As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Landmark] is gone and all we have are memories (and screenshots)

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well hey, this has now garnered my attention. Building stuff is not something I am all that good at. But making npcs and shit? That excites me.

I might need to buy into this now.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Man, like... okay.

I, too, am shite at actually building stuff. But I am SUPER INTERESTED in the idea of having dungeon creation, NPC creation, and other storytelling tools...

If Landmark basically becomes a multiplayer toolkit for RPG content creation, like... that'll be huge. I will totally buy that and I will finally start making stories and things. Hell yes.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Sounds like they're consolidating Landmark and EQN into something less ambitious than EQN but bigger than Landmark was originally intended to be. Back to being cautiously optimistic.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Man, like... okay.

I, too, am shite at actually building stuff. But I am SUPER INTERESTED in the idea of having dungeon creation, NPC creation, and other storytelling tools...

If Landmark basically becomes a multiplayer toolkit for RPG content creation, like... that'll be huge. I will totally buy that and I will finally start making stories and things. Hell yes.

that doesnt sound bad at all.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. I wanted Landmark to be Minecraft to tide me over to EQN. I already played Project Spark, which this sounds more like, and it wasn't that great.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Man, like... okay.

If this is what Landmark ends up accomplishing instead of being a prelude to EQN then I will consider my early backer money well spent in the end, though I am still saddened to see EQN get canned.

488W936.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Man, like... okay.

If this is what Landmark ends up accomplishing instead of being a prelude to EQN then I will consider my early backer money well spent in the end, though I am still saddened to see EQN get canned.

I honestly felt like this was going to happen as soon as they announced Landmark. A bit more of a positive spin mind you, like, "We're makin bank from Landmark so why even do EQNext". Landmark tech at the time was just too ambitious to stick on top of a completed MMO.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    The update that will add all the announced changes to the beta is happening today! It'll take awhile, though, the game is expected to be offline for a day or two. It involves a claim wipe and character wipe for current beta players, and there's an FAQ about that linked from the main post:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-game-update-is-coming.56232/

They're streaming a preview of the changes also:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-live-tuesday-march-22-11am-pdt.56242/

Edit: I was logged in just now and got this message: "The server is shutting down in: 20m:00s. Shutdown Reason: Because we love you and are making things work better!"..l.so I guess it's happening! :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    A claim wipe? So do I want to hollow out the giant volcanic pillar that towered over the entire island all of again, or so I want to make something new?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Decomposey wrote: »
    A claim wipe? So do I want to hollow out the giant volcanic pillar that towered over the entire island all of again, or so I want to make something new?

My bad, it's not just a claim wipe, it's also a character wipe. They're not just changing claim sizes and adding islands (now called Landscapes), they are also changing some items that existed and adding a currency called Lumens. And some stuff that was free-to-place (like stucco) now costs dirt to place, which is disappointing but I assume it's to help make the Lumen thing more important? There's still lots of free-to-place stuff (mostly stone textures, dirt, sand, water), but anything that looks "refined" is going to require gathering resources:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-wipe-q-a.56195/

I guess there was no real point to me logging in to loot those chests by my claims, since my glorious outfit collection will be gone. Small price to pay for the amazing changes coming though! :)

Edit: Keep in mind they're adding new flat areas called Pioneer Landscapes that you can only claim if it's your first claim post-wipe (for now, later they will add more if it's popular). So if you want a perfectly flat space to build on instead of terraforming the wild, you can do that now. :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Where's the fun in a perfectly flat landscape? managing to alter your building so that it fits seamlessly into the natural terrain instead of biting massive ugly chunks out of it is half the fun.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I think I may try to get back into this. I got the $100 founder pack but I never did much with the general because my old pc was not able to play it after a certain patch.

Was the 100 trailblazer?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Man, like... okay.

that doesnt sound bad at all.

