As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread from last year....

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Welcome to our ineffable corner of the internet.

Nothing's ineffable if you're brave enough.

But seriously, I have a couple questions on Twintania:
    With 2 tanks, should we stagger killing the small adds and start burning Aslepius with 1 debuff on him at a time? What's the best way to handle that phase? Composition is PLD, WAR, WHM, SCH, MNK, DRG, SMN, BLM.

Pantry Raiders got to twisters last night! Great job, guys! I think tonight might be the night we clear T5!

It seems to me that our current strategy (which I don't think is working) is:
    DPS the 2 hygieas to 50% and switch to Asclepius while we wait for divebombs
    After divebombs, cluster all snakes and pop BLM limit break

The BLM limit break just isn't enough to kill off the fresh hygieas, and I saw more than a few runs where we had the initial snakes left with a sliver of health. I can't speak for the whole group, but I feel like we've got more than enough time between divebombs that it's virtually stress free and I have time to carefully choose my targets. I think we can get the first two hygieas down to 25%ish each before switching to asclepius. It's not like we're getting significant gains on his HP by focusing him as soon as they're at 50%.

I think maybe we picked 50% because some people early on were going overboard and killing them, but the solution isn't to leave them with more health, it's to stop attacking them entirely. No AOEs should be going out at that point anyway. The only concern is residual DOTs, but if I've got a DOT that can lop off 25% of a Hygiea's health, please tell me because I've been playing DRG wrong.

The problem on the other end is that the second set of adds aren't killed by the LB either. I feel comfortable with the amount of time between when they show up and when Twintania returns that we can be a bit more deliberate about this phase. Off tank should cluster the snakes, and instead of popping LB right away, me and Calihye should each pick a "fresh" snake and whittle them down for 5-10 seconds. It's better that we eat the debuff and get blown up than a snake runs out towards ranged DPS and is left with 75% HP because it wasn't caught in the LB.

That's my take on our current status.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Kass wrote: »
    You know, I know there's a FC house thingie... I've even been to the neighborhood where it's at... but for the life of me I can't find it or figure out which one it is (I think I need to wander around there when I'm less... erm... inebriated... that may or may not help... who knows). I'll keep an eye out for the big house with too much crap on the front lawn, though.

Additionally, if you're in the FC you can just teleport right to the mansion. Should be the top option in your list.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I first cleared it as a monk and all I remember is you really don't want that debuff on melee. Unless echo has made it so you don't blow up instantly when titania comes back. It was better to hang back until lb went off, and if you're confident, go back in for other 2, making sure to clear out in time when they pop.

then again, I don't know what echo has changed with that.

• Options
    Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Twintainia Things

With 2 tanks, should we stagger killing the small adds and start burning Aslepius with 1 debuff on him at a time? What's the best way to handle that phase? Composition is PLD, WAR, WHM, SCH, MNK, DRG, SMN, BLM.

Pantry Raiders got to twisters last night! Great job, guys! I think tonight might be the night we clear T5!

The BLM limit break just isn't enough to kill off the fresh hygieas, and I saw more than a few runs where we had the initial snakes left with a sliver of health. I can't speak for the whole group, but I feel like we've got more than enough time between divebombs that it's virtually stress free and I have time to carefully choose my targets. I think we can get the first two hygieas down to 25%ish each before switching to asclepius. It's not like we're getting significant gains on his HP by focusing him as soon as they're at 50%.

I think maybe we picked 50% because some people early on were going overboard and killing them, but the solution isn't to leave them with more health, it's to stop attacking them entirely. No AOEs should be going out at that point anyway. The only concern is residual DOTs, but if I've got a DOT that can lop off 25% of a Hygiea's health, please tell me because I've been playing DRG wrong.

The problem on the other end is that the second set of adds aren't killed by the LB either. I feel comfortable with the amount of time between when they show up and when Twintania returns that we can be a bit more deliberate about this phase. Off tank should cluster the snakes, and instead of popping LB right away, me and Calihye should each pick a "fresh" snake and whittle them down for 5-10 seconds. It's better that we eat the debuff and get blown up than a snake runs out towards ranged DPS and is left with 75% HP because it wasn't caught in the LB.

I sent everyone in Pantry Raiders a message. I agree yesterdays strat wasn't working, did a little research, and we'll be trying something new tonight.

