As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Which I Realize I Am Getting Old, And You Do Too.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    29 is gonna be a big year for me, that's when my brother died. Thirteen years by then. (Jesus, has it been that long?) It's so weird to think I'll have outlived him. He died when I was sixteen. He always seemed like such an Adult to me, you know? Which is even weirder when I really analyze it, cause I've done way more than he ever did. Moved the fuck out of Texas and my parent's house. Got married. Never knocked up some chick and had to beg my mom to pay for the abortion. Never got into a fistfight with my dad! Had so much gay sex. If he ever touched a winger in his life I'd be mighty surprised.

But still. I had such an absentee father and my brother was so much older than me that he basically raised me. He was a miserable son of a bitch who I hated more than I loved, but I can't deny I don't miss the good parts. I'd be terrified to know what he'd think of me now, though. (Even though I'm positive I know what he'd say.) He'd look at my totally sweet tits, call me a faggot, and never talk to me again.
    I'd take the tits over him any day though. The son of a bitch.

I could tell a story or two about my father.

He's still around though, so every couple years or so I get a new story to add to the compilation.

Don't hear much about him these days though, since he's basically chased away the entire family.

It's kind of what happens when you spend most of your life being a miserable piece of shit to everyone that cares about you.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I hate how in my family the few good ones have all gone somewhat young, all the old bastards who were stains and abusers on the family, still kickin into their 90's

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    You wanna talk about haggard people, come and hang out in Australia. That hole in the ozone layer means we get nailed by the sun. It's like a bunch of walking leather handbags down here

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I've been 33 for a month. And every day, at some point, I think "I'm as old as Jesus was when he was killed."
    I'm scrounging in my fridge for breakfast that's not last night's pizza, thinking "Loaves and fishes, yo."
    I'm waiting for the bus to work in the rain, thinking "Calming the storm at the Sea of Galilee, yo."
    I'm preparing a shitty power point about cable equipment, thinking "Sermon on the mount, yo."

It doesn't stop. I tried to find some other person whose accomplishments I stacked up to a little better, and found out that I'm also the same age Chris Farley was when he died. And that was super fucking depressing, because I was 16 when that happened. Chris Farley would be 50 this year, and he'd be amazing.

Could be worse... could still be 31, which was the age my own father was when he died. Farley and Jesus are at least a little abstract for me. I'm looking forward to 34... none of the names I'm seeing on the 34 lists are particularly resonant, so maybe I can take a break for that year.

Alan Rickman didn't start acting til 36!

This makes me feel way better about having started at 26

and also about life at 26 in general

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I kinda feel like I'm being guilted about not wanting to have sex as often as my partner.

It's really ruining my day. I guess I should do the grown up thing and talk to them about it.

WheatBun01 on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    open and honest communication is almost always the way to go

my partner and I were going through a similar thing (actually, pretty much still are) and if we hadn't sat down and seriously discussed it, we'd be much worse off and possibly no longer together

f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    And it's definitely a two-way street in being respectful of each other while talking about it. You feeling guilty about not having sex is not going to get your motors revving.

Unless you get turned on by guilt.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I kinda feel like I'm being guilted about not wanting to have sex as often as my partner.

It's really ruining my day. I guess I should do the grown up thing and talk to them about it.

Yes, do this. Your partner trying to guilt you into sex is p skeevy, regardless of gender.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    The situation as far as I can tell is that she has some self esteem problems, and when I'm not really making advances or reciprocating hers, she gets really upset and decides I must not find her sexually attractive anymore, and becomes really quiet and withdrawn for the rest of the night, and I've been having sex more even when I'm not super in the mood just so that won't happen.

But last night I realized I was starting to get resentful about it, so yeah, I'll need to have that talk. I don't know any good way to say "bad things happened to me when I was younger and sometimes sex is just the last thing on my mind for a while", so I'll just go with that.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Blake T wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Things I learned today: Never cross The Hanged Man
    I, I don't think that kid even crossed him?

Pretty much, yeah. It was easily the most evil thing I've ever deliberately done to another person (and beats all the accidental evil that I'm aware of). I think I was just pissed that this kid who I recognized from school clearly didn't also recognize me. I had pretty big self-esteem issues, as is typical for that age group, and feeling invisible to my peer group was a major source of angst. In all honesty, I was the kind of fucked up kid who could have gone pretty seriously bad, if my parents were less on top of things. 100% of my modern reminiscing on the ages of 14 to 17 is me going "What the hell, dude. What. The. Hell."

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    The situation as far as I can tell is that she has some self esteem problems, and when I'm not really making advances or reciprocating hers, she gets really upset and decides I must not find her sexually attractive anymore, and becomes really quiet and withdrawn for the rest of the night, and I've been having sex more even when I'm not super in the mood just so that won't happen.

But last night I realized I was starting to get resentful about it, so yeah, I'll need to have that talk. I don't know any good way to say "bad things happened to me when I was younger and sometimes sex is just the last thing on my mind for a while", so I'll just go with that.

This is something that I have dealt with a lot and I have a lot of sympathy for your situation.

Something that you both should talk about are other ways that you can help reassure her without actually having sex. Because if you keep having sex when you don't actually want to it is going to really damage your relationship and how you view sex.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

"Bad things happened to me when I was younger and sometimes sex is just the last thing on my mind for a while" is a super polite. You're a kinder man than I am; if it were me I'd just say "I don't want to" and leave it at that, partner grumpiness be damned.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I saw two therapists yesterday.

The first lady was super nice, but also very oldschool, and verrrry out of touch. I mentioned my HSA card and she had no idea what that was.

