As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[College Football] Old thread

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2014 in Social Entropy++
This discussion was created from comments split from: [College Football] Old Thread.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Lets talk about College Football.

Old contest information under the spoiler.
    Nirya wins the contest with first place!

Because we love college football, dammit.
    J5dN4ze.jpg
    Image shamelessly stolen from the internet somewhere.

SE++ College Football Pick'em
    Run by: Syphyre

Why is this happening?
    Because we love college football! The games, the players, the drama, the schools, the colors, the pageantry, the trash-talking! And because we loathe Bama/The Irish/SEC/Ohio State/Maryland Uniforms.

Good reason! Give me the basic rundown.
    There are 15 weeks of college football (sorry Army/Navy), and thus there will be 15 weeks of pick'em. Each week there will be 11 games selected as that week's pick'ems. One of those eleven games will be chosen as "Game of the Week".

Picks will be straight up W/L. Each person playing will post their picks for all 11 games in this thread. After the weekend is over, I will check everyone's picks and calculate their points. Every correct pick gets one point. A correct pick for the Game of the Week will get 2 points. Therefore, the maximum number of points one could earn in a week is 12.

A running total of all points throughout the season will be kept. The persons with the highest point totals as the end of the season will win stuff.

How are you selecting the games?
    The games will ultimately be chosen by me, though I am always open to suggestions from the thread. As mentioned, the pick'em will be based on straight Win/Loss, not point spread or over/under. The reason behind this is because I want to select interesting games. I have no interest in guessing if Ohio State beats Buffalo by 21 or 30, however I am very interested in the outcome of Georgia vs Clemson.

To keep things interesting, I will do my absolute best to ensure each of the 6 BCS conferences (ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, and the AAC (formerly Big East)) get at least one game per week. I will also make a solid attempt to include a game that does not feature one of those 6 conferences. I will also do my best to hit each of the BCS conferences at least once for Game of the Week.

Sounds good. How does this actually work?
    Each week, by Monday Evening, I will post a list of the 11 games selected that week. Simply post, in this thread, your picks for each of those games. Please only post once; you may edit your picks as much as you want until 8am Central Time on Saturday. At that time, I will consider picks closed, and grab entries as they are. If there is a Thursday night game included, picks will be due before the game starts on Thursday evening.

Anyone can play. There is no signup sheet. Just post your picks on a weekly basis and I will do all the work of keeping track of the games and the points for each person. Weekly results and total point summaries will be posted each week, and kept in the OP. Lurkers and regulars alike are welcome to play!

You mentioned "win stuff"?
    Yes! At the end of the regular season, I will reward those with the most accumulated points.
    First Place: $50 of Steam credit.
    Second Place: $25 of Steam credit.
    Third Place: $5 of Steam credit.
    Last Place: We all laugh at you.

Everyone who plays at least 13 of 15 weeks will get a little something (TBD, it depends on how many people play.)

And yes, I will play too.

Well lets start!
    Picks are ongoing weekly! Jump in and play!

Pick'em Information
    Weekly Results
    Week 1 Games
    Week 2 Games
    Week 3 Games
    Week 4 Games
    Week 5 Games
    Week 6 Games
    Week 7 Games
    Week 8 Games

Bogey on
    FRIDAY GAME!

Week 8 Picks

Friday
    8:00pm
    UCF at Louisville (-11.5)

Louisville is favored in this game, but UCF has already knocked off Penn State this season, and came within three points of beating South Carolina. Could this be the game that derails Louisville's perfect schedule?

Saturday
    12:00
    TCU at Oklahoma State (-7)

TCU continues to show they have a great D, however their offense is terribly suspect. Oklahoma State hasn't been the power force in the conference (which is somehow Baylor), losing to West Virgina, and barely beating Kansas State.

12:00
    Texas Tech (-6.5) at West Virginia

Texas Tech has some legit wins under their belt, and is still undefeated. West Virginia boasts a 3-3 record, with some ugly losses, but also a good win against Oklahoma State.

12:00pm
    Navy at Toledo (-7)

Navy has a 3-2 record, which includes at win at Indiana, but also includes losses to WKU and Duke. Toledo is sitting at 3-3, but when two of your losses are to Florida and Missouri, that's acceptable for a MAC team.

12:21pm
    Florida (-3) at Missouri

Holy crap all of a sudden this is a HUGE game. The SEC East is wide open and interestingly Missouri is suddenly the team to beat. Florida lost a defensive battle to LSU last week, while Missouri smashed in a depleted Georgia team, at the cost of their starting QB. The backup seemed to do just fine in the 4th, putting the final
    nail in the coffin last week, so that may not be much of an issue. If Florida doesn't find some offense, this might not be much of a game.

3:30pm
    BYU (-10) at Houston
    Cougar Fight! You might have heard of BYU. They beat Texas. They also just beat Georgia Tech. Sure they lost to Utah, but so did Stanford. Houston is 5-0. Granted they're in CUSA, but you know, they're 5-0.

