Options

Dragon Age Thread - Where is your maker now?

• Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    So, I finally got caught up on all of the gameplay Twitch streams last night, and I'm so incredibly excited for this game now. I probably haven't been this hyped for a game in at least a decade.

Thankfully, we're now one month away from release in North America. Color me stoked.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    The problem with Hawke being a companion is that there is no default Hawke. Hawke can be male or female, a warrior (two-handed or sword & shield), a rogue (daggers or bow) or a mage, and they'd have to have unique skill trees and armor sets for all those combinations

It's not impossible, but still. I think Morrigan is more likely.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I assume they'll just be temporary tag alongs like Leliana is in one of the demos.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    The problem with Hawke being a companion is that there is no default Hawke. Hawke can be male or female, a warrior (two-handed or sword & shield), a rogue (daggers or bow) or a mage, and they'd have to have unique skill trees and armor sets for all those combinations

i believe from the keep videos default hawke is a female mage.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Wasn't Hawke a dude mage in all the promo vids? So there's default Hawke.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    In the marketing, yes. But the Hawke we saw in a trailer was a LadyHawke.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Bassguy wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    I tried out the Keep as well today and I really enjoy how comprehensive it is as a save-generator. It also reminds me of how some of my buddies hate Dragon Age II involves "fucking nothing" and how kinda sorta wrong that is

Even more wrong if you've seen any of the few DA:I spoilers known so far. All of Thedas' problems in DA:I are probably going to be the Chantry's fault.
    FTFY :P

The biggest spoiled thing so far is definitely all Hawke's fault. But really, all of Thedas' woes kind of start with Tevinter. And maybe the ancient elves. DA:I lore seems to be moving in the direction ancient elves were huge assholes, too.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Wasn't Hawke a dude mage in all the promo vids? So there's default Hawke.
    Sprout wrote: »
    In the marketing, yes. But the Hawke we saw in a trailer was a LadyHawke.

Uh, yeah, cuz sarcastic Lady Hawke was the best Hawke? Duh.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I don't like former PCs being involved in sequels unless they're going to import or in some way re-use the appearance of the main character that you personally used.

Otherwise it just destroys immersion and seems largely pointless.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The people and events they're connected to showing up in the future/sequel to those characters/events is immersion breaking? Different strokes, I guess.

• Options

Yeah, but that isn't my Hawke. If Hawke is in the game as a party member, it'll be the Hawke as you imported him / her from DA 2.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I don't like former PCs being involved in sequels unless they're going to import or in some way re-use the appearance of the main character that you personally used.

I disagree. Building up a character as SUPER IMPORTANT like the Warden and Hawke, and then largely ignoring them in future products would feel weird to me.

You obviously have to be careful not to let a pro-Mage Hawke support the Templars, but I have faith that BioWare can handle that.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    The people and events they're connected to showing up in the future/sequel to those characters/events is immersion breaking? Different strokes, I guess.

I dunno, I played a bit of borderlands 2 recently and having the main guys/gals from BL1 be core to the story is weird.

Different kind of game though. As long as my hawke looks pretty close to my hawke in DA2, and they have his default personality I'm happy

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

Yeah, but that isn't my Hawke. If Hawke is in the game as a party member, it'll be the Hawke as you imported him / her from DA 2.

well you best use the keep then.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'm actually excited to see Hawke again even if it is in a limited capacity.

Always though it was lame when your previous heroes would go on journeys never to be seen again.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I disagree. Building up a character as SUPER IMPORTANT like the Warden and Hawke, and then largely ignoring them in future products would feel weird to me.

You obviously have to be careful not to let a pro-Mage Hawke support the Templars, but I have faith that BioWare can handle that.

I don't necessarily mind what their choices have been made, but if my Hawke was a female with blonde hair and the classic hawke is a male one with black hair, I'm going to feel very disjointed. In that scenario, I'd rather that Hawke didn't feature in the story at all.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I dunno, I played a bit of borderlands 2 recently and having the main guys/gals from BL1 be core to the story is weird.

Different kind of game though. As long as my hawke looks pretty close to my hawke in DA2, and they have his default personality I'm happy

Well that's also different because they had established skills and personalities.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm actually excited to see Hawke again even if it is in a limited capacity.

Always though it was lame when your previous heroes would go on journeys never to be seen again.

I feel like mostly that was because they weren't confident of reliably importing appearances. Until Dragon Age and Mass Effect, importing saves between games was fairly rare.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    But I get what you're saying.

I was worried at first that my Hawke's appearance wouldn't transfer over too.

