Options

[The Flash] Fastest Thread Alive

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    You know, I wonder if R-F's beef with Barry is personal, or if it's related to the Thawne-Allen feud in the comics. I don't know much about that- never really read Flash, or paid much attention to him before the show- but it seems like something the TV writers would adapt. Whatever it is, I really hope it's not something petty.

R-F is an interesting villain because he (apparently) isn't a raving lunatic. Colder than ice, sure, but not insane. If the reason he went all Terminator is something dumb, I'm afraid it'll undermine the entire character.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I am no imagining a scene where they use makeup to make a near middle aged Barry, and a super young Reverse Flash meeting for the first time from Reverse's perspective. Reverse starts to monologue a little and Barry is all "Yeah, yeah, this is all old news at this point" completely bored of the situation 30 seconds in, and that is what pisses him off to start his crusade. That because Barry has known his entire life that he beats him, he never truly respects him whenever he shows up. And that drives Reverse to greater and greater lengths to destroy Barry.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    If they wanted to completely blow my mind to back of the auditorium, this is the scenario I would go for:
    We get into the time-travel shenanigans, Barry changes the past, gets back to the future... and his dad is the Flash. Yes, the series mucks about with time travel so much that it brings back the old Flash series. Everything is wrong now, but we get some amazing stuff with Dad Flash and Young Flash fighting Reverse Flash and whatnot, before Barry has to go back and put everything back the way it was but now Barry knows what to do to to beat Reverse Flash and gets to see his dad as a free man and a hero to everyone.

That would be pretty epic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SuneaterSuneater Registered User regular
    If they wanted to completely blow my mind to back of the auditorium, this is the scenario I would go for:
    We get into the time-travel shenanigans, Barry changes the past, gets back to the future... and his dad is the Flash. Yes, the series mucks about with time travel so much that it brings back the old Flash series. Everything is wrong now, but we get some amazing stuff with Dad Flash and Young Flash fighting Reverse Flash and whatnot, before Barry has to go back and put everything back the way it was but now Barry knows what to do to to beat Reverse Flash and gets to see that his dad as a free man and a hero to everyone.

That would be pretty epic.

The first thing Barry see his Dad does is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGGuXtMiRA4, and the kid at the end is young barry, somehow. And they defeat Reverse Flash with a sweet ass guitar duet.

3DS FC# 3480-2551-0694
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I would dig that so hard.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's at the point now where I don't even try to guess what's coming.

I just sit back an enjoy the speed force

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    If they get the rights to cleverly insert flash into the old show and it works - that would be very very amazing feat to pull off from a business aspect and an artistic aspect. god no please don't use that scene, at least something with Trickster.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I couldn't tell, were the pictures of Hamill as the "Original Trickster" from the first Flash series? The costume looked cheesy enough to be from the 90s.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    They were

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    XhDRsmN.jpg

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Well, for all the hate about Iris, she figured out Barry was the Flash on her own, something Laurel never did.

Did it in less than a Season too!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Laurel reacted like a champ, though (and come to think of it so did Thea). It's yet to be seen how Iris will!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Everyone taking this approach is falling victim to over thinking it majorly. It doesn't matter one iota what they're doing with the prison as evidenced by the show being good without a 10 minutes debate on the ethics and a 30 minute meeting on prisoner logistics. Or a 5 second line. They could say something, sure, but if they don't? Almost no one cares. Iris is a much bigger problem than the prisoners.

It's still a shitty things to leave out. They do so many good things while with the prison, it's a goddamn train wreck. And it'd be so simple to solve too. It's disappointing. Almost no one caring doesn't mean they're not doing the heroes a disservice. I'd rather not have to be reminded every week our hero is a monster who has no moral high ground to Team Arrow.

edit: I guess since it is implied rather than shown they get can away with it as much as they do. The audience has turned on other super-heroes for less in adaptions - like in Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Well, for all the hate about Iris, she figured out Barry was the Flash on her own, something Laurel never did.

She only figured it out because Barry shocked her in his coma and Flash shocked her on the bridge. It's not like she's a detective.

...but they are taking her in the right direction, so I'm happier.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If this was season one arrow she'd think Joe was the flash after that.

