As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread:

Advice for my Fiancee who is Mentally and Physically Ill.

nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
My Fiancee and I are in a bad financial situation and I was hoping the Government might offer some relief but we don't really know what we're doing and I wanted see if anybody knows what our options might be. So here's the situation:

So we live in California and her and I have been involved since we were teenagers, nearly ten years, and in that time she has never had a job. You see when I first started dating her she had recently started taking a bunch of prescription medication for Bi-polar and Boarder-line Personality Disorder. Her initial set of pills wern't well tuned to her body though. Its caused a ton of medical issues over the years. She went from being a very healthy teenager to being in and out of hospitals. She had her Gallbladder out at seventeen and has had around a Kidney stone a year since though those seem to be getting farther apart. Also she had her appendix out but that might be unrelated. She's been in and out for unrelated stuff but she is often sick. We've tried improving our diet but it seems to have only helped a little. Additionally her pills don't seem to be exactly working all the time. Sometimes she gets really sullen and can't get out of bed.

We've tried Social Security before but the denied her. With all this its becoming extremely difficult for her to look for a job leaving me the soul provider and I just don't make enough. We keep skating by with the help of my parents and I don't really know what to do. Do we have other options?



  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Social Security ALWAYS denies you the first time. Keep trying with that.

  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also check the state for assistance. The Disability Determination Service Division of California Department of Social Services can provide assistance. Bring paperwork, and wade through the Bureaucracy, but once her disability is substantiated things get easier. For one thing, the state can advocate for you to the Social Security office. It changes the nature of the conversation. Two a lot of state services become free. Three if you need extra levels of care, it is far easier to obtain and also free.

    Dealing with social security and state agencies is a slog, it sucks, and often you have to be persistent and reapply and appeal. The first line people generally take the stance of least work, which is usually a 'no.' Even if the person has a right to the services. Keep slogging and don't go away. They bank on people going away.

Sign In or Register to comment.