But that's been cleared up and it seems like you even get to set that base personality so I'm all for it.

Just hoping the new engine doesn't have them come out too weird.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
  • Options
    Really enjoying these weekly streams.

Help me keep my hype in check.

• Options
    Really enjoying these weekly streams.

Help me keep my hype in check.

Really? They're only increasing my hype.

• Options
    Its weird I guess. But having more information to maul over actually makes me think less about how excited I am for something.

• Options
    I see. It's the opposite for me - learning more about the game only makes me more excited because what I am learning is that this is shaping up to be a pretty excellent game.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I see. It's the opposite for me - learning more about the game only makes me more excited because what I am learning is that this is shaping up to be a pretty excellent game.

This is why i'm not watching the streams or reading any articles or previews or anything. I know it would just make the next month even worse for me.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Its weird I guess. But having more information to maul over actually makes me think less about how excited I am for something.

Mull. Mull over.

Unless you're being very aggressive in containing your enthusiasm.

• Options
    I knew I picked the wrong word. Just had no clue what the correct one was.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Here's a rogue outfit. Armor and clothing design continues to look pretty great. I wonder how many different sets there will be, given that it sounds like recrafting the same scheme with different materials changes colors. Also possibly the first time I've ever seen lockpicks on a character model in a videogame.

B0F8vpkCIAI92x7.jpg:large

Dammit, I really don't know which class to play first. They all look so cool!

• Options
    I just love that fact that you can upgrade any outfit to be as effective as any other. And I would love if more games did that.

Screw realism I'm only worried about fashion!

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    I just love that fact that you can upgrade any outfit to be as effective as any other. And I would love if more games did that.

Screw realism I'm only worried about fashion!

I agree so much! I absolutely loved Resonance of Fate because of this. I could play fun dress up and no matter what they were wearing, they were still bad-ass!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    It seems like they did a much better job conceptualizing DA3. I think we are in for a treat. It is going to be a leap forward for Bioware.

They are probably in the sweet spot as far as resources and labor goes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    In the latest trailer, the ESRB info for Inquisition was at the front.

ytwlnn4jkqh6.png

Compare and contrast to the ESRB rating info from previous DA titles:

Dragon Age: Origins ERSB info:
    Platform: Macintosh, Windows PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Rating Category: M

Content Descriptors: Blood, Intense Violence, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content

Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game (RPG) in which players control a group of mythical warriors through missions and battles in the ravaged lands of Ferelden. The combat system in the game is similar to other third-person role-playing games where the user does not usually have direct control over combat moves. Instead, players select a target (e.g., soldier, stone golem, dragon, bear, etc.) and an action (e.g., 'attack,' 'kill,' and magic spells), then watch as the game executes the move. Players use swords, axes, knives, and magic to attack enemies that react to damage by emitting splashes of red blood; pools of blood are occasionally depicted near dead bodies as well. The most intense instances of violence occur when players have the option to kill non-combatant civilians: A prisoner can be stabbed to death in order to steal a key; a merchant who overcharges refugees can be slashed in the throat; and a boy possessed by an evil demon can be killed off-screen. During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select 'Surprise me,' they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal; sexual activity is never depicted during these brothel encounters. Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male and female or same sex couples) can be depicted kissing, embracing, and caressing one another as the screen fades to black. Though the game never features human nudity, one female demon character is briefly depicted with bare breasts. Some profanity (e.g., 'sh*t,' 'b*tch,' and 'a*s') can be heard in the dialogue.

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening ERSB info:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content

Dragon Age II ERSB info:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Language, Sexual Content, Violence

Rating Summary:
    This is an action-adventure role-playing game in which players assume the role of a warrior who completes quests in a mythical land. Players use swords, bows and arrows, and magical spells (e.g., fireballs, energy beams) to defeat human-like enemies and fantasy creatures (e.g., giant spiders, demons, ogres, golems). Attacks are often accompanied by slashing sounds, large explosions, and cries of pain. Blood splatter effects occur when enemies are hit, and damage sometimes results in dismemberment or decapitation—blood stains and body parts occasionally appear in the environment. In one cutscene, a man's severed head is held up then tossed to the ground. During the course of the game, characters sometimes engage in sexual dialogue (e.g., 'Why is it always about sex with you?' and 'Sailing is like sex. Do it wrong, and it'll make you sick.'). Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male-female or same-sex) are shown kissing and embracing one another in a bedroom as the screen fades to black. In one cutscene, a woman kneels in front of a male character and appears to perform fellatio—there is no depiction of the sex act; the camera pans out to the rest of the room. The words 'a*s,' 'bastard,' and 'sh*t' appear in dialogue.

