As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Distracting yourself after a death

WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
My mom passed away yesterday morning, I am completely unprepared for it and completely alone for 4 more days til first family member arrives, I can't seem to do anything distracting without being overwhelmed by sadness and guilt, I don't know what to do , And I literally have nobody for 3 more days. this is now my second parent to die in my arms.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    I can't even imagine this. I lost my mom a year ago and it *still* hurts. It's ok to be sad, it's natural. It does get better, though. I'm sorry, I wish I could be more help. I had work to dive into, but honestly I was pretty useless at work for a bit so that may or may not be good to do.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Sometimes it helps to confront it. Look at old pictures, old memories. Remember the good times. It's also okay to just be sad and cry. You can allow yourself that.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sometimes, there is no avoiding a strong feeling, at least at first. You experience the feeling, maybe you even wallow in it a little bit, until enough time has passed for you to be able to feel other things. I'm sorry, I know this isn't very helpful. I'm also sorry that you're in pain right now, I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    My mom passed away yesterday morning, I am completely unprepared for it and completely alone for 4 more days til first family member arrives, I can't seem to do anything distracting without being overwhelmed by sadness and guilt, I don't know what to do , And I literally have nobody for 3 more days. this is now my second parent to die in my arms.

First off, I am truly sorry for your loss. I know how hard losing a parent can be.

Second, you need to take care of yourself. You should check with your employer and find out what their bereavement policy is. Also, if your company has an EAP (Employee Assistance Program), I highly recommend taking advantage of it, as they will have councilors available over the phone, and may be able to arrange for you to see a professional locally for face to face support. Also, taking care of all this will help get your mind off of things for a bit.

Third, if you need to talk, just shoot me a PM, and I will be happy to respond. Nobody should have to do this alone.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You can PM me if you want to.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I tend to try to re-watch something light that I enjoy, that I can get lost in and will kill time. I find that helps distract me when no one is around.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    When my dad died very unexpectedly I was torn between frantic cleaning energy, sobbing, and throwing myself at friends to distract myself whenever possible. Just calling or seeing something and talking about anything other than what just happened was my method of distraction.

I still haven't dealt with any of it.

I don't know how much help that is but I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

• Options
    Ya I'm using exhaustion basically as a calming mechanism atm , my work if anything has been a blessing I've been a longtime solid employee in somewhat of a tightknit family restaurant, so they have stopped by a couple times trying to force food in me. I, don't even think I actually believe it yet, I'm mostly just trying to stay distracted , first Aunt arrives tomorrow morning

• Options
    Se+ saving my butt actually,, can't finish a thread there without another bookmarked thread gaining 40 posts

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Tobes, I am truly sorry for your loss.

I've found working out helps. If you already do exercise work out a little harder. More than anything it helps to get through the night without being restless, your body just can't fight being physically tired and emotionally tired at the same time. And it doesn't take away the loss or the sadness but it does push away the guilt, which I felt myself when my grandfather died.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So sorry for your loss. My father passed away when I was young, and it's still something I reflect upon to this day.

From personal experience, you will most likely feel yourself going through the generic "stages of grief". Denial, bargaining, anger, etc. etc. etc. are probably going to happen at one point or another. I still to this day remember my eleven-year-old self crying in the shower, bargaining with whatever powers that be in my head that I would give anything to just have my dad back.

Try to maintain a sense of self-awareness. Recognizing when you are going through these emotions and accepting them, instead of trying to deflect them or push them on others (e.g., starting fights because you're mad), can help you to process. This isn't to say that you should wallow in depression, but if you are sad, it's OK to feel sad and to understand that you have suffered a huge loss, and feeling sad is a natural and normal thing. Hopefully, with time, it will pass.

Talking with friends/family can be helpful. Sharing grief is a powerful way to help each other to process what has happened and to move on. Focusing on the things that you loved about your mom, the funny/stupid things she would do, appreciating the good times you had together, not just alone but with others, can help - this way her memory isn't just associated with the pain of her loss but also the joy of her life as well.

Unfortunately everyone experiences loss differently, so it's not like there is a twelve-step program that we can give you that will totally for sure make everything better. The reality is that this is one of those things that will cause some suffering in your life, but hopefully, with enough time, it will pass and you will be able to move forward. I doubt your mom would want you to stop living life just because she is gone.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever feel like you need someone to talk to.

P.S. - Exercise totally helps. Even just running. Run until your lungs give out. If you are looking for things to do, the first thing I would recommend is exercising. As in, do that first, then play video games and surf the web.

• Options
    Well looks like also gonna lose house and car to miswritten bullshit shiesty lawyers and shit family, bsically losing everything I loved and owned this wekk now. Medicine cabinet looking mighty tasty

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Well looks like also gonna lose house and car to miswritten bullshit shiesty lawyers and shit family, bsically losing everything I loved and owned this wekk now. Medicine cabinet looking mighty tasty

If your serious, please go seek help immediately.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And your own lawyer.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Both of those things, especially the lawyer.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    You should check out http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ and/or http://www.befrienders.org/. They can put you in touch with qualified personnel. Unfortunately any kind of suicide talk (whether you're serious or not), requires me to shut the thread down or ban you until you seek help. The people of these forums are not qualified to help you with serious mental issues and it's not fair on them to put them in that position. I hope you understand, and I'm here if you have any questions about this.

• Options
    ya sorry that was more venting tham serious, I'm just completelylost now

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Seeing a professional is still a good idea. A therapist will be able to help you much more than we can.

My only other advice would be to take things at your own speed. Everyone deals with this in their own way, don't try to set up expectations of how you should deal with this.