As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is the best method for hanging a poster?

HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
Seriously, every time I hang a poster, whether I use tape, tacs, or putty, it always seems to fall down or get warped within a few months. What methods have been successful for you?

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Frame it.

• Options
    Hate to sound ignorant, but is this the sort of thing I can just go to Micheal's and buy a reasonable frame for like, $30? Or in order to get something framed well should I actually like, go to a framer?

Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If it's a standard size, you can just get the cheap stuff at walmart and that'll do an adequate job. Michael's would be a fine choice and ab upgrade certainly. A professional might be overkill unless you have things you want preserved or showcased for some reason.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    If its a standard size poster, they make frames that are the right size, its going to be a cheap black frame with thin glass over it and the poster likely will go all the way to the edges (as in it wont come with a mat) http://www.michaels.com/frames/poster-frames/809188414

Shouldn't run you more than 30 bucks unless you want something significantly nicer, but unless its like a limited edition screen print, it probably doesn't call for that.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Iruka and I are on the same wavelength here.

• Options
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    By default, I like to find a nice sturdy oak tree and let gravity and hemp take care of the rest. Specifics depend on what suhforum they frequent. If it'd a G&T megaposter like Tycho, you'll need to make sure his hypertrophied fingers (from all that typing) can't pry his neck free from the rope.

If it's an H&A type like me, we tend to ramble a bit, with correspondingly swollen neck muscles. So, again with me as an example, you'd probably want to crush my larynx before you slipped the noose over my neck.

Tychos suggestion of framing the poster for a heinous crime they didn't commit probably gets a better, safer result, but requires a much greater investment of time and money.

edit: all that said i was just in a conversation with the person who frames my art - original pieces i buy and prints. if you have something you want to preserve and showcase, a professional working with the mat and picking out a quality, complementary frame will make a big difference.

it's expensive, so it's really a question of where you are in life and how much you want to hold on to the poster you have. i didn't start getting things i cared about and wanted to keep until i was 27 or so.

if you want to DIY your own mat, etc. googling should provide here. there's a good preliminary discussion here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/189228/framing-a-poster

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1