As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I don't have a lot of male friends...

DrezDrez Registered User regular
The general reasons for this are a whole ball of wax unto itself, but I was just reminded of one of the reasons.

My supposed friend is berating me in a rather obnoxious way because I don't want to go to Happy Hour tonight. I feel like shit and want to go home and rest. Apparently this makes me an "asshole" among other, some even worse, things.

I'm sure this is just "good natured" alpha male ribbing on his part but it irritates the fuck out of me. And I would come out and say so but he's pretty cool most of the time and I know I can be a bit intolerant and distance myself from guys when they start in on their aggressive bullshit. Plus I think it's healthy to have friends that are the same gender as you that you can hang with. I'm a dude and my female to male friend ratio is like 9:1 or some shit.

So how do I tell him to STFU without alienating him?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Are you reading too much into it, or does he sound angry when he calls you an asshole? He's probably just messing around with you like guy friends will do. Just tell him that you don't feel like going out tonight, and offer to hang out this weekend or something.

Edit: The guy I work with is sorta my friend, and he'll say stuff like "Breaking Bad is thr worst" even though he's never seen the show. So I tell him all the time how dumb he is, but it's just playing around type of stuff. I'm guessing that's what your friend is doing to you.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I'm sure it is him just joking around. It's less him calling me an asshole (I am kind of an asshole) and more that "I feel like someone kicked me down a stairwell" doesn't seem to matter.

But I guess that's how guys are.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    this person is sad you aren't coming to happy hour. if you can't take people teasing you, don't hang out with people that tease you?

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    It's not about being teased. I'm just tired and don't want to have to defend not drinking for one damned day.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Tell him just that and to stop being an asshole.

• Options
    Yeah I guess.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm sure this is just "good natured" alpha male ribbing on his part but it irritates the fuck out of me. And I would come out and say so but he's pretty cool most of the time and I know I can be a bit intolerant and distance myself from guys when they start in on their aggressive bullshit.

I do not know the particulars of your situation, or any of their balls of wax. So, maybe there is some particular quality to your friendship that would complicate things.

But if he's pretty cool most of the time, then you can likely just tell him.

Male friendships are usually not that complicated.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    I tease my friends all the time. I'm a very typical male in that regard. It's just a habit that began as a little kid and continued into adulthood. There are times when I take it too far and a friend gets annoyed and then I feel bad about it and lay off.

Honestly though I have a really hard time dealing with people that are sensitive to the way I joke with them. When someone constantly decides to take the things I say personally, it's awful. I feel like I need to walk on egg shells around them and get really uncomfortable. That's probably because my way of communicating with them is this stupid teasing crap and I it sucks when one of my main forms of communication is rejected.

Anyways, that's not really advice, just wanted to give you another person's perspective on the problem. It doesn't mean your friend isn't annoying or immature because he very well might be. But maybe in the interest of friendship, just call him an ugly cunt before you close the door in his face.

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    Have you told him this sort of thing irritates you? If he's not a complete fuckstick, he'll scale it back. If he refuses to scale it back because "whatever man I'm just joking thats what guys do", then cut him loose and don't look back.

• Options
    Eh yeah I think I was just irritated for the moment. Was overthinking it. Wanted to vent. It's not a big deal. I already relented and will go for one drink so I'll just call him an asshole when I get there.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    come to brunch on sat, you jerk

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The general reasons for this are a whole ball of wax unto itself, but I was just reminded of one of the reasons.

My supposed friend is berating me in a rather obnoxious way because I don't want to go to Happy Hour tonight. I feel like shit and want to go home and rest. Apparently this makes me an "asshole" among other, some even worse, things.

I'm sure this is just "good natured" alpha male ribbing on his part but it irritates the fuck out of me. And I would come out and say so but he's pretty cool most of the time and I know I can be a bit intolerant and distance myself from guys when they start in on their aggressive bullshit. Plus I think it's healthy to have friends that are the same gender as you that you can hang with. I'm a dude and my female to male friend ratio is like 9:1 or some shit.

So how do I tell him to STFU without alienating him?

"hahah no fuck off I'm tired. I'll catch you later, see ya buddy"

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    V1m has the right of it. Just be positive and turn him down.

If you come off as judgmental in turning him down that could also play a bit into the aggression or hostility. Dunno if that's why he called you an asshole, but you never know. Maybe how your turned him down rubbed him the wrong way?

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »
    come to brunch on sat, you jerk

What brunch? :( I have a shoot on Sat

• Options
    Enc wrote: »

If you come off as judgmental in turning him down that could also play a bit into the aggression or hostility. Dunno if that's why he called you an asshole, but you never know. Maybe how your turned him down rubbed him the wrong way?

I called him the son of a motherless goat but that's about it. (I didn't really call him the son of a motherless goat.)

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    I struggled with this for a long time, and my final answer when friends are ribbing me is, "Dude, I get it, you'll miss me and you love me. Seriously, I don't want to go tonight, I'm not feeling it, and that's it! If you knock it off, I'll make plans to get a drink with you later this week."

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Maybe we're all secretly intimidated by you. That being said, people kind of suck in general and I find good people transcend gender. Then again, I have very few friends of either gender so maybe I'm not the best at advice.

Oh god I'm so alone.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

I called him the son of a motherless goat but that's about it. (I didn't really call him the son of a motherless goat.)

"I'm tired from bangin' your mom. You know what that's like, right?"

As said above, some people are just stuck in that mode with friends but if they're not actual jerks, they'll try to scale it back with you if you say something.