I thought it was a neat way to figure it out

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    At least Iris isn't Lois Lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But they lamp shaded it well with that scene, too.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it would be nice if the combination of the reveal at the end of the episode and iris' investigation led to some more agency from her character, but we'll see

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Everyone taking this approach is falling victim to over thinking it majorly. It doesn't matter one iota what they're doing with the prison as evidenced by the show being good without a 10 minutes debate on the ethics and a 30 minute meeting on prisoner logistics. Or a 5 second line. They could say something, sure, but if they don't? Almost no one cares. Iris is a much bigger problem than the prisoners.

It's still a shitty things to leave out. They do so many good things while with the prison, it's a goddamn train wreck. And it'd be so simple to solve too. It's disappointing. Almost no one caring doesn't mean they're not doing the heroes a disservice. I'd rather not have to be reminded every week our hero is a monster who has no moral high ground to Team Arrow.

edit: I guess since it is implied rather than shown they get can away with it as much as they do. The audience has turned on other super-heroes for less in adaptions - like in Superman Returns and Man of Steel.

I hate to use the phrase, but "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." They haven't dealt with the prison because it hasn't been necessary to the story yet. Whenever villains from the Pipeline have shown up again, they haven't been covered in filth and driven mad from unethical conditions. They even released Cisco's blog on the subject, which is more than a lot of shows have done.

Details on the Pipeline aren't really necessary yet. They would serve as useless exposition unless there was something in the episode's plot about it. I'm fine if they hold off explaining the prison until the prison break episode.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Assuming our heroes are monsters because they don't detail the sanitation system of the superpeople prison is kinda silly.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I hate to use the phrase, but "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." They haven't dealt with the prison because it hasn't been necessary to the story yet.

It is necessary for what they do at STAR Labs and protecting the city from their captured super-villains. It's their job and they're not barbarians, after all. Also, while it is a silly show they're not in a universe where prisoners don't need to be supervised and fed and whatever to survive. It wouldn't kill the show to show a bit of it and have conversations about the prison. It's an underlying premise in the show itself, and they place themselves and the city in danger if they can't contain those criminals.
    Whenever villains from the Pipeline have shown up again, they haven't been covered in filth and driven mad from unethical conditions.

Strange how they never talk about how they view their imprisonment either. If it isn't a big deal then give us more - that's all I'm asking.

What odd is the lack of information. There will be multiple episodes in the show where the prison isn't even bought up, despite it being a big responsibility for Team Flash at STAR Labs. That becomes a higher priority since they learnt Wells is a super-villain, which should have been a concern he'd exploit
    before he got to the shape-shifter. When they were in STAR Labs trying to confront Wells no one even bothered to think about him having access to prisoners - either as hostages, distractions or allies. And they had two detectives on their side.
    They even released Cisco's blog on the subject, which is more than a lot of shows have done.

Other shows show this stuff on it, though. Blogs no one reads aren't required. Smallville did stuff like that with Chloe Sullivan few people cared about it and she was more popular than Cisco is at the time. If they have a blog about this stuff, there's no reason they can't fit in the show itself or talk about it. Aside from one or two episodes they could have ignored the prison entirely and not changed a single word for most episodes.
    Details on the Pipeline aren't really necessary yet. They would serve as useless exposition unless there was something in the episode's plot about it. I'm fine if they hold off explaining the prison until the prison break episode.

I'd say setting up how the prison works would be necessary exposition for a prison break episode. They do it for everything else. Hell, they did for Grodd
    and he finally fights Flash next episode.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The main problem is that there's no feasible solution to the problem you're presenting unless STAR Labs has access to more resources and personnel than has been shown. And since the show runners (and frankly, the rest of us) don't think it's relevant to the story, there's no need to waste time presenting the problem in the first place and then showing a tenable solution. This is not something that can be solved with just a short tidbit. It opens up a whole Pandora's Box of problems, and it makes a lot more sense to just ignore the problem altogether.

To get back to a point made much earlier, nobody in these stories ever takes a shit or stops to eat. 24 is probably the most notorious example of this, given the format of the show.

• Options
    I suspend my disbelief all the time when watching TV shows, superhero shows in particular.
    If you're wondering how he Mike eats and breathes
    And other science facts
    Then repeat to yourself "It's just a show,"
    I should really just relax.

