage selector on the PSU manually. In this case though, I don't know why you'd be lugging around a desktop across the Pacific anyway.

I bought a set of adapters and a transformer when I want to China last year. As it turns out, I didn't need them. At least for the places I stayed at, the outlets actually had US-style two-pronged plugs built-in, and my electronics worked dandy. At the hotels I stayed at, they even had special 110v outlets in the bathroom for hair dryers and shavers and such. YMMV, though.

It is a laptop, and it actually does have the full 3 prongs. I don't know if the school's teacher housing would have the same thing as the places you stayed at, but since it's full of Canadians, it could be promising.

In any case, they would be giving/loaning (not sure which) us a Mac laptop, so it's not like I'd be without computer. It's just that you get attached to all the stuff you have on your laptop, you know?

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My laptop's brick is three-pronged as well.

Jazz on