As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead franchise: Evil Dead Rise in April

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    He looks good!

So, less than a week until we get an official trailer.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Looks like he dropped his Sam Axe weight. I was wondering if he had it in him at this point to get back into shape.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    He got fit way back for the Sam Axe movie.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Just sitting around Miami knocking back Mojitos packs on the pounds!

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Holy shit that looks so gooood

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I need so many more awesome buttons right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    God damn.

I had high hopes already but that trailer just brought my hype levels to insane heights.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I had the same reaction.
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I had the same reaction.
    YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!

Is your girlfriend my friend? I posted the video to my FaceTubeBookJournal, and she commented, "Yes yes yes yes yes"

• Options
    MackenzierMackenzier Gold Star Police Ninja Lurking... less than usual.Registered User regular
    God damn.

I had high hopes already but that trailer just brought my hype levels to insane heights.

That trailers bring all the hype! I'm also pretty tickled that we not only get Bruce (the Man, the Chin) Campbell doing what he does best, we get a Lucy Lawless cameo kicking Deadite ass and taking names. :D

Steam: Mackenzier
    FFRK: 9rRG
  • Options
    Isn't that the same crummy trailer Bruce was living in in My Name is Bruce?

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    god yes more more harder harder harder!

• Options
    Here are some interviews with key people on this project by Entertainment Weekly.

Sam Raimi 1
    I don’t know what’s entertaining about it, but it gives me a great deal of pleasure. In this life, we’re supposed to respond to those things that give us bliss, and for me, this is that thing. So I find it to be a very healthy, productive, one-with-the universe-type thing to torment Bruce. And people love to watch his tormentation. I’m really the vessel — the innocent, wholesome, clear vessel to give the audience what they need, and they need to see him suffer. I think their entertainment is proportional to the amount of suffering Bruce does, and Bruce understands that now. I hit him with a stick every once in a while to prod him along a little for his own good and to get the performance we need out of him. And the kids appreciate that. I do agree it’s a little perverse, but it’s the evil dead who are torturing Bruce, and to make Bruce understand that from the inside out, it’s important to make him feel some pain.

Sam Raimi 2
    So he’s responsible, yet again for unleashing these deadites.

Absolutely. He’s the only one stupid enough to really tamper with those spirits, and he does. But he’s also still a really good monster fighter. So, he’s also going to be kicking some deadite buttocks, if you’ll pardon the French.

Bruce Campbell
    The attempted entertainment value? Pretty high! Pretty high! The only difference now is you don’t see the hoses. You don’t see all the tubes that you used to see in the first Evil Dead. We’ve moved past that. But when we do blood effects, it’s not digital. The other day, the guy brought in a keg! He had a keg on a cart, with the tubes coming out of the keg. This was a high-pressure situation. And then they hit us the other day with mortars. We’re using kegs to pump this blood. We’re using mortars — like air mortars! — to blow this (shit). You kill a monster, it’s ugly.

They're a worthwhile read!

Also, I updated the OP to remove speculation/pre-confirmation stuff and added the trailer video.

• Options
    We need to ditch these tired, old Mad Max buttons and replace them with nice, new Groovy and Gimme Some Sugar buttons.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Groovy
    Gimme Some Sugar
    How 'bout Some Hot Chocolate

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    That's Just Pillow Talk, Baby

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Hail to the king baby!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Klaatu Barada *CoughCoughCough*

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Honey, you got real ugly.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yo, She-Bitch! Let's go.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    We need to ditch these tired, old Mad Max buttons and replace them with nice, new Groovy and Gimme Some Sugar buttons.

Mediocre!

• Options
    How Do You Stop It?
    It's A Trick.
    Get An Axe.
    This Is My Boom-Stick

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Good, Bad. I'm The Guy With A Gun

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    That trailer is amazing. The pilot will be amazing.

I do not think Evil Dead will work very well for a TV series. i mean, the film is just really tight humor mixed with gore in a way that works surprisingly well; there's not much drama to reel you in and, personally, I never got invested in any of the characters. Drama & character investment is kind of important for a TV show.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    That trailer is amazing. The pilot will be amazing.

I do not think Evil Dead will work very well for a TV series. i mean, the film is just really tight humor mixed with gore in a way that works surprisingly well; there's not much drama to reel you in and, personally, I never got invested in any of the characters. Drama & character investment is kind of important for a TV show.

We've been on board with Ash for three movies now. I don't see how it will be difficult to enjoy him over the course of a series. Who needs drama when you have constant one-liners and violence? #newthreadtitle

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    We've been on board with Ash for three movies now. I don't see how it will be difficult to enjoy him over the course of a series. Who needs drama when you have constant one-liners and violence? #newthreadtitle

It's difficult to keep comedy fresh over a TV show's lifespan is the thing. And Evil Dead does a lot of weird comedy, which is probably even more difficult to keep fresh because it's hard to try and invent new things that are still weird after a show has conditioned your expectations for whacky stuff.

But w/e. I'm on board.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I don't think it will be hard to get invested. Sam Raimi has grown as a writer and director since the Evil Dead movie days. Anyway, Ash is one of the most memorable comedic characters of all time, in my opinion. We'll have plenty of opportunities to see his character developed over the course of the show.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Ash is also an incredibly endearing character. He kicks major ass and gets shit done, but not without getting the living crap bear out of him in a hilarious fashion. He's the Jackie Chan of fighting the living dead.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Not the first time Bruce has done a TV show.

we're fine

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    Not the first time Bruce has done a TV show.

we're fine

Plus, Xena is even getting his back again.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Also Jane Levy.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Ash is also an incredibly endearing character. He kicks major ass and gets shit done, but not without getting the living crap bear out of him in a hilarious fashion. He's the Jackie Chan of fighting the living dead.

I love the concept that Ash is the one guy that the monsters can never get. They did some Evil Dead cross-over comics where he fights Freddy and Jason, and it actually works really well - these monsters are so iconic and known for always coming back and killing the guys that stopped them before, but they can't do that with Ash. Ash never has things easy or gets a happy ending and oftentimes doesn't even actually triumph over evil in any kind of lasting victory, but he's the one hero who no monster can really defeat.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »

I love the concept that Ash is the one guy that the monsters can never get. They did some Evil Dead cross-over comics where he fights Freddy and Jason, and it actually works really well - these monsters are so iconic and known for always coming back and killing the guys that stopped them before, but they can't do that with Ash. Ash never has things easy or gets a happy ending and oftentimes doesn't even actually triumph over evil in any kind of lasting victory, but he's the one hero who no monster can really defeat.
    yup, got that one.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Needs a cameo by Jeffery Donovan and Gabriel Anwar.

"My name is Michael Westen. I used to be a spy, until...."

"We got a burn notice on you.....WE'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!"

Jayricho on
  • Options
    It's a trick... get Sam Axe.

• Options
    You know Deadites, bunch of bitchy little girls.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    The Chin has been cast as Ronald Reagan in season 2 of FX's original series Fargo.

Another recurring cast member on the show is Jeffrey Donovan.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    New trailer released today. Quite a bit of footage recycled from the previous trailer, but some new stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxV4jKsxOs0

Captain Tragedy on