As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] This thread is wrapped, in some kind of rope or wire. Find the new one!

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Daaaaaaaaaaaang
    That shot of Ultron crushing an Iron Man suit is really unsettling for some reason D:

I was more shocked by
    Cap's broken shield

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    marvel responded to the leak.

B0lvAkbCEAQQBgG.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ok. For comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOrNdBpGMv8

That was the first Avenger's trailer. By my count, the first Avenger's trailer had two jokes. Ultron trailer has no jokes. But maybe Age of Ultron won't be as serious as the trailer suggests...like how The Avengers wasn't as serious as its first trailer suggests.

Maybe? Hopefully?

There is a distinct lack of quips in that trailer. It is a quip-free zone.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    there are going to be so many quips

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If that was a Transformers trailer it would be ripped to shreds.
    Meh trailers for films that have, historically, been below average to outright terrible get looked at more harshly than meh trailers for historically excellent films.

• Options
    there are going to be so many quips

There had damn well better be. Perhaps in-movie quips are the inverse of the number of trailer quips? So Ultron will have more quips, since its trailer has less quips?

I like quips.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    _J_ wrote: »
    Ok. For comparison

That was the first Avenger's trailer. By my count, the first Avenger's trailer had two jokes. Ultron trailer has no jokes. But maybe Age of Ultron won't be as serious as the trailer suggests...like how The Avengers wasn't as serious as its first trailer suggests.

Maybe? Hopefully?

the comic con trailer was just like this leaked one except it had a big thing at the start which was all jokes and quips and fun stuff before it got serious as hell.
    it was a party scene, everyone drinking and having fun before ultron staggers into the room and shit gets real.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    If that was a Transformers trailer it would have been absolute shit, and contained Shia LaBoof.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Oh man, I forgot the first Avengers trailer had NIN. It is so not a NIN-trailer movie.

• Options
    Ok. For comparison

Maybe? Hopefully?

the comic con trailer was just like this leaked one except it had a big thing at the start which was all jokes and quips and fun stuff before it got serious as hell.

Ok. Good. I never saw the comic con trailer.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Wash wrote: »
    Daaaaaaaaaaaang
    That shot of Ultron crushing an Iron Man suit is really unsettling for some reason D:

I was more shocked by
    Cap's broken shield

rumour is
    that whole bit is a flash forward to thanos asteroid throne home in a future avengers/marvel movie...

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It also doesn't hurt that this movie will not financially be allowed to be bad, so get hype.

I'm kind of worried that at this point Marvel can just make bad movies and they'll just be like Transformers in terms of receipts, so why even try and tell a good story. All that effort is so 2010.

2010 was Iron Man 2, which arguably had the most haphazard plot in any MCU film, so I'm not sure you should hold that year in high regard ;)
    If that was a Transformers trailer it would have been absolute shit, and contained Shia LaBoof.

The Beef wasn't in the most recent film.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm kinda glad this got leaked, because Marvel teasing an announcement after SHIELD last night that amounted to "....tune in next week for a trailer" was kind of of JV thing to do.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    comic book/possible movie spoiler question i guess
    as a 'haven't read very many comics' if thor's hammer doesn't break caps shield, what would be able to?

Pailryder on
  • Options
    Pailryder wrote: »
    as a 'haven't read very many comics' if thor's hammer doesn't break caps shield, what would be able to?
    undead scottsman's avatar.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Not really a spoiler. Cap's shield is very strong because it's made out of a material that can "absorb vibration," thus negating most impacts. It can still be destroyed by a massive amount of force. Early reports about the movie also included mention of a subplot where Ultron tries to get himself a new body made out of the same metal as Cap's shield, which would probably help.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Try not to think too hard about it though, since he can bounce it off stuff.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

The energy it absorbs gets radiated out of the edges, duh.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    MuddBudd wrote: »

That's because the edges of the shield are Elastanium. Duh.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    undead scottsman's avatar.
    Other things that have wrecked it include a ..disease? That was wiping out the world's supply of vibranium, and the Serpent (Odin's brother).