Honestly it could be a pretty fun niche game of do it yourself dungeon type things and exploring other peoples creations. I had a really nice world tree/gnome caverns build in an earlier build that if I could have populated with NPC would have made an excellent old school eq1 type dungeon.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    So the servers are still down for maintenance, but we have some pretty exciting stuff to look forward to:

Patch Notes:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-update-notes-march-21.56259/

Livestream VoD:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwuQ94ccfQ

I don't normally watch the livestreams, but I watched this video all the way through. There's some super cool stuff in there, and I now have no doubt that Landmark is real and happening. They're already talking about post-release updates!

Random exciting things:
    • Text is coming! Not in this patch, but soon you can give your NPCs stuff to say!
    • Moving around is super easy now with the Teleport Menu! Teleport to your claims, other people's claims, the portal spire, or a random underground adventure.
    • You can now set a Teleport Arrival Point on your build site! So no more teleporting into your backyard instead of your front porch. And if you're making a dungeon for other people, they can respawn at your Arrival Point if they die while attempting your dungeon, so they don't have to trudge all the way back from the nearest graveyard.

There's probably going to be a ton of bugs with an update this huge, but I can't wait to get in there and start playing with monsters! :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I had just randomly thought to check on the status of EQN today, only to find out about these changes.

I went from completely ignoring Landmark to suddenly being very interested.

• Options
    Is the new update done yet?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Kylindra wrote: »
    You can now set a Teleport Arrival Point on your build site! So no more teleporting into your backyard instead of your front porch. And if you're making a dungeon for other people, they can respawn at your Arrival Point if they die while attempting your dungeon, so they don't have to trudge all the way back from the nearest graveyard.

Oh thank god. My last build was at the top of a hollowed out naturally occurring lava spire. So when you'd teleport to the build, you would appear mid air about 5 feet away from the spire, and about 200 feet away from the ground.

I actually put "Not responsible for teleport deaths from falling" in my build description.

I'm still shocked I got likes on the build, as it meant people teleported in, fell to their deaths, walked back, grappling hook climbed back up to the build and THEN looked around.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    HAHA I think its just that everybody either had the hover boots or instinctive grapple hooks that they were so used to random teleports being potentially dangerous you just get used to frantically grappling for your life.

• Options
    I think I may try to finally make something. Just need a terrifying quantity of obsidian.

Is the guild function new? Do we have a guild?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Stragint wrote: »
    I think I may try to finally make something. Just need a terrifying quantity of obsidian.

Is the guild function new? Do we have a guild?

Guilds got wiped along with characters, but I'll go ahead and re-create the Arcadian Architects now. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Edit: Arcadian Architects have been reborn! Message me for an invite. I have no idea if I can send them when people are offline, but we can try. I'll give everyone who joins invite permission so we can get the ball rolling. :)

Edit 2: I updated the OP with the recent patch notes and the hotfix notes from today. The game seems stable-ish at the moment, although there's more fixes coming next week. The patch was basically an overhaul of 90% of the game systems, so naturally the bug list is a mile long, but it's definitely playable now. :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Are we able to have a guild plot?

• Options
    Are we able to have a guild plot?

Not as such, but I'm planning to use one of my claims as a Guild Hall. I'll be able to give everyone in the guild building permissions and stuff so we can work on it together. There's even a Guild Hall tag you can use so that when people search for Guild Hall claims, it shows up. :)

Maybe a good project after launch? Or sooner, if there's enough interest. :)

• Options
    I'm down, my name is Stragint in the game. I will be on in 3 or 4 hours.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I spent yesterday starting my initial project and learning the new systems.

So far, it's an arena with a chest sitting on a grate above a pit of lava. The time in the arena is perpetually set to 2am so it's dark. You click the chest, a skeleton spawns where there's a pile of bones sitting in the corner. When the skeleton dies, a lizardman spawns. When he dies, two more skeletons spawn. That's it so far. For the final product I'm hoping to have the doors to the arena slam shut behind you and not open until you've defeated a gauntlet of monsters culminating in a boss. Baby steps! It's a simple project but I'm learning a ton about the new systems and getting all kinds of ideas for my next (much more ambitious) project.

