As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Daily Show, Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, & Full Frontal] Noah makin' it rain!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ someone cancel the Late Show and put Colbert out of his misery.

He's been so awful that he's literally made me cringe at how awkward and flat these failed attempts at humor have been.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    He's just not the same on there...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    He is trying to be himself not the larp character you know him as

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I find the band interactions really drag the show down, 95% of the time they aren't entertaining and just feel like a way to pad out the run time.

Why are they there anyways, is it just a Late Show tradition? Is Colbert contractually obligated to have a band to his left? Do they get paid, or are they damned souls bound to the will of CBS?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I like that band tho... John Batiste is a great musician.

I dunno, Colbert is doing fine behind the desk - it just might not be a format you are interested in, but he is not doing badly in my opinion.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Banter between Colbert and Batiste just doesn't work very well, but otherwise I still enjoy the show most of the time. Moreso when he does Colbert Show like segments though. Could do with more of those and one less guest in my opinion, but it is a talk show after all.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yes. Obviously.

But he's still the same comedian with the same writers. He's just not funny.

Maybe it's different rules for what he can get away with but for example his "life hacks" segment last night is what literally made me cringe.

That was horrible. Just oh my god horrible.

Having the audience repeat "hacked" after each one was even worse. Just ugh.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    If they're going to keep having Colbert attempt to interact with Baptiste, they're going to have to do what Conan did back in the Late Night days with Max Weinberg and make their awkwardness part of the joke. Otherwise, they're not going to create chemistry out of nowhere - they need to stop forcing it.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Viskod wrote: »

Yes. Obviously.

Maybe it's different rules for what he can get away with but for example his "life hacks" segment last night is what literally made me cringe.

I think you have some rose colored glasses on. As great as The Colbert Report was, it's not like they never had a segment that bombed.

Plus, he's said multiple times that he was going to end The Colbert Report anyway, so it's not like it was between The Late Show and TCR. It was between The Late Show and nothing.
    Maybe calm down and realize that not everything has to be catered 100% to your personal tastes?

Edit: Plus, he still does segments of political/news commentary. His other bits haven't replaced that.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So is anyone else debating calling up the big three and complaining about how awful they are for puppies, Hitler and Orca steaks?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Like many late night shows, Colbert has a deep bag of returning tricks to fill time and keep things different. Not all of them work, but some of them are amazing. "Life Hacks" is trash, but "Big Furry Hat" and "Midnight Confessions" are solid IMO. His interviews are also above the usual late night "pimp your latest release" fare more often than not. Batiste is awkward as hell whenever he speaks (I'm not convinced he isn't more than a little high most of the time — he seems unconnected to reality) but he and his band bring some amazing tunes to the mix; even the show's opening theme has variations from night to night as they constantly explore it. Come to that, some of the show's musical guests are quite frankly bizarre acts that would never get this level of exposure anywhere else.

DVR it and fast-forward through the crap.

• Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Man, that LWT piece on Credit Scores really hit home for me.

When I was in the process of applying for a Home Loan, I got denied because they said I had too many outstanding debts, which surprised me because I only had one loan for my car and no other debt besides a low balance credit card. Turns out they had all of my dad's loans, Mortgage, cars. etc. under my name, because I have the same exact name as him. I eventually got it fixed after 8 months of badgering them, and sending them proof that we are not the same person. It was infuriating, especially when someone I spoke with at Experian tried to convince me that maybe I just forgot that I took out those loans. One rep at Transunion even told me that what I was saying was impossible, because they only pull the info by my Social Security Number and not by name, she had the nerve to tell me that I was just trying to get away something, and I should not have made so many bad financial decisions.

PacMan1979 on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So is anyone else debating calling up the big three and complaining about how awful they are for puppies, Hitler and Orca steaks?

You mean babies? Experianne is great for Hitler!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    PacMan1979 wrote: »

When I was in the process of applying for a Home Loan, I got denied because they said I had too many outstanding debts, which surprised me because I only had one loan for my car and no other debt besides a low balance credit card. Turns out they had all of my dad's loans, Mortgage, cars. etc. under my name, because I have the same exact name as him.

Was this a recent mortgage? Curious as to how old you were when it was drawn, because that's the kind of nonsense LWT brought up that really made me SMDH.