Maryland (-7) at Wake Forest

Guess who has a 5-1 record. Did you guess Maryland? Their only loss is to Florida State, and while they haven't really dug into the meat of their ACC schedule, 5-1 is 5-1. Wake Forest, on the other hand, could really use a pick-me-up with a 3-3 record.

UCLA at Stanford (-4.5)

This game lost a wee bit of it's luster after Stanford lost to Utah last week. Who cares, it's still a huge game. UCLA is the cream of the crop for the PAC12 south, and Stanford wants to rebound from its loss last week. Enjoy.

6:00pm
    Washington at Arizona State (-3)

Both of these teams lost their games last week to Oregon and Notre Dame respectively. Both are decent teams and want to get back on their legs. This should be a good interesting game.

7:30pm
    USC at Notre Dame (-3)

Even if the spread was -21, I'd have to include this game because, well, it's USC at Notre Dame. As it is, USC has some new life with it's new (interim) head coach. Notre Dame has a couple of losses and want to avoid any more if it hopes to have a good bowl game this season.

8:00pm
    Florida State (-3) at Clemson

Damn I'm excited. Florida state looks amazing, and Clemson overcame a first half brain-shock to win last week. The two best teams in the ACC butt heads in what might be the best game of the weekend. Lets have some fun.

Copy/Paste for Picks
    Week 8
    UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Texas Tech at West Virginia
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    Washington at Arizona State
    USC at Notre Dame
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    USC at Notre Dame
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I want to keep talking about the guy who got maced for daring to stand up at a Michigan football game

Because I have gotten screamed at for standing up at a Michigan football game and it's just adorable

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    you mean the guy who got maced for being violent and disorderly at a Penn State game?

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Guys UCLA is ranked in the top 10 ahhhhhhhh

Also I'm going to the UCLA/Stanford game this week AHHHHHHHHHHH!

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    SyphyreBogeyRehabBobble
    you mean the guy who got maced for being violent and disorderly at a Penn State game?

The drunk guy who got the cops called on him for standing up, yes

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    I heard he was getting into altercations with other fans, which is why the police were called.

At any rate, he was probably very happy that he didn't see what happened next

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I certainly wasn't there... but standing is sort of the norm in Beaver stadium. Like, I can't imagine someone getting super mad just because someone stood up. I have been there for a LOT of games and am always standing. And so are the opposing fans.

I've noticed it's a B1G thing for people to sit down the whole game, and it's always been super weird to me coming from the SEC where standing drunken belligerence is the norm, so when I saw this story I just laughed

I'm sure he was being a dick in a variety of obnoxious ways but the fact that "he was standing" was listed as one of his major offenses just tickles me

One time in the Swamp I saw a girl literally throw up on someone else and then people yelled at the person who got puked on for not taking it very well

edited October 2013
    keep in mind that the B1G is football for old people

it is the Werther's caramels of football

Butler For Life #1 on
    Mulletude
    I know. I actually like it. Like, not all the time, but it is nice to have different flavors, know what I'm sayin

Butler For Life #1
    I agree. Variety is good.

After a long day of spicy SEC football, sometimes you need a nice warm glass of Michigan State vs. Iowa to lull you to sleep.

YoSoyTheWalrus
    I can also see how "Someone might actually spit in your face" may not be the most preferable in-person viewing experience for lots of people, so

I agree. Variety is good.

After a long day of spicy SEC football, sometimes you need a nice warm glass of Michigan State vs. Iowa to lull you to sleep.

You mean before.

Man, other big ten stadiums must suck. Shit for years we would stand ON the seats, let alone standing in general. I feel like my world is being rocked, this talk of sitting down throughout games.

I dunno about other student sections, but it's pretty much verboten to sit down when you're a student at Texas A&M. The only time we are allowed to sit down is when the opposing team's band is playing, and even then it's pretty iffy. Obviously the alumni section does whatever they want.

Amusing anecdote: I went to a Baylor game at Baylor back in '98 when I was a student at A&M. The student section there was mostly sitting, some standing, don't really remember. What I do remember is that when the Baylor band came out, the student section was just sitting down, but when the Aggie Band came out, everyone stood up because dammit they wanted to see the halftime performance.

I dunno, if the game isn't garbage our alum section is usually standing too, for the most part.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Week 8
    UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    USC at Notre Dame
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson

It pains me to pick ND for a win.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The student section should stand, but everyone else needs to sit the fuck down. I've got bad knees and I can't be standing for three and a half hours or sit and stand every 30 seconds. Watch with your eyes, not your legs! /oldmanrant

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Yeah, the students stand in the Big Ten stadiums I've been to, but the alums... not so much.

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    It was the same at ND stadium. The students stood the whole time in their section (except for halftime and most stayed at least for the ND band's performance before going for refreshments/restroom/etc.), the alums did not. I think that's perfectly acceptable. You aren't going to make grandpa stand on his replacement hip and bad knees and whatever for 3-4 hours.

grandpa needs to get his shit together

Maybe it's just a state of Michigan thing, both those student sections are big sitters in my experience, other B1G stadiums I've been to have been in non-student sections where sitting is regrettably acceptable

What Michigan game were you at? Unless they've gotten lame since I graduated, you'll maybe see students sit in the second half of blowouts against MAC schools.

