As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some new email scam?

RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm receiving emails saying that I'm apparently renting a car in the Canary Islands. The furthest I've been in the last weekend is Nottingham. I've dropped them an Email saying that it appears that someone has given them an email address that they do not own, and that I'm not the person that they're talking about, and they've dropped me a message back saying that they will look into it.

But.. I'm still rather suspicious. Has anyone ever heard of anything in the form of scams before?

Rohaq on

• Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If anything, they're probably just fishing for valid e-mails, so replying is probably the worst thing to do.

That said, there is like a 0.000001% chance that someone stole your identity and rented a car in the Canary Islands.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

EDIT: Sorry, re-reading your post, I see that you said you received more than one e-mail. Do they seem well-written and real? Many spelling errors? Does it name a company that you are supposedly renting a car from?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Seems like an odd way to fish for valid details.

There was a birth date on the rental details, which was totally wrong. I don't think it's ID theft.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's also entirely possible that they just misspelled some other person's e-mail address. Does the other person have a name that would suggest a similar e-mail address to yours?

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well yes, he appears to have the same name as me.

Oh, it seems i was CC'd into a reply too, can anyone translate?
    The Email wrote:
    D.Rafael, le paso este correo por si quiere echarle un vistazo , parece que alguien le cogió los datos a este señor.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The crappy translator from google says: D.Rafael, him step this mail by if wants to throw him a look, seems that someone caught the data to this mister. .

I take that to mean that someone gave this email address and his name is D.Rafael(unless thats you) In case you want to throw him a look. Something about data involving him.. But yeah thats the crappy translator I found so I wouldnt trust it.

Ziac45 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My estimation is:
    D.Rafael, him step this mail by if wants to throw him a look, seems that someone caught the data to this mister. .
    =
    D.Rafael, I've attached you (him?) in case you want to look, it seems that someone accidentally sent this information to this guy.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So looks like it's probably just a mistake then?

Well, that'd be nice.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rohaq wrote: »

I'd say so. Though I have no clue if that's what the guy actually said. My grasp of Spanish (Portuguese? I can't even tell) is virtually non-existent.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I'd say so. Though I have no clue if that's what the guy actually said. My grasp of Spanish (Portuguese? I can't even tell) is virtually non-existent.
    If it's the Canary Islands, it's likely Spanish.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2007
    heh, that reminds me of the email I got in early November:
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=49KW&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=xbox&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Kev

Don't know if this link will work but, is this the thing you want for
    xmas ?

Spoke to Duncan and put him off

Dad

I wrote back:
    I think you've got the wrong gmail address.

If you'd like to send me an XBOX for Christmas, though, I won't complain... :-)

Ramius on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well yes, he appears to have the same name as me.

Oh, it seems i was CC'd into a reply too, can anyone translate?
    The Email wrote:
    D.Rafael, le paso este correo por si quiere echarle un vistazo , parece que alguien le cogió los datos a este señor.

It might be a bit late, but allow me:

"D. Rafael, I just sent you this email if you want to take a look at it, it looks like someone got the "info" (Or personal data) of this "Sir"." (Man, person).

If you receive more spanish written emails, I'll gladly translate them for you.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Looks like it was probably a genuine mistake then, or perhaps someone's trying to steal a car. Either way, it doesn't look like I have any need to be concerned :)

Rohaq on
This discussion has been closed.