Either way, we need to be patient. Remember, last week we tried to one-tank it and yesterday we two-tanked it (and it was Core's first time taking it). We haven't been consistent about a strat for more than one session yet and we're *still* making progress. In my experience, this is all part of getting a new static up and running as well as learning a pretty involved fight. We'll iron out the transition from divebombs to twisters tonight and that's the hardest part.
    I first cleared it as a monk and all I remember is you really don't want that debuff on melee. Unless echo has made it so you don't blow up instantly when titania comes back. It was better to hang back until lb went off, and if you're confident, go back in for other 2, making sure to clear out in time when they pop.

Melee can handle 1 debuff (maybe 2?) but certainly not 4. I think staggering the debuffs will make it much less of a wipe-fest and give us much more time to put the hurt on the big snake. Remember: adding a stack of the debuff refreshes the entire duration (think Astral Fire / Umbral Ice).

Chubby Bunny on
    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular

Bring the first two little guys down kind of low. Then have the tank with them run around the ring to pick up the second two. TT will stop dive bombing shortly after they spawn. Have him bring them all to the middle. Nuke down the second two and then blow them all up at the same time. Melee should get out of the mob pack to avoid getting the debuff. Then everything converges on the big snake and it should melt pretty fast. Gear and such could probably see the big guy taken down pretty fast with one or two debuffs.

Then everyone hightails it to the neural links for the phase change.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I'll know I've gotten better at this podcast thing when I don't end each recording realizing I forgot to discuss certain things.

Specifically, my original suggestion for improving this game would be a way to streamline/shortcut some of the basic actions you have to input repeatedly during long boss battles. As a Tank I have to jab the one-two-three basic hate combo methodically until the situation requires me to bust out a cooldown (there's also the combo for lowering its damage, but that one isn't used as often).

Taking a cue from what they're discussing with FFXV, it would be nice if they added an auto-feature that just continues that basic combo, or maybe hold down a key/button and have it perform the three steps repeatedly. Anything to shorten the repetitiveness of hitting 1, 2, 3 over and over.

I know this doesn't apply to every Job, but I'm sure a shortcut feature like that would benefit most classes.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    joomanjiijoomanjii San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Twintainia Things

I sent everyone in Pantry Raiders a message. I agree yesterdays strat wasn't working, did a little research, and we'll be trying something new tonight.

Either way, we need to be patient. Remember, last week we tried to one-tank it and yesterday we two-tanked it (and it was Core's first time taking it). We haven't been consistent about a strat for more than one session yet and we're *still* making progress. In my experience, this is all part of getting a new static up and running as well as learning a pretty involved fight. We'll iron out the transition from divebombs to twisters tonight and that's the hardest part.

Melee can handle 1 debuff (maybe 2?) but certainly not 4. I think staggering the debuffs will make it much less of a wipe-fest and give us much more time to put the hurt on the big snake. Remember: adding a stack of the debuff refreshes the entire duration (think Astral Fire / Umbral Ice).

I can't stress enough how important patience is when raiding.

The most important thing with end-game raiding IMHO is to not stress over it. You're playing with your friends to get through difficult content together. Just pace yourselves, try to improve each time and help each other out (tips and/or strategizing), and try to have fun. If you can feel people are getting antsy with each other and are getting tired and frustrated, take a 10 minute break to stretch and regroup. Raiding in FFXIV is interesting because it's essentially a series of very involved boss fights. Because of that, practice is absolutely key to getting through phases and downing content. Once the mechanics become muscle memory, you'll be surprised how relatively easy some of the content in the game is. It's just dependent on how much time you are willing to put into practice to get content down.

I'm glad that new statics like Panty Raiders (lol) are forming up as 2.4 approaches. Nothing is better when you've been working on a particular turn of coil for a weeks, putting the time and energy into downing the boss, and finally getting that HP bar down to 0%. It's such a great feeling and everyone deserves to get a WIN. I hope more players take the initiative to form groups and work hard to down content together.

Final Fantasy XIV: Alethia Tamarie
  • Options
    joomanjii wrote: »
    Twintainia Things

The most important thing with end-game raiding IMHO is to not stress over it. You're playing with your friends to get through difficult content together.

