As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to learn bass

FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I was going to bring this up in the guitar thread, but I didn't.
I want to learn how to play bass. What do I do and how do I start?

Fellhand on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What kind of bass, and what kind of music do you prefer to listen to? As in, what is it that caused you to develop this interest? Nurturing that will lead to a smoother beginning.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about an example answer Eggy?

Cause = Guitaur Hero, boredom

Fav bass music = Rage Against the Machine, Primus

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When it comes to bassists, there are few better than Les Claypool, I will give you that.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    The problem with starting up in bass, is that you can't get away with a cheap instrument nearly enough. You can start guitar with a $150 package that includes a tiny practise amp, but you won't be able to grab a really playable bass with an amp at that price. You really need to get an instrument with a decent neck.

Since I assume you don't know much about instruments, this means you should learn a little bit on a rental if you can, and then go buy one once you know you're going to pursue it, and that you should then go play a few in a store before you buy something.

This will let you get some experience on a decent instrument, and then know a thing or two when you're actually picking one out. Trying to learn on a bargain axe is more likely to turn you off from bass in general, and buying a cheap bass, then replacing it in three months or a year is going to cost more anyhow, and result in you playing a shitty, unfun instrument for like a year.

I wouldn't say this is AS true about guitars, because you can get a playable guitar for far less than a bass. Guitar in general is one of the cheapest instruments to start up at the entry level, bass is not so much.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    What kind of bass, and what kind of music do you prefer to listen to? As in, what is it that caused you to develop this interest? Nurturing that will lead to a smoother beginning.

Also, you might want to make sure you'll have people to play with. Bass is a pretty boring solo instrument, especially when you're starting out. Playing with others is also good practice keeping time, which is an important part of playing instrument, especially bass.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    The problem with starting up in bass, is that you can't get away with a cheap instrument nearly enough. You can start guitar with a $150 package that includes a tiny practise amp, but you won't be able to grab a really playable bass with an amp at that price. You really need to get an instrument with a decent neck.

Since I assume you don't know much about instruments, this means you should learn a little bit on a rental if you can, and then go buy one once you know you're going to pursue it, and that you should then go play a few in a store before you buy something.

This will let you get some experience on a decent instrument, and then know a thing or two when you're actually picking one out. Trying to learn on a bargain axe is more likely to turn you off from bass in general, and buying a cheap bass, then replacing it in three months or a year is going to cost more anyhow, and result in you playing a shitty, unfun instrument for like a year.

I wouldn't say this is AS true about guitars, because you can get a playable guitar for far less than a bass. Guitar in general is one of the cheapest instruments to start up at the entry level, bass is not so much.

I can't agree with that 100%. Like you said, it's always better to learn on a nicer instrument, but I've played some Cort brand basses, and they only go for about $150 online and they're really not bad at all. The pickups aren't great, but the build is solid, whereas I've not played a guitar that cost under $300 that was worth a damn. I think it's the amplifier that's going to cost more. A good bass amp is always more expensive than a comparable guitar amp.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    pheezer FD wrote: »

I can't agree with that 100%. Like you said, it's always better to learn on a nicer instrument, but I've played some Cort brand basses, and they only go for about $150 online and they're really not bad at all. The pickups aren't great, but the build is solid, whereas I've not played a guitar that cost under $300 that was worth a damn. I think it's the amplifier that's going to cost more. A good bass amp is always more expensive than a comparable guitar amp.
    You can get a Mexican Stratocaster for $150 if you look around. Used, obviously.

Anyways. If possible find a friend who has a bass that you can mess around with for a while or go to some shops and play some. Get a feel for what you like and if you think you're serious about this then I recommend like Pheezer said and actually drop a good bit of money on it.

I think musiciansfriend.com sells blemished instruments at a discount (they have scratches or whatever on them) but shipping can be insane and unless you can find the same instrument locally you won't get to test it out.

The Cheese on
  • Options
    Masked_MulletMasked_Mullet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i have a left handed bass called a typhoon, i'll give you guys the link, it's not to bad i picked it up plus the amp/strap, picks and patch cord for about 300 bucks, and it still runs well. Like they say though find people to jam with, cause well this instrument can be quite boring playing by yourself. But sometimes there's nothing like playing "Psycho" by system of a down, oh and if you want to learn a hell of an easy song "Sugar" also by system of a down.

Masked_Mullet on
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, assuming you can work out how to get a bass you need to start playing something. I'd hope you would take the time to learn some basic music theory and then memorize the notes on the bass itself. However, chances are high that you will just go memorize some scales and rock out to simple pop/punk tunes that only have the bass playing the root of the chord. No harm in this because it will teach you how to keep time and help build up the stamina you need to start to really practice. If you can try to learn to read music, not just guitar tab, because then you can go out and buy real sheet music to learn songs correctly in the event that you suck hard at transcribing songs (as is the case with me). Much like the guitar, the bass is all about time spent in that the more you play it and listen to others play it the better you get. With that in mind you'll probably want to check out Victor Wooten from Bela Fleck, Bootsie Collins from P-Funk, Flea (because this music is probably most accesable), John Paul Jones because he really wast that good, and John Entwistle who made a lot of the Who songs really move. Again, the guy from Rancid has chops as well, but it depends on the genre you enjoy the most as genre's have amazing bassists, but you won't care unless you like that music.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    DynamiteKidDynamiteKid Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I play bass better than a lot of people I know, and I learned by jamming on other people's at every opportunity. I've been competent for years and I only bought one for myself last week; so I'd advise you to play on other people's for a while before you go and buy one for yourself. Plus that way if you change your mind it's no biggy.

If you do end up doing it, I have two bits of advice for you:
    - Don't take crap from guitarists about bass being easier; prove them wrong.
    - Don't become just some root-note-pumping jerk. Anyone can be the bass player in a punk band because you just need to play a C a G and an F at 150bpm or whatever. Learn yourself some scales. Learn when flashiness is necessary and when it isn't. Learn both fingers and plectrum playing.

DynamiteKid on
    NWA01-1.jpg
    www.rockmidgets.com