• Options

Yes. Obviously.

I think you have some rose colored glasses on. As great as The Colbert Report was, it's not like they never had a segment that bombed.

Plus, he's said multiple times that he was going to end The Colbert Report anyway, so it's not like it was between The Late Show and TCR. It was between The Late Show and nothing.
    Maybe calm down and realize that not everything has to be catered 100% to your personal tastes?

Edit: Plus, he still does segments of political/news commentary. His other bits haven't replaced that.

I didn't say a word about the Colbert Report, goose.

I just don't think he's been as consistently funny.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Going back to the cheese discussion

The other day I made two grilled cheese sandwiches due to this thread.

One with Kraft Singles, a staple of my childhood and the first food I learned to 'cook'

And one with aged Cheddar.

Lo and behold, I enjoyed the Kraft Singles sandwich more.

My roommate used to give me crap about liking 'low quality' food until I told her it was super shitty to assume that I'm incapable of enjoying high quality food. When I was growing up it's not like I had much of a choice. I ate what my parents bought.

It was hella classist.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    PacMan1979 wrote: »

When I was in the process of applying for a Home Loan, I got denied because they said I had too many outstanding debts, which surprised me because I only had one loan for my car and no other debt besides a low balance credit card. Turns out they had all of my dad's loans, Mortgage, cars. etc. under my name, because I have the same exact name as him.

Was this a recent mortgage? Curious as to how old you were when it was drawn, because that's the kind of nonsense LWT brought up that really made me SMDH.

It was 1997. I was still in High School.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

One with Kraft Singles, a staple of my childhood and the first food I learned to 'cook'

My roommate used to give me crap about liking 'low quality' food until I told her it was super shitty to assume that I'm incapable of enjoying high quality food. When I was growing up it's not like I had much of a choice. I ate what my parents bought.

It was hella classist.

Cheddar is a hard cheese and doesn't have the same melting point as American cheese

It is essential that the cheese in grilled cheese is actually melted

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

It was hella classist.

Cheese is where I see a lot of elitism from my wife. Like she'll eat a lot of garbo foods but Kraft Singles are like the one food where she puts on her food authority pants and declares them awful. She who likes Spaghetti O's which are not spaghetti and barely O's.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    pre-heat the cheddar in the microwave for like 5 seconds. It makes it much more melty when actually cooked in the sandwich.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    pre-heat the cheddar in the microwave for like 5 seconds. It makes it much more melty when actually cooked in the sandwich.

Yeah but for how long before th specific heat of the bread is overwhelmed?

I also have a theory that American cheese, being tasteless, doesn't overwhelm the flavor of the butter in grilled cheese and mac and cheese. In short, we're just looking for an excuse to eat large quantities of butter without feeling gross

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Kraft singles are engineered to melt "correctly" in a way that make grilled cheeses amazing. It's the one thing it's actually good for.

Put a slice of cold kraft "cheese" between two slices of room temp real cheese and grill that. All the cheeses should be a mess of ooey gooey melty goodness.

Veevee on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Yes. Obviously.

I didn't say a word about the Colbert Report, goose.

I just don't think he's been as consistently funny.

You're being really needlessly belligerent for a conversation about late night comedians.
    Silly me, assuming that when you refer to him still being "the same comedian with the same writers", I might somehow think you're making a comparison to his previous show. How ever would I get that idea.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Conan O'Brien was the same. He was the best on that when he stopped caring about staying on the air.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I dunno, Colbert is doing fine behind the desk - it just might not be a format you are interested in, but he is not doing badly in my opinion.

I find it hard to tell since I find the late night talk show thing intolerably dull on it's own. The few bits I've enjoyed of his show have been when he verges more towards Daily Show/Colbert Report style work.

I also feel like there's no edge to his work. Alot of the best stuff from the Colbert Report was pretty vicious.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, O'Brian's Korean trip was amazing.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Shredding the cheddar also works well for grilled cheeses. For some reasons it allows it to be melty without being greasy.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Delicious Cholesterol Tangent
    1 slice pepper jack, 1 slice mozzarella, ~half a tub of margarine. Ain't got time to let an equivalent volume of real butter soften. (I will swab a stick in the pan for a base, though.)
    shryke wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

I find it hard to tell since I find the late night talk show thing intolerably dull on it's own. The few bits I've enjoyed of his show have been when he verges more towards Daily Show/Colbert Report style work.

