As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How To Write A European Resume

y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theoristthe Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys - I'm applying to a job overseas in Europe, and I'm wondering if there are specific ways to structure my resume and things to focus on that would not be immediately evident to me as an American. This job is really appealing to me in a variety of ways, but as a foreigner I really need to nail the application to even get considered.

Are there any Europes around that could steer me the right way? I think that technically this is a government position, though I'm not positive (it's related to research, though I would not actually be in a research position - more of a technician).

If any other information about me or the job is relevant just ask and I'll add it to the OP.

Thanks!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
y2jake215 on

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    "Europe" is a pretty large and diverse area. It contains several distinct countries.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Coming to terms with that fact might be a great starting point, btw.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I think that was shorthand for "I don't know all the customs for all the countries in Europe, but you guys seem to share a lot of stuff on the professional front with how things are organized, is there any tips on what I should do if I'm applying for a job, any job, in a European country, any European country?" without typing too much.

And yeah, Europeans typically use the CV format versus the Resume format Americans use, which seems to be ubiquitous across much of continental Europe. You want to go into more depth, talk about books you've helped write, other publications, independent research instead of trying to sell your business expertise, you want to sell your knowledge capacity.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    "Europe" is a pretty large and diverse area. It contains several distinct countries.
    bowen wrote: »
    I think that was shorthand for "I don't know all the customs for all the countries in Europe, but you guys seem to share a lot of stuff on the professional front with how things are organized, is there any tips on what I should do if I'm applying for a job, any job, in a European country, any European country?" without typing too much.

basically that, plus that the place i'm applying is an intergovernmental organization of several dozen European countries, so it seemed more helpful to be general

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    As a Europe, you may need to wrap your head around the idea that instead of a resume, you may need to send a Curriculum Vitae, commonly a CV.

I admit to no experience in research jobs, but it sounds like laying out your academic credentials in a CV would be beneficial. Also it doesn't hurt to have a CV built and just on file in case another job asks for it.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    As a Europe, you may need to wrap your head around the idea that instead of a resume, you may need to send a Curriculum Vitae, commonly a CV.

I admit to no experience in research jobs, but it sounds like laying out your academic credentials in a CV would be beneficial. Also it doesn't hurt to have a CV built and just on file in case another job asks for it.

i took a class in grad school on writing a CV, but it appears that in America a CV is rather different - it was very comprehensive, could be over 10-15 pages long, and focused heavily on publications and research done (which is not really the career path I ended up going down)

it sounds like an American resume and a European CV are far more similar?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    They are the same thing, just with different names.

What matters is getting your information pertinent and the layout easy to read.

You can ignore the whole idea of "don't make it longer than a page", my short CV is 7 pages long. The long one is 13 pages. Any interested party will ask for the long version after reading the short version, so the key is to make them want to keep reading.

If you want to message me your email I can help you with writing it. Also, it sounds like you are applying to either NATO or the EU, and I can give you some local advice on either should you get it. I particularly liked Geneva, though it is expensive as hell.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Maybe check out some of these links http://jobs.theguardian.com/cv-advice/ ?

The Guardian is a pretty useful resource and advertises quite a lot of professional to high-end jobs.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

You can ignore the whole idea of "don't make it longer than a page", my short CV is 7 pages long. The long one is 13 pages. Any interested party will ask for the long version after reading the short version, so the key is to make them want to keep reading.

If you want to message me your email I can help you with writing it. Also, it sounds like you are applying to either NATO or the EU, and I can give you some local advice on either should you get it. I particularly liked Geneva, though it is expensive as hell.

Well in the UK at least a "CV" won't run that long; 2-3 pages with the long form you're talking about being 'additional information' like a list of publications/certifications.

This has also been the way I've seen technical type CVs for European companies and institutions (may vary by industry, my experience is with Bioscience and Energy).