Speaking of Michigan, TWIS.

Also speaking of Michigan: Al Borges, everybody!

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Maybe it's just a state of Michigan thing, both those student sections are big sitters in my experience, other B1G stadiums I've been to have been in non-student sections where sitting is regrettably acceptable

But who were they playing? Florida has what 5 or 6 really big matchups ever year? Most B1G schools have like 2 or 3 and half the conference is utter shit at football to begin with.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    What Michigan game were you at? Unless they've gotten lame since I graduated, you'll maybe see students sit in the second half of blowouts against MAC schools.

Speaking of Michigan, TWIS.

That is the first time I have ever seen "Meerkat Football" and I love it.

Bobble
    I consider SI decent in general, but I rather like Andy Staples.

SI.com's power rankings

Week 8

UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    USC at Notre Dame
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    At the Swamp you are expected to stand for every game in the student section. Sitting down usually gets you jeers.
    Also not putting your arm around the person next to you when they sing "We Are the Boys from Old Florida" will get you some dirty looks.
    If we don't win against Missouri I might have to start drinking.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Week 8
    UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    USC at Notre Dame
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular

Ohio State doesn't have a "non-student section" and the only 2 times when sitting becomes acceptable are: A) less than 20 minutes left against a paycheck school that is down 4+ TDs, or B) TV timeout.

Week 8

UCF at Louisville - Bortles vs. Bridgewater should be fun.
    TCU at Oklahoma State - Okay State has burned me too many times this season. They probably will again.
    Texas Tech at West Virginia - Same with WVU.
    Navy at Toledo - Because I don't know!
    Florida at Missouri - Kill Bloodchamp won't allow Mizzou to win the SEC East that easily.
    BYU at Houston - Stick with me: Houston>Memphis>Arkansas State>Troy>South Alabama>WKU>Navy>Indiana>Penn State>Syracuse>Tulane>North Texas>Ball State>Virginia>BYU! It's clear as day when you connect the dots, man!
    Maryland at Wake Forest - Wake Forest is a bad football team.
    UCLA at Stanford - Stanford will come out mad after last week.
    Washington at Arizona State - Because fuck Todd Graham.
    USC at Notre Dame - A stadium-crushing meteor is the plucky underdog here.

GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson - Dabo vs. Jimbo in the Southern-est Coach Names Battle (First Names Division).

camo_sig2.png
    OSUJumpMan wrote: »
    BYU at Houston - Stick with me: Houston>Memphis>Arkansas State>Troy>South Alabama>WKU>Navy>Indiana>Penn State>Syracuse>Tulane>North Texas>Ball State>Virginia>BYU!

Best part about this. You can tack on >Texas at the end of BYU.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    BYU at Houston - Stick with me: Houston>Memphis>Arkansas State>Troy>South Alabama>WKU>Navy>Indiana>Penn State>Syracuse>Tulane>North Texas>Ball State>Virginia>BYU!

We were cursed I tell ya! Cursed!!!

Also going to a midnight yell practice with my girlfriend few weeks back was probably the scariest thing imaginable for me as a Texas student.

Syphyre wrote: »

I thought about doing just that. But I was so proud of the amount of work on my desk that I ignored to get that done I didn't want to lose the thread entirely.

camo_sig2.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Guys UCLA is ranked in the top 10 ahhhhhhhh

Also I'm going to the UCLA/Stanford game this week AHHHHHHHHHHH!

I had to give that a "bro?" but really that is more fuck yeah bro!

NNID: Rehab0
    Also, as a weird side-note/meta-commentary, BYU is never more than 2 or 3 steps away from beating themselves anywhere in that chain.

camo_sig2.png
    BTW, if any of y'all enjoy Michigan schadenfreude and TWIS didn't provide enough, just read the front page of mgoblog this week. If you REALLY enjoy it, go into the forum. Wherein everyone hates everything, but especially Al Borges. If you just want a taste, read me in the D&D thread.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Week 8
    UCF at Louisville - Closer than anyone thought preseason, but hey.
    TCU at Oklahoma State - I still like TCU for some reason. OSU's performance against WVU is...problematic.
    Texas Tech at West Virginia - See above.
    Navy at Toledo - Navy is not very good this year.
    Florida at Missouri - If Mizzou still had Franklin, this would be tempting. Florida continues to play boring, nasty football.
    BYU at Houston - Things have gone downhill fast for Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest - Wake suuuuucks
    UCLA at Stanford - I don't know what happened at Utah, but Stanford is still pretty good.
    Washington at Arizona State - Still think UW is pretty good. ASU is at the top of the mid-tier of the Pac-12, though.
    USC at Notre Dame - I want to believe in Coach O for the entertainment value alone, but man...
    GOTW
    Florida State at Clemson - FUCK CLEMSON (and FSU is better anyway)

Week 8
    UCF at Louisville
    TCU at Oklahoma State
    Navy at Toledo
    Florida at Missouri
    BYU at Houston
    Maryland at Wake Forest
    UCLA at Stanford
    USC at Notre Dame