As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, August 8, 2014 - The Talk, By Kris Straub

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2014 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Friday, August 8, 2014 - The Talk, By Kris Straub

The Talk, By Kris Straub

The Talk, By Kris Straub

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/08/08

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Mingo413Mingo413 Registered User regular
    ...How long have comments been underneath the comics?

• Options
    DoraukoDorauko Awesome OhioRegistered User regular
    A long while.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    D:

• Options
    BurgeriBurgeri Registered User new member
    Umm, why exactly is explaining human procreation to kids an issue? I can't even remember being so young that I wouldn't have known where babies came from.

Cited,
    Feeling Like a Foreigner (which I am)

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    It's not Broodhollow, with creepy-glow-eyed ghostwangs, gaping pit vaginas, and Kris' skeleton clawing its way out of his flesh....but it'll do.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    this is the greatest thing that ever happened

(but seriously, it did make me actually laugh. Out loud.)

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    I laughed hard at this one. That timing.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    What are Mike and Jerry up to? While I can appreciate the guest strips, I'm getting tired of this subject after two full weeks.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This is great. Last panel makes it :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Last panel greatness right there. Way to kill it Kris.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What are Mike and Jerry up to? While I can appreciate the guest strips, I'm getting tired of this subject after two full weeks.

As they stated in a news post (and in the latest DLC related to these strips), they got back more positive responses than they planned for. Today is the last one per the podcast.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    megnanimousmegnanimous Registered User regular
    This entire guest run has been brilliant. It only occurred to me yesterday that Kris could get in on this, and his contribution is so, so good. A++ for all the artists in this series.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Burgeri wrote: »
    Umm, why exactly is explaining human procreation to kids an issue?

Because America

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

As they stated in a news post (and in the latest DLC related to these strips), they got back more positive responses than they planned for. Today is the last one per the podcast.

From the podcast which I don't think non-clubpa people have access to yet.
    Today is the last of the guest strips.
    The podcast mentioned that they would be making one opening comic ("The Talk by Mike Krahulik") and one closing comic, maybe the talk by jerry holkins?

So by the podcast, monday will be the last one

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Panel #2 is fantastic

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Having to spell Krlb Wrst's name correctly when uploading this to Facebook caused me great anguish

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    to be fair, Chiss Twalb is a hard name to spell

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Evil TacoEvil Taco Registered User regular
    Turns out that "penny arcade" is now going to be known as "sex ed". The comic will now consist of various artists from around the web explaining where babies come from to one increasingly annoyed child, and a rather bored audience.

Guest runs are good and all, but this is kinda the same punchline over and over again. Glad to be out of it.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    opinions.

it's weird to me when the comic does a short hiatus like this and dozens of people come out of the woodwork to do nothing but complain.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think each comic, on its own, has been amusing. But taken as a whole, the joke is pretty tired. I'm not against guest strips. But guest strips of different topics would have been better, considering the length of time that this has gone on.

• Options
    The Word of BirdThe Word of Bird Might be in a dreamland....Registered User regular
    What I want to know is: How old will little Gabe be before his parents let him see these comics?

Gaming since 1986.
    Things I need to learn: To properly knit, speak Klingon, and speak/read Japanese so I can play Final Fantasy games in their original language.
    "S.o.o.n." : "'Severe Obligation to Observe' Neurosis". This Neurosis impels the subject to constantly observe an object, waiting for a change they are certain must come "Soon".
    Hotel [x] Pax Badgers Fri [x] Sat [ ] Sun [x] Mon [x] Just need 2 Saturdays, and then our sets will be complete! And then...waiting for Pax.....F5F5F5F5F5F5F5....
  • Options
    WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    So if we're at the end minus Jerry's thesaurus-laden wrapup? RANKING TIME!
    I'd give first prize to AmyFalconess for topical nailingIt.
    I'd give second first prize to Katie for pure comedy gold.
    The rest can fight over the third first prize for the same joke.