For the OP, your cover letter is super important for getting them to read your CV so you should spend a good bit of time polishing that. Also if the job needs technical qualifications you should look into the US::EU equivalents)

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I normally includes a section in my CV that reveals a little bit about my personal life like maybe a couple of hobbies, and if I'm attached to someone and so on. In interviews it often works as a conversation starter allowing you to connect on a personal level, rather than being all business.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I normally includes a section in my CV that reveals a little bit about my personal life like maybe a couple of hobbies, and if I'm attached to someone and so on. In interviews it often works as a conversation starter allowing you to connect on a personal level, rather than being all business.

Oh god that seems like a nightmare in the US.

I'm surprised no one's adopted it yet so they can get more info about your personal life, that's something US companies love to do.

I guess in Europe it's to get to know the employee, whereas in the US it'd be used to weed out people that don't fit an archetype they're looking for. IE, single, white male for jobs that do a lot of traveling.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dis' wrote: »
    PedroAsani wrote: »

Well in the UK at least a "CV" won't run that long; 2-3 pages with the long form you're talking about being 'additional information' like a list of publications/certifications.

This has also been the way I've seen technical type CVs for European companies and institutions (may vary by industry, my experience is with Bioscience and Energy).

For the OP, your cover letter is super important for getting them to read your CV so you should spend a good bit of time polishing that. Also if the job needs technical qualifications you should look into the US::EU equivalents)

<-- UK person here.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

this is useful only when applying to small companies

apart from that it's just clutter for HR to sort through.

• Options

On a CV that is honestly wasted space. I will use the interview to find out if you are capable of functioning in an office with other people. A CV is about demonstrating you have the skills and experience in the job ad. Anything that doesn't do that isn't helping you.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    To add to that: don't feel you have to provide the same level of detail on everything. If it isn't relevant to the job you're applying for, shorten it or even leave it out - unless that leaves a gap in your CV, in which case do mention it, just don't dwell on it.

Edit: If you're applying for a job in the international community, I don't think you need to worry too much about European vs. American CVs. They will be used to getting applications from people around the world.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    thanks everyone to the replies so far.
    For the OP, your cover letter is super important for getting them to read your CV so you should spend a good bit of time polishing that.

@Dis'

so for this cover letter - what should it entail? why i want the job? why i think i'm qualified? etc?

I've never had to write one before, American or otherwise, so I'm a little unsure here.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Succinctly show: who you are, that you understand who they are/what they do, and why you'd be good for the role. If someone referred or recommended you for the role do a name-drop.

They should be able to read it in a minute and then feel an urge to look at your CV.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I'm not good at even finding potential jobs, much less getting them, but the thing that is always stressed about CV is that it needs to make you seem like coolguy people will enjoy working with. And also that you will like them.

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    thanks everyone to the replies so far.
    For the OP, your cover letter is super important for getting them to read your CV so you should spend a good bit of time polishing that.

@Dis'

so for this cover letter - what should it entail? why i want the job? why i think i'm qualified? etc?

I've never had to write one before, American or otherwise, so I'm a little unsure here.

The CV is meant to be a general list of everything you've done. The cover letter is meant to highlight the parts of your CV that make you a good fit for the position. You should also be trying to show that you've researched the company and position. It's what is meant to get the person interested so that they spend the time and effort reading the whole CV.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

FYI - Don't do this in the US, as technically we shouldn't ask about it.

• Options
    As an update: I finished, applied, and a few hours later got an (automated?) email saying I was disqualified due to living in the US. However they are allowed to hire from here if there are literally no other candidates so....you're saying there's a chance..

Thanks all

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    As an update: I finished, applied, and a few hours later got an (automated?) email saying I was disqualified due to living in the US. However they are allowed to hire from here if there are literally no other candidates so....you're saying there's a chance..

Thanks all

It's one of the ridiculously disjointed immigration issues between Europe and the US. It would be so much easier if they allowed workers to move between some of the countries that are more on parity. I'm thinking UK, Ireland, Netherlands, etc.