It's "Nudity" instead of "Partial Nudity" now, but it's still "Sexual Content" — not "Strong Sexual Content" like The Witcher 2. Interesting. I'm not really dying for polygonal titillation, but I would prefer if we didn't have to suffer through more bizarre clothed "sex" scenes.

Here are the definitions of the terminology the ESRB uses, by the way: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

It's a little vague, but eh.

Bassguy on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    That is some fantastic female rogue armor. I wish more companies designed armors like that, and less metal/leather bikinis.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    Yeah. Someone brought this up in a analysis video I watched.

Also worth noting is that even Mass Effect with Liara butt only got a "partial nudity".

If anything at least we'll avoid underwear in the shower scenes.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    In the latest trailer, the ESRB info for Inquisition was at the front.

ytwlnn4jkqh6.png

Compare and contrast to the ESRB rating info from previous DA titles:

Dragon Age: Origins ERSB info:

Content Descriptors: Blood, Intense Violence, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content

Rating Summary: This is a role-playing game (RPG) in which players control a group of mythical warriors through missions and battles in the ravaged lands of Ferelden. The combat system in the game is similar to other third-person role-playing games where the user does not usually have direct control over combat moves. Instead, players select a target (e.g., soldier, stone golem, dragon, bear, etc.) and an action (e.g., 'attack,' 'kill,' and magic spells), then watch as the game executes the move. Players use swords, axes, knives, and magic to attack enemies that react to damage by emitting splashes of red blood; pools of blood are occasionally depicted near dead bodies as well. The most intense instances of violence occur when players have the option to kill non-combatant civilians: A prisoner can be stabbed to death in order to steal a key; a merchant who overcharges refugees can be slashed in the throat; and a boy possessed by an evil demon can be killed off-screen. During the course of the game, players are able to visit a brothel where a hostess asks what they are interested in. If players select 'Surprise me,' they can sometimes wind up face-to-face with a woman, a man, a transsexual, or an animal; sexual activity is never depicted during these brothel encounters. Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male and female or same sex couples) can be depicted kissing, embracing, and caressing one another as the screen fades to black. Though the game never features human nudity, one female demon character is briefly depicted with bare breasts. Some profanity (e.g., 'sh*t,' 'b*tch,' and 'a*s') can be heard in the dialogue.

Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening ERSB info:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Content

Dragon Age II ERSB info:

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Language, Sexual Content, Violence

Rating Summary:
    This is an action-adventure role-playing game in which players assume the role of a warrior who completes quests in a mythical land. Players use swords, bows and arrows, and magical spells (e.g., fireballs, energy beams) to defeat human-like enemies and fantasy creatures (e.g., giant spiders, demons, ogres, golems). Attacks are often accompanied by slashing sounds, large explosions, and cries of pain. Blood splatter effects occur when enemies are hit, and damage sometimes results in dismemberment or decapitation—blood stains and body parts occasionally appear in the environment. In one cutscene, a man's severed head is held up then tossed to the ground. During the course of the game, characters sometimes engage in sexual dialogue (e.g., 'Why is it always about sex with you?' and 'Sailing is like sex. Do it wrong, and it'll make you sick.'). Players can also initiate brief cutscene sequences in which couples (male-female or same-sex) are shown kissing and embracing one another in a bedroom as the screen fades to black. In one cutscene, a woman kneels in front of a male character and appears to perform fellatio—there is no depiction of the sex act; the camera pans out to the rest of the room. The words 'a*s,' 'bastard,' and 'sh*t' appear in dialogue.

It's "Nudity" instead of "Partial Nudity" now, but it's still "Sexual Content" — not "Strong Sexual Content" like The Witcher 2. Interesting. I'm not really dying for polygonal titillation, but I would prefer if we didn't have to suffer through more bizarre clothed "sex" scenes.

Here are the definitions of the terminology the ESRB uses, by the way: https://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

It's a little vague, but eh.

Hot sex w/ my husbando confirmed.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    I would love if Bioware made it so butts of all genders were equally represented.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I would love if Bioware made it so butts of all genders were equally represented.

I demand Dragon Age go Full Spartacus!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Watch it just have those warnings because of the desire demons

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Broodmother romance option confirmed.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Silly question: is there a mod that adds more keyboard shortcuts to Dragon Age: Origins? The current shortcuts are limited to character/camera selection and movement, bringing up panes for map/inventory/etc, and... hot bar commands?

It would be super nice if I could interact with the environment, navigate some dialog boxes, and target enemies without reaching for the mouse.

This discussion has been closed.