In this day and age all peoples have to be given first prize or so I've been told. This is what comes from attending a nephew's 2nd grade graduation with the only trophies being "FIRST PLACE" participation trophies for everyone. Congrats on not becoming a 2nd grade hobo I guess. </rambling>

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I like having bunches of different takes on the same concept. Haven't been bored with this series at all!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel as though the incantation didn't succeed because he did not invoke proper requisition of the Goblin King.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Those first two panels are just basically perfect

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think I liked this one the most.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That fifth panel. Amazing.

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    It makes it that much more amazing when you can read the strip in the person's voice and have it enhance the experience. This is one of those strips.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I love Krasp Stroob.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's all worth it for "This is the perfect question for someone who sometimes does animations for your dad."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MinuteWaltMinuteWalt Mister Registered User regular
    Kris, I once thought everyone was raised in a similar tradition. I was wrong. Just be aware you may not share similar values as people you think are your "friends." It was embarrassing and awkward when I found out. My "besties" were running and screaming at The Time they were to be Fulfilled... let's just say they weren't the "Best Friends" they led me to believe they were. xxooxxoox

Moving right along:

The "carousel of strangers" remark from the first The Talk makes a much different kind of sense now.

When it first posted, it was a poignant comment on letting School and Other Sources take that freaky burden off Gabe's hands.

Now, the Carousel of Strangers is an actual cabal of cartoonists whose names can be listed if it ever comes to court.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    "Our bodies told the ultimate lie to one another" is my new synonym for the sex.

• Options
    Evil TacoEvil Taco Registered User regular
    >it's weird to me when the comic does a short hiatus like this and dozens of people come out of the woodwork to do nothing but complain.

Almost like lurkers come out and comment when they have opinions of stuff? Wow, that's crazy. Personally, I was fine with it until we got a couple of weeks in. This guest run is LONG.

It's weird to me that when we're like "We miss the real comic!" people somehow get annoyed by it. Personally, I mean it as a compliment to the PA guys. Other people's stuff doesn't do it for me. I come here for them.

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    I hope that if the last part of The Talk is indeed Jerry Holkins, that he also does the art.

Warning! Wangs!
    WANGNING!

• Options
    Caribbean_SmurfCaribbean_Smurf Registered User regular
    The others were mildly amusing, but Kris Straub really knocks it out of the park. Every panel is a new laugh.

''Perfect question for a guy who sometimes does animations for your dad''
    ''What have I done''
    ''The ultimate lie''
    ''Nine somber months''

Great.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "We miss the real comic"?

yeah I can't stand fake comics either. I heard they cause cancer in laboratory rats, and the taste is never quite right anyway.

• Options
    People are always going to come in during guest strip periods or longer running arcs and say they want the normal comic back. It's fine, it's understandable. In an ideal world, I guess people would just wait it out, but it actually causes more of a problem when people react to them angrily or snarkily. If they're being abusive, ping me and I'll sort it out. Otherwise, just let people be people.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    People are always going to come in during guest strip periods or longer running arcs and say they want the normal comic back. It's fine, it's understandable. In an ideal world, I guess people would just wait it out, but it actually causes more of a problem when people react to them angrily or snarkily. If they're being abusive, ping me and I'll sort it out. Otherwise, just let people be people.
    Well, OK, but when you come out of the woodwork only to complain, you're kind of asking to be complained about right back. It's a compliment. It would be more insulting to be ignored.

• Options
    So I'm telling you to be more insulting. That is a rare treat.

• Options
    AntonNULAntonNUL Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Oh, shit. It's already past 9 in Seattle, I think, and there's no new comic. This can only mean one thing... Everybody in Washington is dead! Nooooo-- but honestly I want Jerry to get to work and draw his version of the strip because that's going to be the best PA strip ever and I have hype. I have hype, good sir.

EDIT: My hype is gone, good sir. At least new comic.

AntonNUL on