The second person, a guy, was actually really cool, super nice, and the conversation was casual enough to where I felt comfortable, but not so casual where I felt like I wasn't discussing anything important. May go with him, but I'll at least wait till I see a lady today to really decide.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Fuck diamonds fuckdiamond companies and fuck that somehow diamonds that are lab created are worse somehow

Bullshit

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Things I learned today: Never cross The Hanged Man
    I, I don't think that kid even crossed him?

Exactly!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Fuck diamonds fuckdiamond companies and fuck that somehow diamonds that are lab created are worse somehow

Bullshit

wait what how does that work

my dream of growing a diamond house/car/robot body...

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Bullshit

Moissanites!

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular

Bullshit

Moissanites!

But diamonds are traditional and what g f stf xxxh vs t be for vs glycerin g bc fj get

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Guys I think Zen is having a seizure

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Bullshit

Maybe he meant that a lot of people think lab created diamonds are less prestigious? Lab created diamonds not being "real" diamonds is certainly a sentiment I've heard more than once.

Man I hate being around rich people.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

Bullshit

wait, how are they worse?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »

Bullshit

They lack pedigree.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options

Bullshit

They lack pedigree.

you lack pedigree

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, shit!

I mean:

Old Money can't stand the Nouveau Rock

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Bullshit

Moissanites!

That's what the Future Mrs Rhesus is wearing right now.

Only one person has asked if it's real, and she's an annoying person in general so it's what I was expecting. Everybody else has either been "Oooh, sparkly" or focussed on the actually important thing which is that we're getting married and it's going to be awesome.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I was getting quite annoyed earlier when a couple of teenage guys were chatting about hot girls on tinder in the silent area of the library. I'm old and grumpy.

On a happy note we had to do some diagnostics for maths, the teacher was talking to us like we were idiots because it's a lot of mature students who haven't been in education. Until my results said I was at degree level maths. Then they looked scared. Massive smug face over here.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Bullshit

Moissanites!

That's what the Future Mrs Rhesus is wearing right now.

Only one person has asked if it's real, and she's an annoying person in general so it's what I was expecting. Everybody else has either been "Oooh, sparkly" or focussed on the actually important thing which is that we're getting married and it's going to be awesome.

Sure, you could have bought some rock that was dug out of the dirt in abominable conditions by what basically amounts to slaves, or you could get a precious stone that was forged in the image of a SPACE GEM by a high tech lab!

• Options

Bullshit

They lack pedigree.

you lack pedigree

I got more pedigree than PetSmart and HHH combined :smirk:

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    oh, I thought worse as in, you know, ethically. not worse as in subjective value. fuck subjective value, you can't eat off a diamond ring or drive that shit to the beach

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Nah, Moissanites are lab made. Based on a rock that fell from the sky, is a 9.75 on the Mohs hardness scale, and has MORE colour and fire than a diamond, due to being double-refractive.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »

Bullshit

Maybe he meant that a lot of people think lab created diamonds are less prestigious? Lab created diamonds not being "real" diamonds is certainly a sentiment I've heard more than once.

This isn't even a rich sentiment but yes this

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

So, this is something that I can super duper relate to from both sides, actually. If you want you can PM me and I'll tell you all about it, but at one point or another in my life I have been both of you, and sometimes both at once which is pretty much the opposite of any kind of fun in any way because when you're both at once there is no way to win that.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options

Bullshit

Yeah, you have to buy a diamond that was pulled from the Earth or else you are the very most terribad prospective husband ever, apparently. I'm glad my future wife is as cool as Mrs Rhesus Positive and doesn't go in for that malarkey.

• Options

Bullshit

Yeah, you have to buy a diamond that was pulled from the Earth or else you are the very most terribad prospective husband ever, apparently. I'm glad my future wife is as cool as Mrs Rhesus Positive and doesn't go in for that malarkey.

I've asked why it matters and all I ever get is that it just matters to her

Which is fine but I just don't get it

• Options
    Weddings are such personal things to everybody, and there can be decades of expectations at play.

Shit doesn't have to make sense.

Just get her the nicest diamond you can afford, sourced from a mine with a good reputation like Argyle, and go on with your other business.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I used to really hate diamonds and then I really didn't and now I'm just like eh.

I have a diamond and I still love it, but at this point in my life if the situation came up again I would choose something else.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Weddings are such personal things to everybody, and there can be decades of expectations at play.

Shit doesn't have to make sense.

Just get her the nicest diamond you can afford, sourced from a mine with a good reputation like Argyle, and go on with your other business.

No doubt

I aint mad but fuck deberes marketing

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm feeling older than I ever have. I'm headed to my 44th birthday in March. My 62 year old father just passed and I'm staring down a few decades of taking care of my mom now, and living with her.

As long as he was alive, I could keep to the fiction that I might move out one day, but in the last few years, I knew that wasn't going to happen. My job sucks, and it doesn't look to improve and I live in a dead-end town in the South where the big local families keep out companies that might pay more than they're willing to pay to their own workers. If I'd stayed in education, I might actually make a decent wage at this time, but this job is going nowhere. And whenever anyone brings it up, they always turn it around like it's your own fault, so it causes confidence issues on more than one level.

BUt now I have to deal with my mom, and I've just been wanting to break down every day because of what happened with my dad, even though that was three weeks ago, and I can't because she keeps doing it and I have to be strong for her. I've fought my depression before, but I strongly feel the urge just to give in a let it go this time.

I'm 43, live with my parents, am broke all the time, and have done nothing with my life. My job isn't rewarding and I have no prospects. And there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of this tunnel.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I will accept all jewels and precious gemstones.

Please deliver to PO BOX M12 345

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Aren't you in merry olde England? Shouldn't there be four or five other lines of made-up words as part of that address?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg