As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moms Against Gaming v. Gaming, Exhibit A: Giant Bomb

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    thankfully watching that WoW video reminded me how much I would hate WoW instead of inspiring me to play it

That starting zone was insanely crowded. I haven't seen the human starting zone that crowded since probably the beginning of Cataclysm. I can't figure out why it was so busy.

He was on the "New Players" server, which is the one that's selected automatically when you create your first character. Everyone who's new at the game (which is apparently still a lot of people?) are there.

I guess a significant number of people who made their first char on there just kept making new ones on that server after that too.

Oh, that's a permanent thing? I know they used to have a few recommended low-pop servers for new people, but it was optional. The fact that you can't actually pick at first probably does funnel a lot of newbies there.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    This just reminds me that I need more battle.net friends, both for Diablo and (eventually) Heroes of the Storm.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Friday's you start office drinking at like three

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Drinking before 2pm on a work day is not the best sign for the state of Danny's employment.
    Never heard of drinks for lunch then?

Every company I've ever been at this is strictly forbidden

There is literally a free-serve fridge that is kept well stocked that anyone can take and drink right there at work for free over here.

Yeah, this!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    Drinking before 2pm on a work day is not the best sign for the state of Danny's employment.

Weird, most jobs I've worked stock Kokanee in their fridges

kokanee1.jpg???

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i love this mario party stream so much

jeff is so sad

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    thankfully watching that WoW video reminded me how much I would hate WoW instead of inspiring me to play it

That starting zone was insanely crowded. I haven't seen the human starting zone that crowded since probably the beginning of Cataclysm. I can't figure out why it was so busy.

He was on the "New Players" server, which is the one that's selected automatically when you create your first character. Everyone who's new at the game (which is apparently still a lot of people?) are there.

I guess a significant number of people who made their first char on there just kept making new ones on that server after that too.

Oh, that's a permanent thing? I know they used to have a few recommended low-pop servers for new people, but it was optional. The fact that you can't actually pick at first probably does funnel a lot of newbies there.

No you can

but it'll select that one by default so you get a high population of new players on there

it's even labeled as being for new players.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I will never understand iPhone autocorrect when it comes to s-letters

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Well what are they gonna do, fire them?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Well what are they gonna do, fire them?

Well, yeah.

Chincy was talking about drinking alcohol with your lunch on workdays in general.

sig.gif
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    Friday's you start office drinking at like three

Weird

This is a really different office culture from here

I mean we go to one of the like 15 microbreweries after work

but not at work

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Peak office productivity is somewhere around 2 beers. You get just relaxed enough that you get way more efficient at what you're doing but you're not at the point where you're losing faculties.

And like, tons of offices know that and let their employees drink on purpose specifically because they want that to happen.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Crazy

Why would you not drink at work

Silly America

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i'm sad i can't drink anymore

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

zay has gone through a miraculous de-aging process that has turned him back to age 20

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I think the only reason drinking wasn't encouraged and common at jobs I've been at is we all had to drive a lot

I would gladly double my commute if I had the option to take a bus once in a while

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    it might be something to do with alcohol affecting people differently - i know people that could absolutely not have 2 drinks and be fully functional, so you'd have to create different rules for different people

then there's also the people that would take more than 2 anyway

and the amount of liability you'd theoretically be under from letting employees drink

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There is a direct correlation between ability to drink at work and how much employees are actually cared about.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    it might be something to do with alcohol affecting people differently - i know people that could absolutely not have 2 drinks and be fully functional, so you'd have to create different rules for different people

and the amount of liability you'd theoretically be under from letting employees drink

The rule is "if you surpass your intake limits such that you're unable to adequately perform your job, you done fucked up".

signature.png

• Options
    Huntera wrote: »

zay has gone through a miraculous de-aging process that has turned him back to age 20

Uh, there are legit reasons why someone would not want to drink anymore, guy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can't imagine a place you'd need a drink more than at work

Combat?

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »

The rule is "if you surpass your intake limits such that you're unable to adequately perform your job, you done fucked up".

lawyers would have a field day with that sentence. it's too nebulous

• Options
    edited July 2014
    It may also be partly due to the fact that every job I've had is in the same sector and is both government contracting and deals with sensitive information

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular

as someone who doesn't drink yes I know that

• Options
    Loose lips sink ships and all

• Options
    JohnHam wrote: »

Yeah let's be clear, anyone who gets wasted at work (outside of happy hours and parties and such) is gonna be noticed and hear about it and gonna get in trouble. The bosses aren't stupid.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Liability is definitely the reason companies will not openly allow you to drink at work.

The first person that falls down a staircase or leaves the office shitfaced and crashes their car is going to sue sue sue.

• Options
    Don't get fucking bombed at work

If you do your dumb

Nothing wrong with cracking a cold one while I sketch out coupons though

• Options
    It may also be partly due to the fact that every job I've had is in the same sector and is both government contracting and deals with sensitive information

yeah i was going to add that i used to work at a winery and drinking during work was uh

definitely something that happened there.

i now work in healthcare and, much like your position, the crazy amount of liability i'd be under for making a mistake with even one drink would be enough to bankrupt my family

so while canada may still be more lax about it, its fair to assume its also largely informed by the type of environment one works in

• Options
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Break out your scheduling calendars if you plan on raiding in Destiny.
    Raids are “extremely crafted,” six-player, friends-only gauntlet runs that might best be described as gut-checks. Yes, they will be difficult, and they will absolutely require communication and cooperation. That’s why Bungie isn’t supporting matchmaking for them; the developers don’t want them to be played by disparate groups of strangers. But Smith is quick to point out that they’re not like Strikes – the instanced dungeon-like runs that might take a mere 20-60 minutes – but more like MMO raids in that you’re going to want to buckle up and get comfortable for a couple hours.

“The activity is going to take you and your group of five buddies into a place that you’ve never been,” Smith explains. “A place that you will return to frequently. And [it will] demand of you things you’ve never even really been asked to do in a shooter before.”

And what was left of my interest in Destiny drains away.

Which is kind of nice honestly, there's already more games I want to play coming out in the next few months than I can really afford.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

yeah not dying is a good reason for me, personally

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options

yeah i was going to add that i used to work at a winery and drinking during work was uh

definitely something that happened there.

i now work in healthcare and, much like your position, the crazy amount of liability i'd be under for making a mistake with even one drink would be enough to bankrupt my family

so while canada may still be more lax about it, its fair to assume its also largely informed by the type of environment one works in

I could go to jail!

Woo!

• Options
    Also anyone watching this it was a joke please don't hurt me

• Options
    Liability is definitely the reason companies will not openly allow you to drink at work.

The first person that falls down a staircase or leaves the office shitfaced and crashes their car is going to sue sue sue.

Things called employment agreements exist

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I very purposefully do not drink because I know myself and I know that if I ever started drinking it would go real real real REAL bad

I can go through the entire internal justification spiral in my head right now and boom Ceno's pouring liquor on corn flakes in the morning

• Options
    Like there's obviously job situations where they probably won't let you drink on the job but the people talking about companies getting sued or the legal reasons, as if the companies allowing this have somehow overlooked this particular aspect, are silly

• Options
    i'm mad my nice cleric guy is Vindictive because i was fine with killing a chicken for dinner

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    i'm mad my nice cleric guy is Vindictive because i was fine with killing a chicken for dinner

To be fair all animals in divinity are sentient so

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    Right now I'm at my desk having a St. Ambroise apricot and it's pretty damn great let me tell you

This discussion has been closed.