As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Planetary Annihilation PA? (PAPA?)

autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machineRegistered User regular
The Game is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzglv8sLn8

http://www.uberent.com/pa/2014/09/05/planetary-annihilation-officially-launched/

Available on steam

Smash moons into planets!
rVpLqqV.jpg
Album

Not enough?

That's no moon!
ejt2Hcn.jpg

Album

So, is anyone playing or planning on playing? I played a bit during beta and plan on doing much more so now that the game is out.

Anyone else join me in smashing our celestial bodies against each other?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Basically, PA is the perfect example of how a kickstarter should run.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I picked this up when it was cheap on the steam summer sale and I play it fairly often. Don't really read the patch notes though, so I first found out about the Death Star laser in a big 5v5 with internet randos - couldn't figure out why they were freaking out so much about the enemy building these Catalyst thingies until ... yeah.
    - Oh and my name in game is, surprisingly enough, JayKaos.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'm currently not at home and don't have my laptop with me, only a tablet. I'm up for a game tomorrow though.
    I suck pretty bad though

My most memorable achievement was smashing a moon into my and my opponents base, because I underestimated that fucking moon

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The game is pretty great. I played a bit in the early gamma access but decided to wait until it was more polished to play again. I loaded it up last night and it's a lot of fun. There's still some features missing like being able to play offline, but the game is still a great time. I played on a small system with 2 planets and 1 gas giants and while I had my planet and the gas giant on lockdown, it was nearly impossible to get a foothold on the new planet. I eventually managed to send enough orbital units to harrass and keep them at bay while I sent a team of engineers over to fabricate a teleporter and then I sent my massive army over. They got wiped out but managed to dent the enemy's resources enough that I could fortify my forward base (while still pumping out units on my home planet) and keep hammering them until I had an even bigger army that I sent over and crushed them with. The mass extractors for the gas giants are new to me, and build hundreds of them and solar panels in orbit over the gas giant really helped fuel my war machine. I didn't know about the Death Star laser until I watched that trailer just now, so I know what I'm going to be trying next.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is there single player to this? I want to smash moons into things but I am not competitive against anything but the hated machines.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I need to figure out how to redeem my kickstarter thing

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I have this but the lack of saving hurts, and frankly I'm not wild about the gameplay yet. I'm used to Forged Alliance where units (even non-experimental) have staying power and don't blow up in 2 hits.

The time-to-kill is so low and I'm not about that. It plays much, much more like SC2 than Supreme Commander.

As for singleplayer, there is a dynamic-ish singleplayer campaign which is just going from skirmish game to skirmish game, as well as just normal skirmish. Keep in mind there is no saving though and all games, even ones with only AI, are hosted by their servers. I don't mind that part but the lack of saving is killing me.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    So no offline? At all? Booooooooo I want to play on planes.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Tube wrote: »
    So no offline? At all? Booooooooo I want to play on planes.

Not yet, but they're adding it soon.

edit: and there is single player, you just have to connect to their servers for it right now

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Is there single player to this? I want to smash moons into things but I am not competitive against anything but the hated machines.

There is a single player part in which you can conquer the galaxy, it seems pretty fun. Star systems get you different system upgrades as your ai opponents do the same

Can lead to silly situations like you not having mech tech and your opponent not having planes, for example

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Haven't been around in a long while (something like a year?), so I'm glad somebody's picked up and made a thread on this here when I uh... ahem... slightly neglected the previous one.

In any case, if anyone wants a good view of how the game plays at the moment, there's a really good video from PAX14 of a team game going down on the launch candidate.

The match does a really good job of showing in a nutshell what PA is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6ACTIcWZyY

subedii on
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I have this but my poor compy can't handle it.

Luckily I recently scored a well-paying job so I will proably get a new one soon.

broken image link
  • Options
    Beta was notoriously ressource hungry, I think that has gotten much much better

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg