As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

1363738394042»

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Uh.

UH.

https://home.privateerpress.com/2021/06/04/this-is-not-a-keynote/

(read it in order, don't skip ahead.)

OH SHIT!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Auralynx
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    That's awesome, super looking forward to it.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, PP is doing their spring cleaning sale again, if anyone is interested.
    https://store.privateerpress.com/spring-cleaning-mystery-box-2021/

$50 bucks for ~$200 worth of random stuff.
    The very idea is like crack to me. I don't need it. I don't neeeed it.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    So, PP is doing their spring cleaning sale again, if anyone is interested.
    https://store.privateerpress.com/spring-cleaning-mystery-box-2021/

$50 bucks for ~$200 worth of random stuff.
    The very idea is like crack to me. I don't need it. I don't neeeed it.

I've not played in years, hell a decade actually, and ice never been more glad because I'd buy eight of those things based on each one being one faction like they describe.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    I think this is the first year that I've not participated. Partially because I'm trying very hard to stick with one faction. And partially because I keep buying new Warcaster stuff.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think I’m in the wrong groups for it, but I almost never hear about Warcaster. I know it exists and have rough ideas on the 4 factions, but that’s about it.

It's kinda hard to gauge it's popularity. The kickstarters have done well but I don't see a lot of discussion. I think in part that's because the game and list-building is so flexible that it's hard to discuss static tactics.

I bought two armies when it first came out and played it with my game group, resulting in 4 or 5 of them buying in. I still haven't gotten a ton of playtime in (cause Rona) but I've really enjoyed it.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    One of the local-ish stores around here announced they’re doing a Warcaster event in a couple weeks. I actually need to sit down and grind out getting the rest of my ISA stuff ready. And maybe give the rules a once-over again.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    novaspike wrote: »
    It's kinda hard to gauge it's popularity. The kickstarters have done well but I don't see a lot of discussion. I think in part that's because the game and list-building is so flexible that it's hard to discuss static tactics.

I bought two armies when it first came out and played it with my game group, resulting in 4 or 5 of them buying in. I still haven't gotten a ton of playtime in (cause Rona) but I've really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I was hoping to at least see discussions on the differences between factions (I’m presuming there are thematic differences in spells and abilities), but outside of the Kickstarter threads on various forums which died off as people got stuff, there just hasn’t been anything.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I keep wanting to call my closest game store to see if they do WarmaHordes stuff, but also they opened just before Rona I think, and they've been closed to indoor stuff while we're in lockdown.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Nobody wrote: »

Yeah, I was hoping to at least see discussions on the differences between factions (I’m presuming there are thematic differences in spells and abilities), but outside of the Kickstarter threads on various forums which died off as people got stuff, there just hasn’t been anything.

So far the OG three factions (marcher worlds, aternius continuum, and iron star alliance) all play somewhat similar, but with different strengths. Empyreans play really different in general. As the 2nd wave of releases came out, each of the factions got better tools to lean into what they do, which has helped give them flavor (and having cyphers that are faction restricted).

novaspike wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

So far the OG three factions (marcher worlds, aternius continuum, and iron star alliance) all play somewhat similar, but with different strengths. Empyreans play really different in general. As the 2nd wave of releases came out, each of the factions got better tools to lean into what they do, which has helped give them flavor (and having cyphers that are faction restricted).

From what I’m reading….

ISA is tanky and slow, but has volume of fire (thinking Cygnar and Khador flavor)
    Marcher is quick, sneaky, and long ranged but can’t take a direct hit (kinda thinking Ret or Oroboros?)
    AC is tricky, fast, and hits hard
    Not entirely sure what Empyreans do differently from what I’ve been able to gather

Is that far off?

So this is based off my experiences so YMMV:

ISA does generally have better armor; having composite on most troops (extra arm vs explosion weapon types), shield options on their jacks, but that does mean they pay the 'shield tax' (slightly lower arm stats on jacks to make up for the fact they can take double shields). They've also do mixed arms really well, good mixes for ranged and melee damage. My buddy picked up ISA so I'm basing it on that.

AC has super weak squads. But they make up for it by having really strong furies (attack spells) and fury related abilities. Also a really strong heavy jack and solid combat solos. They've got some interesting auras they can put out, but arc (focus) is always tight. As a faction they tend to have stats favoring melee (lots of melee weapons, more MAT than RAT).

MW is tricky to pin down, lots of movement shenanigans. They also generally favor ranged weapons and stats (RAT over MAT). That makes them sound boring, but they are better/cooler then I can describe.

Empyreans differ from the other factions because they can manipulate arc to a greater degree than anyone else. Pretty much all models in the game have an ability that gets turned on when you put arc on them, and an ability that goes off when you spend arc off a unit during it's turn (charging and spiking, respectively). But you can only usually put arc on the field once per turn. Emps have more ability to move arc on and off the table more than anyone else, usually through the rules on their units versus using cyphers (spell deck). Plus it seems like all their weapons (ranged or melee) can hit real damn hard (or have variable modes for flex).

In general, no faction is 'slow'. The ability to throw out void gates (and all games being scenario based) means that things end up deployed all over the place, and the battlelines can shift pretty crazily.

Stuff also dies a lot, and somewhat easily. There's some tankier units, but in general if you focus on something, it'll die. There are more dice spikes than warmachine, but that's mainly due to it using the Riot Quest/MonPoc dice system (and all attack rolls essentially being 'contested' rolls). But since everything but heroes can be resummoned, it's not uncommon to see thing things die and come back your next turn.

Nobody
    edited July 2021
    Thanks!

By slower, I meant that they generally didn't have as many movement shenanigans (other writeups suggested that AC and MW had more movement abilities).

EDIT: In any event, I was undecided between ISA and MW, and it's sounding like if I do pick it up that the ISA will probably be what I go with.

Nobody on
    I'd say that MW is the only faction with built in movement tricks. AC really doesn't have anything special in that regard (minus a spike phase ability of dubious value).

One of the new toys my buddy is playing with in ISA is the 'gatecrasher' weapon on his jack (heavy i think). It lets him deploy a void gate during the jacks activation (normally jacks aren't an eligible target to deploy gates AND instead of in the normal play sequence) so he can actually put a gate down then summon something later in the same turn. Pretty cool overall.

Nobody