Screenshot album of my Mountaintop Arena (WIP)

If you want to check it out in-game, search for Sage's Mountaintop Arena (should be in the gallery). You should be able to teleport straight there from the gallery menu.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    I'm down, my name is Stragint in the game. I will be on in 3 or 4 hours.

I sent you an invite, don't know if it'll work while you're not online. Let me know if it does work, if so it'll be a lot easier to get other folks in.

• Options
    Does not look like I got your friend request

• Options
    edited April 2016
    So the bug fix patch we've been waiting for finally arrived today. It's too bad it took them until Friday to get it out (and that it happens to be April 1st), but given how long this list is I guess it makes sense. Definitely the least hilarious patch notes you will read today:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-april-1-2016.56713/

Mostly just a long list of "not broken any more", but a couple of things are notable.

- They have diminishing returns on lumens received as you perform the same activities over and over to prevent exploitable farming. However, they want feedback on this. They don't intend it to feel bad to a normal player, so if you do have a bad time, let them know.
    - "Due to the significant changes in costs and drop rates of items, we have determined that we WILL need to do another character wipe (as well as build site wipe) on launch day"

I'm okay with that, but it decreases my incentive to go out and improve my equipment right now. They said recipes should drop more, though, so I'm still probably going to go out at least some to see what I can get. I need more monsters!

Kylindra on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Did they ever make it so you can easily make circles and spheres?

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

Not sure what the context of your question is. You could always change the shape of the add/delete tool to a sphere, albeit only for certain sizes (due to the inherent limitations of the voxels). And there's templates available with all kinds of different sizes of arcs and so forth. Is there a particular shape you were unable to get?

• Options
    I am somewhat unhappy with the size limits for spheres. I want to make a multi leveled dungeon in a sphere but I cannot make one large enough.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kylindra wrote: »

Not sure what the context of your question is. You could always change the shape of the add/delete tool to a sphere, albeit only for certain sizes (due to the inherent limitations of the voxels). And there's templates available with all kinds of different sizes of arcs and so forth. Is there a particular shape you were unable to get?

I just remember it being very difficult to make a circle (or maybe it was a triangle?) where cubes were just a simple click of the button

edit: it was triangles, not circles

whoops!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Attention Trailblazers! It's time to claim your credit for supporting the game and decide how you want your name to appear in the credits (you can use your real name, character name, whatever):

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/trailblazers-it’s-time-to-get-your-name-in-the-credits.56854/

• Options
    Snap, I do not know what to put. Do I use my real name? Gaming name? Bother?

I wonder if there will be a dickbutts.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm. I think at this point I have like 30 accounts with various Sony crap and apparently I can't remember which one had my Landmark account.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    So I finished my starter project!

Are you ready to face....Fluffy?
    0fthD0V.jpg
    You're probably totally ready to face Fluffy, he's not that bad.

The encounter begins when you walk in the arena and the entrance slams shut behind you. As you walk toward the chest resting on a grate above a lava pit, you may notice the bones sitting in the corner....
    If you click the chest, the exit closes and the lava erupts into flames. Bob the skeleton appears to fight you. If you defeat Bob, Lenny the lizardman will be next, followed by Mr. and Mrs. Bones, the skeletal archers. Finally, Fluffy appears. If you vanquish Fluffy, the flames die down and the exit finally opens.

While building this I learned a lot about the new controls. Setting claim time, setting trigger areas, hiding those areas, linking and triggering, using timer and logic gate scripting props.....lots of good stuff, which was the point of doing the project. I think I know enough now to start something more ambitious.

If you need help understanding how any of those elements work (automatic doors, logic gates, timers) let me know, I can help now! :)

Edit: If you want to play though my adventure, search for Sage's Mountaintop Arena. Should be listed under Dungeon and Combat. :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    edit: it was triangles, not circles

whoops!