I'm a huge proponent of making sure a story works and makes sense. In my mind there is nothing worse than when a movie or show contradicts itself or has a complete logical fallacy.

That's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that the show is asking us to not ask certain questions until its ready to answer them. The first season of The Flash is already jam packed with amazing stuff; if they choose to not explain the Pipeline in detail until later (or at all for that matter, though I doubt that this would happen), then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hell, it's not like this show's strong suit is always making perfect sense. How many times have we asked the question of why Barry doesn't use his power in X way to resolve a problem immediately (it's not like you used phasing two weeks ago, Barry.)? How many times have we just said "Yeah, alright" when an outright outrageous scientific concept was brought up (I'm looking at you, Heatwave's gun)?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I suspend my disbelief all the time when watching TV shows, superhero shows in particular.
    And other science facts

I'm a huge proponent of making sure a story works and makes sense. In my mind there is nothing worse than when a movie or show contradicts itself or has a complete logical fallacy.

That's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that the show is asking us to not ask certain questions until its ready to answer them. The first season of The Flash is already jam packed with amazing stuff; if they choose to not explain the Pipeline in detail until later (or at all for that matter, though I doubt that this would happen), then I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hell, it's not like this show's strong suit is always making perfect sense. How many times have we asked the question of why Barry doesn't use his power in X way to resolve a problem immediately (it's not like you used phasing two weeks ago, Barry.)? How many times have we just said "Yeah, alright" when an outright outrageous scientific concept was brought up (I'm looking at you, Heatwave's gun)?

Here's the issue though: Arrow lampshaded this for us. Arrow's prison is on an island. It's an argus facility. Guards deliver supplies. We've seen all these things as background elements. They all totally make sense.

Flash posed the exact same question, but has utterly failed to include these hints. Everytime you see that prison, the same problem is right there. And they show it a lot.

• Options
    And other science facts

Here's the issue though: Arrow lampshaded this for us. Arrow's prison is on an island. It's an argus facility. Guards deliver supplies. We've seen all these things as background elements. They all totally make sense.

Flash posed the exact same question, but has utterly failed to include these hints. Everytime you see that prison, the same problem is right there. And they show it a lot.
    Yeah, and how long did it take for Arrow to get around to detailing their prison?

What? Two full seasons? Certainly Flash should have already... wait, no, they're still in their first season. I'm afraid that Arrow isn't a great example for your side of the argument.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    And other science facts

Yeah, and how long did it take for Arrow to get around to detailing their prison?

What? Two full seasons? Certainly Flash should have already... wait, no, they're still in their first season. I'm afraid that Arrow isn't a great example for your side of the argument.

For two full seasons Arrow either killed people or put them in regular jail operated by the police and justice system.

• Options
    And other science facts

For two full seasons Arrow either killed people or put them in regular jail operated by the police and justice system.

Ah yes. In the Starling City Criminal Justice System, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: Detective Lance, who investigates crime, and the Arrow, who murders the offenders. These are their stories.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular

Hah, that's actually one of my favorite episodes. To get all Lois and Clark nerd on you, they time-travel that away at the end of that episode (because somehow if HG Wells drops them off in their own time, but before he ever met them, they won't remember it ever happening?) and later on at the end of the season she does figure it out on her own in a way that is very similar to how Iris figures it out.

...I thought about putting this in spoilers, but this show is twenty years old (I am SO old :bigfrown:), so no.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The prison is a plot hole, flat out.

It's not an important hole in the scheme of things. But it definitely bugs me every time it's brought up.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    The weird thing about the prison in Flash is that you always see people being loaded in the same cell.

So do they have a machine that moves these prison cells around?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The weird thing about the prison in Flash is that you always see people being loaded in the same cell.

So do they have a machine that moves these prison cells around?

they have literally shown this dude

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Now they just have to stop having Joe trying make all her life choices for her without her knowledge.

• Options

Hah, that's actually one of my favorite episodes. To get all Lois and Clark nerd on you, they time-travel that away at the end of that episode (because somehow if HG Wells drops them off in their own time, but before he ever met them, they won't remember it ever happening?) and later on at the end of the season she does figure it out on her own in a way that is very similar to how Iris figures it out.

