As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Fucking Thread About the 2016 Elections, Seriously, What the Hell, I Don't Even

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Bush is Bush is Bush.

Hillary is going to draw talk about Bill, Jeb would draw talk about W.

The Republicans might be Bush-positive enough to put him in the general, but being related to the worst thought of president in living memory is a deathknell in the general.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    BTW, any thoughts Cuomo ever had of going after the Democratic nomination are dead
    Whenever he’s been asked about his involvement in the creation of the controlling Republican-Independent Democratic coalition, [New York Gov. Andrew] Cuomo has shrugged and suggested that it’s not the governor’s place to get involved in that sort of thing [...]

But now, multiple sources with deep knowledge of the IDC and Republican conferences’ dealings confirm that in fact the governor was not a passive player in the formation of the coalition. He was “deeply involved,” they say, and “absolutely” encouraged the marriage that allowed the Republicans to remain in leadership even after the election of a Democratic majority. Furthermore, they say, the governor was a key player after the coalition launched, privately offering advice about tactics and messaging.
    http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2014/09/8551681/another-cuomo-noninterference-story-falls-apart

Good riddance.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think the loathing for W. is only waning because he's keeping hidden

Putting another Bush up will bring it back

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    There's no way. The name Bush is too politically charged, even now. They've had 6 years to soften his image and he's still deeply unpopular. And Jeb lacks the charisma of his brother.

Jeb Bush is general election easy mode for Democrats.

Doubt it.

Jeb Bush is one of the few Republicans who could win, in all but name (and I'm not so sure that would stop him, either).

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

He's keeping hidden because he's respectful of the office, just like every President is in the terms after theirs.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    A Clinton Bush election would be soul crushing.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    BTW I don't know anything about Jeb Bush except a vague sense that he and GW never got on well.

I wonder if some overt "hey, he's my brother and to be honest I've kinda never liked him either." stuff would nullify the bad taste. A general election that is entirely "will he be like his brother?" is far better for the GOP than the alternatives, because the answer will probably be "nope, not at all". A few policy differences, a story about one time when they were kids and he punched GW in the nose like I bet some of you in the crowd wanted to, heh heh heh *applause laughter*

idk

It might be a thing that will work. Hillary is... not the best campaigner, and leaning on her husband to be the sparkle in the campaign is going to create a lot of sexist undertow.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    BTW I don't know anything about Jeb Bush except a vague sense that he and GW never got on well.

I wonder if some overt "hey, he's my brother and to be honest I've kinda never liked him" stuff would nullify the bad taste. A general election that is entirely "will he be like his brother?" is far better for the GOP than the alternatives, because the answer will probably be "nope, not at all". A few policy differences, a story about one time when they were kids and he punched GW in the nose like I bet some of you in the crowd wanted to, heh heh heh *applause laughter*

idk

It might be a thing that will work. Hillary is... not the best campaigner, and leaning on her husband to be the sparkle in the campaign is going to create a lot of sexist undertow.

He's the smarter one Daddy Bush wanted to be president.

• Options

He's keeping hidden because he's respectful of the office, just like every President is in the terms after theirs.

Too bad Bush didn't think about doing that when he was in office. :(

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Jeb is more like GHWB than GWB

Which is the better side of that scale to be on, for sure

I just don't trust he's not surrounded by the same people that are highly responsible for Bush's Presidency being such a disaster

Which is similar to problems I have with Obama's administration and what would potentially be Hillary's

A lot of the same people making bad decisions

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My rundown

Rand Paul: Will definitely run but has way too thin a skin to standup to the primaries without having a critical meltdown
    Rubio: Supported immigration reform. Toast
    Cruz: Clowncar candidate who will drop out after getting 2% in Iowa
    Jeb Bush: Doesn't seem to want it. Name is a gigantic albatross the rest of the GOP does not want.
    Perry: Doubt he'll run now
    Christie: Depends on where the investigation is in a year.