I found triangles for you! There's templates for triangles of all sizes, available to everyone for free. Shown here are the triangles sizes 1-50. There's another template of 50-100 but I didn't have room to put it down next to my arena. :)

O3Krs0O.jpg

• Options
    Minor patch today:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-april-13-2016.56901/

Notable items from the longer list:
    • Gallery can now be searched based on all three of the tag drop-downs, as well as key words in the Site name. Please note: this means that all build site after this update will need to be re-listed on the Gallery before they show up again
    • Durability has been implemented for weapons, armor, and harvesting tools. These items start with a condition (on their tooltip) of 100%. For equipped weapons and armor, condition is lost when the player takes damage or dies. For equipped harvesting tools, condition is lost when the tool is used to harvest. When an item reaches 0% condition it will break, and have limited functionality. All items with a condition stat can be repaired with small amounts of lumens at the new Repair Station, a prop available under the Storage & Crafting prop category.
    • Lost Crystals have a new, gloriously glowy interaction effect and animation! You must now channel power from the Lost Crystal for 10 seconds to unlock your reward, and taking any damage during this effect will interrupt it
    • Script objects are now in a category called “Story Tools” found under “Special Effects”, along with emitters and switches
    • Spirit Anchors are no longer an item you need to remember to keep crafting, the “Revive Now” option now simply takes Lumens directly
    • Fixed a bug that was unintentionally limiting characters to 120 lumens per day
    • Loot should no longer get stuck in props

That last one, if true, will be nice. That bug has existed for ages now. The "props" in question are usually terrain objects like rocks that you can't move or do anything with since your'e in the wild. So you'll be mining under a rock and a chunk of mineral would get lodged in the rock with no way of retrieving it......very annoying. Hopefully this patch really does fix it.

The durability thing......I don't know. Sounds kind of silly. I guess it's to give death consequences, which was an early promise of theirs? Meh.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Holy cow, almost missed these amazing patch notes while busy playing other games!

Major patch: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-26-april-2016.56999/
    Minor fix: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/hotfix-notes-29-april-2016.57023/

Story Stuff:
    They added the ability to have NPCs speak text (not out loud, obviously, but in either chat bubbles or the chat log or in floating text). They also added the ability to change an NPC's faction on the fly (like initially friendly then hostile after you do something, or hostile but then friendly after something happens). AND they added the ability to give NPCs emotes and moods! You can have them look happy or angry, or have them dance, or cheer, or kneel.

I can't wait to make a lizard-man dance party complete with chanted lyrics!

Example of story (warning, text bubbles are tiny but worth reading as they are very interesting, if you can't read them I've spoilered them below):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPMEhO52X9w

Video Spoiler:
    Jonesness: Hey Matilda! MATILDA!
    Matilda: What is it Jonesness? I'm on watch duty.
    Jonesness (laughing): Hey, take it easy, I just wanted to tell you the rumor that I heard.
    Matilda: (shaking head no) I don't have time for your gossip, Jonesness. Leave me alone, I need to get back to my post.
    Jonesness: Right, right right. I just heard a rumor that those Scalewinfd over there have some strange affinity for humans. Weird huh? If I were a human, I would certainly be interested in investigating that...
    [Player character walks over to Scalewind guys]
    [Scalewind guys kneel before the player]
    [Player backs away slowly]
    Scalewind (in unison): Wait, you can't leave us! We can't let you leave us!
    [Scalewind turn hostile and attack the Player]

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    oh
    my
    god

I am so buying this. I am SO BUYING THIS. IT IS LITERALLY AN MMO DEVKIT THINGY? I COULD MAKE STUPID STORIES. OH MY GOD.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    So,..this is happening!

Announcement:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/landmark/index.php?threads/landmark-launches-june-10th.57192/

Landmark will officially launch on Friday, June 10th! The Trailblazer Head Start is scheduled for Wednesday, June 8th at 10AM Pacific.