As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Over the [chat]bow...

MazzyxMazzyx Comedy GoldRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
We are no longer in Kansas anymore. Except maybe Jake.

http://youtu.be/PSZxmZmBfnU

But that means we have crossed that line between madness and knowledge.

http://youtu.be/V1bFr2SWP1I

So let us travel over the rainbow.

Netrunner-rainbow-05025.png

u7stthr17eud.png
Mazzyx on

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Reposting from last thread

Alright, so, I need to study game interfaces:

What are some games that have stand-out interfaces in terms of either looks or usability?

Particularly things like RPGs and SRPGs that are heavy on the menus and need to display a lot of information about a lot of characters.

Anything come to mind for anyone?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Somewhere
    over the rainbow
    there's another rainbow.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

What are some games that have stand-out interfaces in terms of either looks or usability?

Particularly things like RPGs and SRPGs that are heavy on the menus and need to display a lot of information about a lot of characters.

I think for your game, you might want to look at 4X games for good UI design, maybe?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    synd, your apple fandom is so over the top

normally i appreciate a deep disdain for the common man but when it is based on brand loyalty i falter

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Neat if anyone wants to try Disney Infinity 2.0 there is a weird f2p PC version thingy

https://infinity.disney.com/en-ca/news/play-2-0-for-free-on-your-2031

https://infinity.disney.com/en-ca/pc-game

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Narrow down what you're looking for from the UI and I can give some suggestions.

But different RPG UIs are good at different things.

Obviously platform also matters a great deal.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Somewhere
    over the rainbow
    there's another rainbow.

What does it mean?

• Options

FF 12, 13 and Tactics?

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Okay I was actually posting on this.

My understanding is Destiny has a fantastic UI. Mike Bithell wrote up a nice bit on gamasutra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MikeBithell/20140911/225448/What_to_steal_From_Destinys_UI.php

I like Shadowrun:Dragonfall DC's revamp. It isn't perfect but it is okay for a turnbased game. I can't find a good example but they did a nice job with the update.

Might want to look into Blizzard's stuff with Diablo. They make pretty clean interfaces.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    "They didn't know they needed it until after the fact" isn't inherently a sign of technological marvel or superiority, it's a sign of marketing that takes advantage of a deep need to fit in

Eddy on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

normally i appreciate a deep disdain for the common man but when it is based on brand loyalty i falter

But of a man so markedly unashamed of his devotion to consumer electronics, in this reflexively self conscious and mistrustful age? Surely that must be some credit in a time where any good man flinches a little before expressing that they are familiar with and enjoy the works of David Lynch

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    ow1fg55fvgw9.png

Does that pose look weird to everyone or just to me?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that people already consider the tablet computer market as equivalent to smart phones in terms of ubiquity. Tablet computers appear to saturated the market in many territories, and it is in no way certain that they can grow the market to the same ubiquity as smartphones. I'm not saying that it is a failure in terms of making Apple a lot of cash.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Study Borderlands 1 and 2 to learn how to not design an interface.

It's a masterclass is shit design.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    On RPG UIs, I really only have the observation that players will always seek to optimise, so the interface shouldn't make it tedious to do so.

I'm looking at you, anything by Bethesda.

• Options
    "They didn't know they needed it until after the fact" isn't inherently a sign of technological marvel or superiority, it's a sign of marketing that takes advantage of a deep need to fit in

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1994/03/20

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

The question is where does the forum persona end and the real man begin?

But seriously the first gen items are usually underpowered proof of concept things that most people should not buy into, but more often then not they reinvigorate a confused or dead product line and kind of set the tone for things going forward.

I just find the people saying "nobody needs this thing what the hell" comments or "other people make things with more features" are hilarious because this conversation does happen almost every time around a new Apple product launch. Like, every time.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Well, I mean, the apple watch might be the next apple TV, or that workstation that looked like a wastepaper basket

Or it may flop completely, particularly as it's the first post-Jobs product and there seems to be a sense of needing to prove that apple's still "got it"

• Options
    oh man they now have McDonalds coffee for my Tassimo

YES!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Narrow down what you're looking for from the UI and I can give some suggestions.

But different RPG UIs are good at different things.

Obviously platform also matters a great deal.

It's supposed to look retro but not too retro: Gameboy Advance/DS is about the right spot.

I think SRPGs like Fire Emblem, Disgaea, etc are probably the closest correlate as far as the amount/types of information I need to display.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    japan wrote: »
    Well, I mean, the apple watch might be the next apple TV, or that workstation that looked like a wastepaper basket

Or it may flop completely, particularly as it's the first post-Jobs product and there seems to be a sense of needing to prove that apple's still "got it"

That "waste bin" workstation is an engineering marvel, and is doing great for the admittedly small niche it aims for. That was never intended as a mass market device.

The Apple tv is admittedly an accessory at best. I like my Xbox one more for media consumption. I keep feeling like until they open the Apple TV up to developers it will never extend beyond that role.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    And both of those things have been true to some degree for all apple products! I don't see why those aren't valid critiques

• Options
    I also think anyone who buys the 18kt gold multi-thousand dollar version of the gen 1 Apple watch is an idiot of the highest order.

