As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

out

janaacjanaac Registered User new member
edited August 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Deleted

janaac on

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Don't steal from your work.
    ~gavel~

Next!

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    janaac wrote: »
    Tell me what do you think I should do?

You shouldn't steal. Let this be a lesson that you can learn from, because you obviously didn't get it before.

Oh, and you're boss is an incredibly gracious person if he only fires you instead of also reporting you to the police.

• Options
    janaacjanaac Registered User new member
    Right now I want to call him and confess before my colleagues tell him about this, I just don't know how to say it

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well, first and foremost, stop stealing.

Look at what you gained and what you lost here. You gained maybe a week or two's worth of salary and will most likely lose your job. You probably won't get jail, or anything legal thrown at you if you're lucky. You also hurt yourself for the future because not many people will hire you. So you're basically starting fresh in the job market.

There's two ways you can do this. Play it off as a mistake, and probably get fired for suspected theft. Or, talk to your boss and admit what happened and tell him this is how much you stole and give it all back. Explain you were stupid and didn't know what you were thinking and your conscience got the better of you. This has the chance of you keeping your job. Be very apologetic.

Be ready to take your punishment, because what you did was really bad, seriously, if they have proof of you stealing you could get legal/criminal stuff thrown at you. It's petty crime, but enough where it might impact you.

If it were me, I'd do option 2, tell your boss, admit your mistake, tell him you take full blame and are willing to accept any punishment because you're an adult and that's what adults do, you made a terrible choice and you're truly sorry.

People are probably going to angry, or talk about you, but that is probably the best thing for you to do. If the gossipy coworker starts a rumor... oh well. Rumors happen, don't feed into it. You will be your own worst critic, and no one will remember it but you after enough time. But this is something you have to live with for the rest of your life, knowing you did those terrible things.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    You committed financial fraud, you don't deserve the job.

Call your boss, but preferably go in person. Don't bullshit him. Don't tell him that you only did it for two days. If he's not wholly incompetent, he's going to go back months to check every invoice you did to see whether they were fraudulent as welel. Don't go into the conversation expecting or hoping to keep your job. Give him the money back before he even has a chance to ask for it.

If you're lucky, he fires you. 250 pounds probably isn't enough for criminal charges, but don't be surprised if he wants to take you to small claims court if you don't repay it.

IANAL: You can plead with him not to tell anyone, but according to https://www.gov.uk/work-reference there's nothing legally which stops the owner from giving bad references as long as it's accurate.

Summary:
    1. Go in person.
    2. Apologise profusely.
    3. Don't bullshit him. Tell him exactly how much you stole from him.
    4. Bring the money to repay him back with you.
    5. Tell him you'll never even go into his shop again.
    6. Beg him not to tell anyone.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    It doesn't sound to me that you regret what you did, other than the fact it'll get you fired, screw you over on some convenient employment options, and might get you into trouble. I'm not sure what your best course of action here is, but you should probably reflect on what has transpired, and see if there is more to this than how it inconveniences you.

If you're being taped you can probably bet the tapes will be gone over after you are reported. And your extraneous dicking around with the register will probably be seen as suspect. Lying your way out of it simply won't work if they have tape. If you are going to come clean then come clean completely.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Be 100% honest.

They're going to scour their books to look for lost money the second they find out about this, so they'll know exactly how much was taken anyway.

You're out a job, but if you're lucky they might not call the police.

And don't steal.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    if you are looking for advice on how to get punished the least, i fear you have come to the wrong place.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Do you have a sick grandma that desperately needs money for her medical treatment? If not, first you need to hire an elderly woman to pretend to be your grandma, and then next *whisperwhisperwhisper*

Yea man, you're boned. I suggest when you confess you also return all the money you've stolen. And beg. I hope you're good at crying without looking like a dick.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    It doesn't sound to me that you regret what you did

I agree with this. Your entire post basically comes down to this:
    "Help, someone probably caught me stealing, how do I make sure I get away with it, or at least make it less problematic for me?"

The answer is, you don't. You might be able to con them and get away with it more, but unless you have a damned good reason why you were taking that money (which I doubt), prepare to get fired and lose them as a reference for any future employer as well as them telling others they know not to hire you.

You did something bad. You should feel bad for doing that, not just because you got caught.

In the future, don't steal. If you are in a position bad enough to need money so desperately that you steal it, talk to your boss about getting some money in advance, etc. But realize that means real emergencies. Not because you spent all your cash on stupid stuff, or have something you really want to buy, etc.

For this situation. Get in touch with the boss as others stated. Say you were dumb, were not thinking. APOLOGIZE greatly, and absolutely have as much of the money you took as you can get together to pay him back.

I wouldn't even ask him to not tell anyone. It makes you look even worse, and even more selfish than you already seem to be. Just apologize, say how dumb you were (which you absolutely were), and that you will accept whatever judgement he wants.

If lucky you might keep your job long enough to pay back what you owe. If REALLY lucky and you have actually learned your lesson here, you might even keep it.

But I'd expect to be out a job along with the money you owe him. It's well within his rights to try and get that back via whatever legal options he has available there.

And in case its not obvious enough. I stress sitting back and thinking on this. Why did you do it? What possible reason did you have? Do you feel you deserved more money? Did you just think they were too stupid or you too smart to get caught? Whatever the reason, toss it ASAP. If you want to make more money, then earn it. If that job won't do it, then you can quit and go to another one. No one owes you a good paying position, you have to go out and get one.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Furthermore, calling to frantically beg him not to tell anyone isn't going to help your case. It could actually damage it, as you'll be asking someone who is already currently mad at you, and justifiably so for a favor that they have no obligation or inclination to fulfill.

If your life would be this damaged by doing a thing, why would you do that thing?

• Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    Your boss isn't going to trust you that you only did it twice, when you already are clearly a liar and a thief. If he does, he's even dumber than you seem to be (you not only regularly stole, but did it on camera? Wow.) I wouldn't bank on him being that brain dead.

Come clean, return the full amount you stole, and expect he will fire you. If he doesn't file a police report, that will be a blessing, and if he doesn't fire you, he's nuts but you'll be the luckiest person alive.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Holler wrote: »
    Your boss isn't going to trust you that you only did it twice, when you already are clearly a liar and a thief. If he does, he's even dumber than you seem to be (you not only regularly stole, but did it on camera? Wow.) I wouldn't bank on him being that brain dead.

Come clean, return the full amount you stole, and expect he will fire you. If he doesn't file a police report, that will be a blessing, and if he doesn't fire you, he's nuts but you'll be the luckiest person alive.

Not only did he steal repeatedly on camera he posted on the internet admitting in detail to his crime.

This discussion has been closed.