Loki, using an usurped odinforce destroyed it in the avengers: EMH toon.
    EDIT: I love Wikipedia sometimes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Looks like the went ahead and released the thing officially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmeOjFno6Do

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    OK, so, trailer analysis:
    1:02 - Ultron leading Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Implying Ultron has a link to Hydra?
    1:46 - the Quicksilver effect looks NICE

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So going by Ultron's appearance in that trailer, he's not made by design at all - it looks like it's pieced itself together out of junk parts. The Iron Man it crushes has a weird colour scheme too - guessing it's a drone for Stark's privatized world peace, and one of em becomes sentient and turns into Ultron?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Honestly I'm not sure why people are saying
    The quicksilver effects looked good or anything; it's just streaky blur lines seen in like less than 2 seconds of footage; I'm not sure that's enough to make any kind of judgement yet.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So going by Ultron's appearance in that trailer, he's not made by design at all - it looks like it's pieced itself together out of junk parts. The Iron Man it crushes has a weird colour scheme too - guessing it's a drone for Stark's privatized world peace, and one of em becomes sentient and turns into Ultron?

The Ultron model that crushes the head has an Avenger's A on its chest so yeah, probably a rogue Stark drone.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Who is beardy Andy Serkis?

He should be Hank Pym, but that's going to be Michael Douglas in Ant-man, right?

So who is he? I should be able to work it out, but I CAN'T!!!!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    The quicksilver effects looked good or anything; it's just streaky blur lines seen in like less than 2 seconds of footage; I'm not sure that's enough to make any kind of judgement yet.

I am curious about
    How Avengers-Quicksilver will compare with X-men-Quicksilver

Who will be the silliest?

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I am guessing:
    Ultron is in the cloud, he utilizes a complete set of drone robots that stark has made and unleashed on the globe.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Hopefully Quicksilver's powers aren't emphasised that oddly. What was that? Some sort of goofy blue lines following him?

Trailer was okay. Didn't quite get me hyped like the original's did but I'm sure it will be an amazing ride.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    useless4 wrote: »
    I am guessing:
    Ultron is in the cloud, he utilizes a complete set of drone robots that stark has made and unleashed on the globe.

Then someone hacks it, and spread bits of Ultron via 4chan?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    poshniallo wrote: »

He should be Hank Pym, but that's going to be Michael Douglas in Ant-man, right?

Best theory I'm seeing is that he's Ulysses Klaw, a minor supervillain and expert on vibranium. The facial hair definitely seems to match up.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Shoe-in of the week: Hydra or AIM stole an Iron Mans, uploaded some modified version of Tony's in-progress AI, when they beat up Hydra in Act 1 he takes it back, and that's Ultron.

But Tony never told anyone he was doing this "AI world peace" thing, he was keeping it hush hush because he didn't even trust the Avengers, so they're having a mad at him and shun him from the cool kids table in the lunchroom of the 200th helicarrier that has been built so far (and it's probably only been four months since Avengers 1!).

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Best theory I'm seeing is that he's Ulysses Klaw, a minor supervillain and expert on vibranium. The facial hair definitely seems to match up.

Hmmm..

'course that thins out potential villains for a Black Panther movie a bit.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer (or rather just a normal Captain America, a zing!) but that looks so generic and much more DC than Marvel. It's got the same bwaaaaams and beats of every cliched blockbuster, kids singing to a Pinnochio song to emphasize this is srs bizness, and now the Avengers are all lost and broken up so quick like O-Town, they couldn't even make it to NSync!

If that was a Transformers trailer it would be ripped to shreds.

Hulkbuster is everything I wanted it to be though, and I like Spader's condescension and the Ultron design.

It looked amazing to me.

Transformers is a very different thing.

When I see the usual quipping gone, that's just more scary. THINGS ARE SO BAD THEY STOPPED QUIPPING!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »

Hmmm..

'course that thins out potential villains for a Black Panther movie a bit.

I'm guessing this is Klaw as a scientist and vibranium expert, from before he became a supervillain. No reason Marvel couldn't bring him back for a Black Panther movie.

• Options
    True.

Also, looking at him, god damn does he look like Klaw. I'll be disappointed if he isn't now. :D

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Because that looks good to me?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ultron singing the song from Pinocchio is fucking creepy as hell.

• Options
    If you're going to have Andy Serkis be human, it only makes sense his later appearance will be in something he has to CGI act in later. Klaw fits that bill.

Unless he's Wonder Man.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Because that looks good to me?

I mean, fair enough since we're talking about opinions here, but what exactly do you think looks good about it?