• Options

Wish Cheney and Rove had the same respect. they won't shut up for 5 minutes

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    My rundown

By Iowa, you mean New Hampshire. The Iowa Republican caucus loves the crazy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Rove's lost his touch. I'm glad he didn't so we had the scene on Fox News where he imploded when Obama won.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I'm of two minds on that one. GW was always big on stressing formalities, e.g. the "shirt and tie" rule so many GOP'ers gushed about when he took office, but you're crazy if you don't think at least part of his absence from public life is because of how massive a failure his administration ended up being. But I give Bush credit for also realizing how polarizing any comment from a sitting or ex-president can be, and laud his discipline in staying away from punditry and I told ya so's.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Tammy Duckworth? Will they call her up to the big leagues soon? I imagine she'll be in the discussion in 2018 for 2020.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I wish people would let first term Senators and Congresscritters finish their first couple go rounds before trying to pull them out of Congress.

They can do more good and build more relationships for a future run there.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I wish people would let first term Senators and Congresscritters finish their first couple go rounds before trying to pull them out of Congress.

It's the brass ring issue - everyone focuses on the Executive, and ignores the other two branches.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Unfortunately, we've lost a lot of Governors/they keep shooting themselves in the foot. Or they're unpalatable for the national party (Beshear).

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Unfortunately, we've lost a lot of Governors/they keep shooting themselves in the foot. Or they're unpalatable for the national party (Beshear).

Charmin' Charlie'll be looking for a job.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    If Hilary wins, this will be the first time in history that two presidents have had sex with eachother.
    I look forward to the actors/actresses that run for office. Still bummed Gary Coleman never made it to office.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    If Hilary wins, this will be the first time in history that two presidents have had sex with eachother.

...that we know of.

• Options
    edited September 2014

So Clinton isn't respectful of the office?

override367 on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    I look forward to the actors/actresses that run for office. Still bummed Gary Coleman never made it to office.

This is not verifiable. One could conceivably make the claim it is possible previous presidents have indeed had sexual relations with one another.

The world may never know.

Edit: Kamar was too quick for me.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

So Clinton isn't respectful of the office?

Didn't hear much from Bill during the brunt of GW's presidency.

• Options
    he founded the clinton global initiative like immediately after he left office

• Options
    That's not really respecting or disrespecting the office of the president though.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    He got more vocal during Hillary's run but it's kind of hard for him not to be when he's married to the candidate. It'd be weird for the potential president's spouse to not be involved.

Quid on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    MAD DISRESPECT.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm sure everyone has shipped a JFK/LBJ bangfest

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i'm sure everyone has shipped a JFK/LBJ bangfest

Get out of my head.

• Options
    My rundown

By Iowa, you mean New Hampshire. The Iowa Republican caucus loves the crazy.

He's the Bachmann of this race. no money will back him sine the party thinks he's a moron. Paul will steal the crazy vote

• Options

Rove's lost his touch. I'm glad he didn't so we had the scene on Fox News where he imploded when Obama won.

I think Rove having a touch is a myth honestly. He had one dirty trick to get rid of McCain in 2000 but other than that Bush was an easy nomination and a fairly easy election since Gore was so bad at campaigning

• Options
    permanent republican majorities

for six years

• Options
    permanent republican majorities

for six years

and all it cost them was ruining the GOP for a generation

seriously something they never mention is that to someone under 35 the GOp is the bunch that sent tons of their friends to get injured or killed in Iraq for nothing. That's not a wound that will heal soon.

• Options
    That's not really respecting or disrespecting the office of the president though.

I agree, which is why I took issue with Spool's phrasing

It's only disrespectful if you're armchair generaling the new president, and not every president disappears from public life

• Options

I agree, which is why I took issue with Spool's phrasing

It's only disrespectful if you're armchair generaling the new president, and not every president disappears from public life

I agree with that, however, it is nice that GWB hasn't really spoken against the current president, which is something that could have been reasonably expected from him in the environment of the GOP. Cheney couldn't stop himself, but somehow Bush was able to.

• Options
    I think the Republicans may have taken Bush's tongue

• Options
    i think he's probably quite happy making his silly paintings and not being involved anymore

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    i think he's probably quite happy making his silly paintings and not being involved anymore

Yeah. In retrospect he doesn't seem like the type of guy who really wanted to be President. And yet he was. Twice. Funny how stuff like that happens.