I also feel like there's no edge to his work. Alot of the best stuff from the Colbert Report was pretty vicious.

Agree. I wish him well, but that format generally seems to mean twice the length and one third of the jokes. With all the other TV I'm perpetually behind on, I can't bring myself to invest the time.

If a bit does well, it will eventually pop up in my youtube feed or get posted here.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Colbert is definitely still putting out feelers to figure out what's good and what isn't. He's also definitely gone back to the well of things that work well far too often at this point so those things are starting to wear thin.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Conan O'Brien was the same. He was the best on that when he stopped caring about staying on the air.

Oh god, his last weeks at NBC were hilarious.

DanHibiki wrote: »
    Speaking of which, O'Brian's Korean trip was amazing.

I find it fascinating that O'Brien seems to be so much huger in every other country in the world than in the States. Shit, even in Armenia, people were making a big deal about him.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The best the Late Show bits are when the liveness of the show comes through. When they obviously haven't quite had the time needed to get something together and are doing it by the seat of their pants. The first wheel of news segment would be the example that stands out. It's much more personal. Or else when a bit falls to pieces and Stephen cracks up and keeps going. Those moments are great.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Years ago, I used to investigate potential fraud cases for an American cell phone company. One of the tools we had was a limited form of a credit check, where we could run a SSN and see what names/addresses one of the American credit companies had associated with it. So, an order would come in for a John Smith, with a given SSN. And we'd look at that SSN, and the thought process might go something like this:

"Ok, two name/address/SSN matches, good. A Joanna Smith listed under the same SSN at an address within the same city - possible child or spouse? Another two name/SSN matches, two to the same city, OK. A Johna Smith - OK, different city, but older data? That's probably just someone doing a bad job of manual data entry, and/or maybe that Joanna noted above? This looks relatively clean, and- well, shit, Jose Perez Garcia? Lots of older entries for this name beneath John Smith, and Jose is noted as deceased. What does the SSN death index say? It says that that SSN belongs to Jose Perez Garcia, and he's dead. Well, crap. Send it off to the people who reach out to customers so that they can tell the customer that their order is being cancelled..."

That's without seeing the actual credit report, so we wouldn't see which of those were mortgages and which were car loans and which were credit card debt, etc.

And the thing is, sometimes people like that John Smith had existing accounts. And bizarrely enough, they were often perfectly good customers. They just either didn't have an SSN of their own or didn't want to use their own SSN (often because it was tied to bad credit), so they built entire credit histories on random SSNs. In other cases, we would see two people basically living parallel lives using the same SSN, with no connection between the names - they could be something like Karen Miller and David Taylor, both with numerous entries using the SSN, and it was impossible to tell who really had that SSN.

The scariest thing? People with only one name on that history were less common than people with more than one name. While the sample of people I was looking at was a sample that had already been flagged for fraud indicators (i.e., it was likely that there would be more cases of reused SSN than a random sample), it was still depressing to see on a daily basis.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

Paladin wrote: »

It was hella classist.

Cheddar is a hard cheese and doesn't have the same melting point as American cheese

It is essential that the cheese in grilled cheese is actually melted

This.

I like to use shredded mozzarella with some goat cheese mixed in, and then after the cheese has melted I put some shredded parmesan on the skillet and let it melt slightly, the place the already cooked grilled cheese on top so it melts to the outside of the bread.

Even better if you put sliced tomato inside and sprinkle some basil and oregano.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/RllWJUvrxEY

All this Grilled Cheese talk is reminding me that I really need to try this recipe.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Alton Brown is cool AF.

There are quite a few grilled cheese recipes I'd like to try when I'm home as well, but I would be the only one at the house who would eat them.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    The ideal grilled cheese sandwich is the one that's salted with your own tears of shame for having created such a poor attempt at food.

Edit: and served with a bowl of tomato soup for dipping, of course.

see317 on
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The segment with the eagle was amazing.

The level of regulation they have in that thing is staggering.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.