Sound advice...if you're playing with friends.

In a PF group that either disbands after one failed attempt or routinely asks "Is this your first time?", it's a whole different story.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Is there anyone on now that can invite Montressa Gigglepotts to the company?

Just giving this a bump so Delphi or someone can see it. Beezel is good people and we should get him in GHOST ASAP.

488W936.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Everyone should be able to invite. Just whisper someone with the GHOST tag.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yes, we should. If he applies in game someone should be able to pres butan on him.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I'll know I've gotten better at this podcast thing when I don't end each recording realizing I forgot to discuss certain things.

Specifically, my original suggestion for improving this game would be a way to streamline/shortcut some of the basic actions you have to input repeatedly during long boss battles. As a Tank I have to jab the one-two-three basic hate combo methodically until the situation requires me to bust out a cooldown (there's also the combo for lowering its damage, but that one isn't used as often).

Taking a cue from what they're discussing with FFXV, it would be nice if they added an auto-feature that just continues that basic combo, or maybe hold down a key/button and have it perform the three steps repeatedly. Anything to shorten the repetitiveness of hitting 1, 2, 3 over and over.

I know this doesn't apply to every Job, but I'm sure a shortcut feature like that would benefit most classes.

One of the things I would suggest regarding the podcast thing, is to not try and force the discussion. There were a few times where the discussion was naturally transitioning into a topic and you put a halt to it because you were "going to talk about that later". In those situations I would suggest rolling with the transition and just marking that subject off instead of trying to force it into the order you wanted to do. It will come across more natural that way.

Also tone down on the negativity overall, Being critical is good, but to me it seemed there was a constant tone of negativity, even though you tried to break it up by bringing up positive points. One of the points you brought up as a negative had also been addressed or was not what you thought it was in game, so be careful of that.

Overall though it was a lot of fun :)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014

One of the things I would suggest regarding the podcast thing, is to not try and force the discussion. There were a few times where the discussion was naturally transitioning into a topic and you put a halt to it because you were "going to talk about that later". In those situations I would suggest rolling with the transition and just marking that subject off instead of trying to force it into the order you wanted to do. It will come across more natural that way.

Also tone down on the negativity overall, Being critical is good, but to me it seemed there was a constant tone of negativity, even though you tried to break it up by bringing up positive points. One of the points you brought up as a negative had also been addressed or was not what you thought it was in game, so be careful of that.

Overall though it was a lot of fun :)

You bring up a good point regarding the forced structure, but I was worried if I talked about things too early I would lose focus, or forget earlier things I wanted to bring up first. Keeping things casual and improvised does lead to a more natural conversation, I agree, but I do think a little ordered structure is also important. Either way, this is something I expect I'll get better at, so I'll keep it especially in mind.

I don't think I was too negative, except when discussing 1.0 where I felt it was perfectly justified. I also took care to mention my opinions as being personally subjective, where appropriate. But regardless it's also something I'll keep in mind in future recordings.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2014
    Two options: first is to do it as a televised interview is done, where you talk about everything that comes to mind and edit it down in post to fit into your time block. Second option is to do it like a radio interview and go in with a specific list of topics to be covered and a sharp time limit to adhere to for each segment.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Time isn't a factor for me: if I've ended up with two hours or more of recorded discussion, without repetition, I would consider that a successful podcast :)

I don't want to create time limits either because I want to make sure everyone gets a chance to say what they wanted to. This was the second time I did a recording with three people total (I originally wanted four!), so making sure everyone had equal opportunity to say their opinions was really important to me. As for topics, I did have an established order in my head, such as saving the "what do you want to see added to the game" question for the final portion. But as Delph said, I have to take care not to force that onto people if the topic goes into that direction early. Perhaps one thing I can do is tell the others before recording the intended order, but again I don't want to impose too much as a relaxed atmosphere will naturally lead to a more natural discussion. I have to basically make sure to balance between giving some direction while also giving enough freedom that people feel relaxed.

But let's keep any further discussions to PM so as not to go off-topic.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    joomanjii wrote: »

The most important thing with end-game raiding IMHO is to not stress over it. You're playing with your friends to get through difficult content together.

Sound advice...if you're playing with friends.

