As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Surface Pro 3 Docking Station Alternatives

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Imagine my delight to learn that my request to have my work laptop replacement come in the form of an SP3 instead of the old Dell!

Imagine my dismay when informed by the IT department that I couldn't requisition a docking station as well, because they are substantially more expensive than the laptop docking stations we have a closet full of.

So... if I want to pursue this SP3, which I do thanks to the fact that I'm carrying my laptop around 30-50% of the day, I'll probably have to pay for a docking station myself. Are there any alternatives to the $200 docking station direct from Microsoft? Looking for either cheaper OR more versatile in use (so that when I end up owning it but not the surface itself, I have possible other uses.)

Right now I'm using a Dell laptop with a Dell docking station that gives me a wired mouse, keyboard and two monitor output when docked.

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The only real alternative is to have tons of wires for a USB hub and all that stuff. Plus you lose out on the monitor capabilities it looks like?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There are USB 3.0 universal docking stations around. Try Amazon.