...I thought about putting this in spoilers, but this show is twenty years old (I am SO old :bigfrown:), so no.

There was a clip that was linked right after that, with L&C sitting in their apartment, Lois talking about how so-and-so doesn't seem bad, and the picks up Clark's glasses and goes "...but what do I know? These glasses fooled me for two years." Followed by her trying them on and Clark jokingly going "Where's Lois? She was sitting right where you are..."

Too young to watch most of it, but what I remember was that the show was very self-aware of it's comic book origins and the silliness that comes with it, and in a good way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU

That scene is the best scene in the entire show. Like in every episode and season. Its also the best scene in all of Superman movies/tv shows(tho not Cartoons).

Its also explains why Secret Identities are so fucking hated.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Marvel made me care about a talking tree and racoon, and now DC has me hyped about a talking gorilla with psycic powers, and rolling with speedforce as an obvious answer to everything.

The end of time is upon us.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular

There was a clip that was linked right after that, with L&C sitting in their apartment, Lois talking about how so-and-so doesn't seem bad, and the picks up Clark's glasses and goes "...but what do I know? These glasses fooled me for two years." Followed by her trying them on and Clark jokingly going "Where's Lois? She was sitting right where you are..."

Too young to watch most of it, but what I remember was that the show was very self-aware of it's comic book origins and the silliness that comes with it, and in a good way.

My love of that show comes from the fact that I was a teenage girl and Dean Cain was <3 and I ate up all the romance stuff. I had also liked an older show called Moonlighting (Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd) and Lois and Clark was trying to do that same vein of fast talking banter crime solving coolness. I'm not gonna lie; a lot of the 3rd & 4th seasons, well, they don't hold up very well, and I can watch them mostly due to nostalgia. That show is just so nineties. I love it. I could probably write a paper about it. I'll stop now. :)

Anyway, Tempus, the guy from the future was really great at that...I don't know what the trope is called, but that sort of breaking the fourth wall? bit. They do make fun of the glasses shtick another time, in Season 3. Tempus comes back and kidnaps Lois and HG Wells but this time takes them to an alternate universe where there's no Superman, and alternate Metropolis is the open carry movement's wet dream. Clark is there, but he's just really timid and doesn't want to get involved. So Lois convinces him that he should help people and creates Superman, and they have an argument about the glasses thing, and won't people be able to tell it's him and she tells him with certainty that it will work and his identity will stay secret...and then it doesn't work AT ALL. Everyone recognizes him instantly. It's great.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    There's another episode in L & C where Lois accidentally takes Superman's powers from him and into herself. So she's now got Kryptonian abilities and he's just a man.

At first it's just Lois quietly stopping catastrophe's like an out of control van, and then Clark literally running over on foot in his Superman costume going "I did, it was me I saved the people" and trying not to run out of breath. I mention it because it was hilariously ridiculous.

Then they got her a costume and called her Ultra Woman. When she saved some people, Perry White and Jimmy Olsen were coming over to meet her and she freaked out, saying that they're going to recognise her.

Clark was like "just be cool they totally won't even recognise you". And they didn't.

It was a clever little jab at how the citizens just can't put 2 and 2 together when it comes to superheroes.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    There's another episode in L & C where Lois accidentally takes Superman's powers from him and into herself. So she's now got Kryptonian abilities and he's just a man.

At first it's just Lois quietly stopping catastrophe's like an out of control van, and then Clark literally running over on foot in his Superman costume going "I did, it was me I saved the people" and trying not to run out of breath. I mention it because it was hilariously ridiculous.

Then they got her a costume and called her Ultra Woman. When she saved some people, Perry White and Jimmy Olsen were coming over to meet her and she freaked out, saying that they're going to recognise her.

Clark was like "just be cool they totally won't even recognise you". And they didn't.

It was a clever little jab at how the citizens just can't put 2 and 2 together when it comes to superheroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4759XtejU

• Options
    GRODD LIVES!!

ending/teaser spoilers
    So, the teaser at the end made it seem like the big team-up fight episode is next week, and even assuming Arrow is an episode ahead, that means Ollie is still in brainwashed Al-Sahim mode, I wonder how Barry gets him to help while Ollie is still Heir to the Demon

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.