In a PF group that either disbands after one failed attempt or routinely asks "Is this your first time?", it's a whole different story.

Agreed. Pant(r)y Raiders is all-GHOST (with some friendly backups), so we definitely treat each other well. If anything, I'm the guiltiest party of providing feedback every run, but I try to keep it constructive and concise.

Anyway, the support and advice is appreciated. We're going back into T5 tonight and I have good feels about it.

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So sunken temple is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I cannot envision using it as the primary means of leveling everything from 35 to 40. Does anyone else have a favorite thing to do for that level range?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So sunken temple is really starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I cannot envision using it as the primary means of leveling everything from 35 to 40. Does anyone else have a favorite thing to do for that level range?

Consider just breaking it up. Do 1-2 levels per class in there, then go do some leves, the hunting log for each class, switch up who gets the daily roulettes, etc. Doing *any* dungeon over and over (and over and over) quickly becomes mind-numbing; unfortunately, you never really have access to more than one or two that give good xp/kill.

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Cutter's Cry opens up at 37 and caps at 40. Not sure if I'd describe it as an improvement, though.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Honestly, my level strategy is to use the low level and guildhest roulettes for leveling.

• Options
    So Yoshi P clarified the Rog/Nin gear thing a bit in a follow up interview done here : http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2jwt5g/gamer_escape_fan_fest_2014_interview_with_naoki/
    wrote:
    Gamer Escape: It was announced that Ninja would be using monk gear, but it was also said that it would be using dexterity as a primary stat. Isn’t the main stat on monk gear strength? How do you see this working?

Y: (After checking) Up to level 50, if you happen to have it, you are able to equip the fighter gear. Up to level 50 it is not job specific gear, so as long as you have fighter gear you will be OK, since they have both dexterity and strength. Beyond level 50, for example, the Fuma set from the Crystal Tower, and on that the dexterity attribute is already attached, so you be be able to use that. From 2.4 there will be new specific level 50+ gear that has the dexterity attribute attached so you won’t be conflicting with the Monk’s gear. Each will have their own specific sets of gear.

Which basically just confirms what we were speculating.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So adding Dez to existing monk gear and separate gear moving forward? Seems easy enough

• Options
    So Yoshi P clarified the Rog/Nin gear thing a bit in a follow up interview done here : http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2jwt5g/gamer_escape_fan_fest_2014_interview_with_naoki/
    wrote:
    Gamer Escape: It was announced that Ninja would be using monk gear, but it was also said that it would be using dexterity as a primary stat. Isn’t the main stat on monk gear strength? How do you see this working?

Y: (After checking) Up to level 50, if you happen to have it, you are able to equip the fighter gear. Up to level 50 it is not job specific gear, so as long as you have fighter gear you will be OK, since they have both dexterity and strength. Beyond level 50, for example, the Fuma set from the Crystal Tower, and on that the dexterity attribute is already attached, so you be be able to use that. From 2.4 there will be new specific level 50+ gear that has the dexterity attribute attached so you won’t be conflicting with the Monk’s gear. Each will have their own specific sets of gear.

Which basically just confirms what we were speculating.

Besides, you're going to just go to Reppu at 45, then to the relic version at 50 in most cases.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    So adding Dez to existing monk gear and separate gear moving forward? Seems easy enough

Yup! Most of the gear up to 50 has both anyways, so really they'll just have to add it on a few of the upper gearsets and all the current lvl 50 stuff.

What will be interesting is that the buff to Dex on the 50 gear means that technically Monk is getting a slight temp buff to their parry (very slight!). Practically it shouldn't really mean anything but it's kind of interesting.

Also that Eternal Bond system is far more elaborate that I figured it would be. You have to set a date, make a reservation, send out invitations and everything. Should be fun!

