Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Surface Pro 3 Docking Station Alternatives

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Imagine my delight to learn that my request to have my work laptop replacement come in the form of an SP3 instead of the old Dell!

Imagine my dismay when informed by the IT department that I couldn't requisition a docking station as well, because they are substantially more expensive than the laptop docking stations we have a closet full of.

So... if I want to pursue this SP3, which I do thanks to the fact that I'm carrying my laptop around 30-50% of the day, I'll probably have to pay for a docking station myself. Are there any alternatives to the $200 docking station direct from Microsoft? Looking for either cheaper OR more versatile in use (so that when I end up owning it but not the surface itself, I have possible other uses.)

Right now I'm using a Dell laptop with a Dell docking station that gives me a wired mouse, keyboard and two monitor output when docked.

What is this I don't even.
Darkewolfe on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The only real alternative is to have tons of wires for a USB hub and all that stuff. Plus you lose out on the monitor capabilities it looks like?

Ladies.
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    There are USB 3.0 universal docking stations around. Try Amazon.

jjae2123