As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Troubles with Airline Carryons

Bob20021Bob20021 Registered User regular
Hey friends! Who is excited for Pax!? I know I am, but at the moment, i'm having some real troubles. I'm flying out Frontier, transferring to Alaska and i'll be there. On the way back, however, I am riding United all the way. My problem is: each airline has different rules for carry on size and price. I thought all airlines had carry on free? Is this not the case anymore? Also how lenient is each airline? Will two inches over on height ruin me or would i be fine? I'm just super nervous about all this and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance for anyone that helps me!:D

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    22x14x9 inches

All you need to know. These dimensions are pretty much the universal standard now.

If you go over, they may ask you to check the bag, which can cost up to $50 per stowed bag.

Here is United's reference page http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

I've flown Southwest, Iceland Air, United, British Airways, and Japan Airlines, and these dimensions worked for all of them.

sacratoy on
    PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    about carry on though, is it free? or do a lot of places charge?

• Options
    sacratoysacratoy Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    On United and Alaskan Airlines, your first carry-on plus personal item (backpack) is free.

On Frontier, they nickel and dime you. Your first personal item (backpack) is free, but it will cost you $35 at check-in if you want to take on your carry-on bag.

http://www.flyfrontier.com/customer-service/travel-support/baggage/carry-on-baggage

PAX Prime 2014: Pass [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Vacation Days [x]

PAX Prime 2014 Preparations Complete
  • Options
    Man that really sucks about Frontier but i'm at least grateful for the other two. Thanks for the information.

• Options
    IdiotPatrolIdiotPatrol Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Frontier is like the rest, 1 carry-on and 1 personal item (backpack, purse, etc.) free. Most flights I've been on have a bin by the gate that you stick your bag in. If it fits, it flies. If your 2 inches over but it's stuff you can compress to get into the bin, I think you'll be ok. I see people on every flight trying to cram their carry-on into those things.

edit: Ah, I see Frontier is now charging for carry-ons with their cheap seats as of April 27th. Guess they gotta make money somehow, just happy that Southwest has non-stop to Seattle with all the free bags I could need.

IdiotPatrol on
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I've done more long-haul flights than domestic, but I've never had a problem with "slightly" over carry-on. Staff don't typically walk around with tape measures, and if your bag is a plausible size, few will stop you. YMMV though.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    level1gamerlevel1gamer Registered User regular
    I fly fairly often. Typically 3 to 4 times a year. I have never had staff check the size of my carry-on at check-in. I'm not sure what the size my carry-on is, but it's not particularly small. I've never heard of an airline charging for a carry-on. Things change, but I've never heard of that before.

Sometimes, if you are flying in a small commuter jet, you have to gate check you carry-on. That happens at the gate. The attendant gives you a tag and you leave your carry-on in the bridge-thing right before you get on the plane. Gate checking does not cost you anything.

I'd imagine if your carry-on was the right size for your first connection and too large for your second connection, then worst case scenario, you'll be asked to gate check your bag. Again, that's free.

• Options
    BLaZuREBLaZuRE Registered User regular
    Spirit Airlines, Frontier Airlines, and Allegiant Air now charge for carry-ons. The airlines state their fees if you look for them on their website. You could also just call in.

Also note, it seems that fee changes are based on your purchase date so you shouldn't need to worry about stuff changing.

PAX West 2017 Checklist:
    [X] Order Badges [X] Hotel [ X ] Flight [ X ] Time Off [ X ] Bobcat [ . ] Office Set [ . ] Challenge Coin [ . ] Sanity

yQb8WN6.png
  • Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    I have flown Delta, and Alaskan. As long as your carry on fits in the compartment they don't care. Pro tip if you are worried about being charged for the carry on if its too big. Just be one of the last in line. If its a full flight they might run out of room. If they say so just be the first to say you volunteer to check your carry on. They don't charge for that, they just take it out for you and it will be waiting on you when you land.

• Options
    level1gamerlevel1gamer Registered User regular
    Wow. Frontier does charge for a carry-on. $25. That's crazy. So, basically, they're hiding $25 of the ticket price in the carry-on fee, because who can fly without a bag at all?

• Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    Wow. Frontier does charge for a carry-on. $25. That's crazy. So, basically, they're hiding $25 of the ticket price in the carry-on fee, because who can fly without a bag at all?

I've only done it once, but that was a 17 hour Vegas trip. I had all I needed in my pockets (and it was winter, so I had jacket pockets, too.)

• Options
    zannahzannah Registered User regular
    I fly Alaska most often (and just came back from SDCC through them) so I can only help with that one - they don't really scrutinize the size of your bag(s) whether it's the carry-on or the "personal item". I've seen people take some pretty questionably-sized items on without question.

On fuller flights, they often will ask people before pre-board if they are willing to check their carry-on "free of charge" at the gate to create additional space.

• Options
    Star ForgeStar Forge Registered User regular
    You can also try to fly on Southwest, being on of the only domestic airlines that lets you check-in two bags free.

Attending [E]nforcing: PAX East 2015 Vacation: [x] Flight: [x] Hotel: [x] [E] Schedule: []
    Attended: PAX Prime 2014
    Considering: PAX Prime 2015