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    GE: In the Heavensward information, you indicated new “jobs” but not new “classes” – was that intentional?
    Y: You have a good eye! I’m afraid we can’t really say at this point. That’s a wonderful question though.
    (Source: http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/21/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/ )

o.O

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

I really don't think that's a good "feature". Just sitting there and smacking one button for my PLD or MNK combo would be the most mind numbing thing I could ever possibly imagine. Might as well just make the game compatible with an Atari 2600 controller and call it a day.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    GE: In the Heavensward information, you indicated new “jobs” but not new “classes” – was that intentional?
    Y: You have a good eye! I’m afraid we can’t really say at this point. That’s a wonderful question though.
    (Source: http://gamerescape.com/2014/10/21/fan-fest-2014-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/ )

o.O

Damn. DoM could use three at least 2 more classes. They are already on a 2:1 ratio with DoW come 2.4

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    G-DragonG-Dragon Registered User regular
    Red mage, surprise job

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah but role in party finder is more important. Doing something to cycle the dps jobs through the queue faster should be a priority.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Or maybe they should increase the difficulty slightly have a 10 man full party. 2 heals, 2 tanks, 6 deeps.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    G-Dragon wrote: »
    Or maybe they should increase the difficulty slightly have a 10 man full party. 2 heals, 2 tanks, 6 deeps.

Queues would be even longer than. That wouldn't help a bit.

Yeah but role in party finder is more important. Doing something to cycle the dps jobs through the queue faster should be a priority.

It's not a matter of having more tank or healer classes, it's just that people like playing DPS more than having the responsibility of leading a group as a tank or keeping everyone alive as a healer.

• Options
    I have said before thst they should put something in the df that only dps can queue for. I am sure they could figure out some quick barn burner where you have what amounts to a Gnasher Squig eating contest for 4.

• Options
    Well it at least pushes more deeps out per instance. They can also increase the number of instances again.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I have said before thst they should put something in the df that only dps can queue for. I am sure they could figure out some quick barn burner where you have what amounts to a Gnasher Squig eating contest for 4.

That wouldn't help with queues on any of the other content.

The problem is as Esh mentioned, if you design an MMO with the trinity system you are going to have longer queues for DPS classes because they are more popular than other classes. There are various things you can do to mitigate this to some degree (most of which SE has done already) but unfortunately it's a deep rooted side effect of the Trinity system.

Some things that have been done to help mitigate this:
    • Duty finder queues across multiple servers
    • Party makeup is 2 DPS instead of one
    • Separate DPS queues for Melee/ranged (at least initially, the longer the queue goes the less strict this is)
    • Daily Roulette for older content to help keep it populated
    • Bonuses for "Adventurer in Need"
    • Incentives for players to play less desirable classes (Tank and Healer mounts)

Just to list a few.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well yeah, of course it isn't going to help with queues for people who queue up for specific content. Not much you can do about that. It will really help the dps that just want to level though, and can only get one instance in a day due to 20 plus minute queues.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited October 2014

One-role guildhest-y type content would be pretty cool.

- It's up to you 4 tanks to form the front line of defense in this battle / training exercise!
    - Oh, thank goodness! A wandering light party of healers! A dragon came in and torched everything; we need you to treat all these people before time runs out!
    - I saw you talkin' to my <significant other>. *Throws down a white glove.* Let's take this outside.

Chubby Bunny on

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Well yeah, of course it isn't going to help with queues for people who queue up for specific content. Not much you can do about that. It will reall help the dps that just want to level though, and can only get one instance in a day due to 20 plus minute queues.

Oh, if you just want to level outside of dungeons I would suggest FATEs, or getting a small group and even just grinding out mobs with EXP chains. You can also do the battle leves, make sure you are doing your weekly challenge log stuff, hunting logs, etc.

Honestly doing FATEs and grinding out mobs while you wait for Dungeon queues would work pretty well. Alternatively you can set up a Party finder to find others to help with this, or even just to find people to make a party with to tackle the dungeon (advertise quick runs for exp so they won't think you are going through for the first time)

Also make sure you do your Guildhests on each class as you get a large bonus for completing those for the first time (they are also quick exp, comparable to dungeons)

Your best bet though honestly is to find a Tank or healer buddy and do dungeons. Most of the things I listed above though are things you can do while queued for a dungeon solo as DPS though so you are at least always making progress of some kind.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Other than dps, single role instances should never really come up on random, or you are just making the problem worse. Single tank and healer with 4 or 6 dps might be interesting content though

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    It would be nice if they added enough jobs to warrant a support role among the Tank/Heal/DPS roles. That is something I would like to see, since a lot of players are interested in just playing support only.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    That was something I loved in RIFT; 6 man parties. 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 1 Support, 3x DD.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
This discussion has been closed.