I will get one day one, but it's gonna be the lowest cost sport version, especially since the internals will be identical.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The iWatch feels like it had a weak announcement, considering the bravado. They're in a field where the competition isn't a pack of confused incompetents. This is how the the iPhone was announced.

steve-jobs-pre-iphone-slide.jpg

You can't do something like that with the Moto 360.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Elki wrote: »
    The iWatch feels like it had a weak announcement, considering the bravado. They're in a field where the competition isn't a pack of confused incompetents. This is how the the iPhone was announced.

Well, at least according to the people who have used both (which is an admittedly small pool outside of the tech press world) you can.

Apples phone UX is apparently miles ahead of google's wearable OS. Those differences will shrink rapidly as the products hit the market, but Leo Laporte, who is an android phone user and has a Moto 360, said the watch felt 2-3 generations ahead of what android has on tap right now.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I suppose the thing is that past success isn't really any guarantee of future success.

It's not unusual for companies to release one wildly successful product (or even two or three!) and then drop something that's a complete turd.

So when you have a product that seems like a hell of a stretch it's not like it's unreasonable to be skeptical, especially when said company is big on hype. Apple's getting a comparatively easy ride because it is a successful company and it's rich enough that it probably isn't betting the farm on this.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i can still remember how bad the first iphone was

i mean it was still an innovation but it didnt start getting good until the 3G imo

• Options
    But I am sure this is getting hella boring, so...

butts butts butts.

@Deebaser‌ the printer survived and is working great

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    John Green is just so delightful to watch.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

Well, at least according to the people who have used both (which is an admittedly small pool outside of the tech press world) you can.

Apples phone UX is apparently miles ahead of google's wearable OS. Those differences will shrink rapidly as the products hit the market, but Leo Laporte, who is an android phone user and has a Moto 360, said the watch felt 2-3 generations ahead of what android has on tap right now.

In what way?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I am excited by the Apple television set rumors. Apple needs to shake up TV like they shook up smartphones, and mp3 players before that, and personal computers before that. Television sets are so clunky right now. Remotes are ugly behemoths with 1000 buttons. TV and DVR interfaces are clunky afterthoughts. Set top boxes are massive and ugly. And when I sit down to watch TV what happens is I push the power button and nothing happens because oh, the set top box isn't on. And then I turn it on and oh, the TV is still blank because I need to switch the TV to a different input.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That "waste bin" workstation is an engineering marvel, and is doing great for the admittedly small niche it aims for. That was never intended as a mass market device.

The Apple tv is admittedly an accessory at best. I like my Xbox one more for media consumption. I keep feeling like until they open the Apple TV up to developers it will never extend beyond that role.

The Apple TV is circling TV manufacturers getting their act together with Smart TVs. If someone eventually realizes that you could just, not lock the interface on those down, that'll be the beginning of the end.

I want a Smart TV I can install XBMC on directly.

• Options
    Whelp done with GiTS again.

I do really enjoy that show.

It explores so many ideas.

Also interesting how in the second season they decided the Major should wear pants.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I kind of dislike assuming a company will succeed based on pass successes. I understand that corporate culture and whatnot is extremely important in creating a successful product so that a string of successes does at least have some correlation to whether the company will continue to be successful. However, plenty of companies have been really successful until they fucked up severely due to misjudging the market or the technology simply not being there yet.

The watch could be the next iPad or it could be the next Apple MessagePad.

Newton_eat_up_martha.jpg

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Study Borderlands 1 and 2 to learn how to not design an interface.

It's a masterclass is shit design.

I heard Master of Orion 3 is also particularly bad.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

We'll see, but iOS wasn't a generation or two better than Android. It was an existence ahead of Android while it pooped all over the Windows Mobile and Blackberry.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

In what way?
    One of the biggest things noted is that apple made no effort to carry the iOS gui over to the watch - there is no multitouch (pinch to zoom on a 1.5" screen is silly) - but rather force sensitive touch and use of a crown to zoom in and out of elements in the app and then the OS proper. It's an entirely different UI paradigm and it works on small screens.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Here is the problem with the watch. You are either trying to sell to people who don't wear watches, and so need to convince them to wear one at all, people who wear cheap watches and need to be convinced to spend money on a watch or people who are into watches and who you need to convince to abandon their high end watches to wear something that isn't even a real watch. The first two categories are hard sells because you are trying to sell them on the concept of both wearing an expensive watch and using the apple watch. The third group is much harder because you are asking then to trade their Patek Phillippes, Cartiers, Tag Heurs etc. for something that does not meet the criteria of being a mechanical watch, or even of telling time without needing to touch it. If they made it a bracelet, I'd be considering it now, but my wrist is occupied. . .

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also interesting how in the second season they decided the Major should wear pants.

I wonder if it was a decision they arrived at independently or if they were reacting to fan criticism.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I wonder if it was a decision they arrived at independently or if they were reacting to fan criticism.

It's Japanese.

I doubt the latter happened.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.