As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In space no one can hear you crap yourself in a locker [Alien: Isolation]

MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
In 1979 Ridley Scott released this film about a ragtag bunch of space workers who found a magical space egg that gave birth to their new magical buddy and together they went on a magnificent journey where they learned love, and the meaning of friendship. Sadly everyone perished except for a cat and the coolest woman in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEVY_lonKf4

Now some assholeswonderful people at The Creative Assembly, who are known for the Total War series of all things, have created the next step in virtual pants-pooping technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meNE4CPtnCo

Now as we all know, after the events of the original film Ripley is in hypersleep until she finally wakes up a bajillion years later in a hospital to take part in a sequel that completely misses the point of the original. Anyway, the big part of the opening scenes of that film show that Ripley pretty much slept through her daughter's entire life. In the special edition you can even see her!

XzVTwCk.png
(Fun fact: That's actually Elizabeth Inglis, Sigourney Weaver's mom! Creative Assembly even modeled Amanda Ripley's young looks after her)

In this game you get to play as young Amanda Ripley as she tries to find out just what in the flying space-hell happened to the Nostromo 15 years ago. Her little ragtag Weyland-Yutani crew find out the old heap of a space station called Sevastopol may have gotten some sort of evidence on the whole thing so it's off to a beautiful gas giant in the middle of fucking space nowhere to get some answers. Of course we all know shit hits the fan before you even get there and you find yourself alone with nothing but your wits and the Ripley will-to-survive gene.

I've been streaming this game the past couple nights and it's pretty fun! The human AI is dumb as bricks but the Alien itself is scary as shit. Take a look at an early bit where I poop myself:
http://youtu.be/g1WKZv6hPJc

BdVvFJu.jpg
hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Uhhhggggggg I want this game somebody buy me this gaaaaaaaame

@Veretas you have a nice voice.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Oh gosh oh gee thanks :3

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Haha that was excellent.

This game looks fucking cool. I love the visual design, I love how authentic to the film all the scrappy future tech is. I love how the music was going full on poop-pants while you were in that locker.

I am kind of done with horror games I think. But boy do I enjoy watching other people play them.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ I jumped a mile at that clip Veretas, I totally worked myself up.

Veretas wrote: »
    Oh gosh oh gee thanks :3

i_hope_senpai_will_notice_me_by_flameneverdies-d5f2wza.png

this doesn't have anything to do with video games but I've kind of had a crush on you for like forever OKAY BYE

goodbye forever

The star of this game is easily the environment. They absolutely fucking nailed the aesthetic from the original film. Down the to the CRT monitors and the analog control mechanisms. It's hard not to stop and look at everything, really taking in the little details and the hundreds of tiny nods to Ron Cobb's original designs and the film itself.

The sound and lighting really push the game even further into absolutely gorgeous territory. It's a shame the character models and animations themselves are....kinda meh in comparison.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    Hahaha geez that's what I get for taking forever to write up stuff. D'aww shucks!

BdVvFJu.jpg
    Yes yes scary video games yes quite

Alien, the movie, is Mostly Good! I saw it for the first time only a few years ago. I super want to play this! It's been a while since my last survival horror game; it's not a cup I drink from often but when I do I drink deeply.

I wish this was going to be in the redbox. Speaking of which, what the hell is the evil within? I saw it's gonna be in there and I'll probably check it out but I know literally nothing about it except "spoopy, maybe?"

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    This game is so good

PSN- AHermano
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    this is one of the games i'm waiting to play 'til i get an oculus rift

Hiding under a hospital bed from a guy with a gun, then seeing the Alien unfurl itself from a vent behind the guy.

I couldn't see what happened next, but I heard it , it didn't end well

PSN- AHermano
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I also love how they went with a woman protagonist for this game and that she is pretty rad

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I also love how they went with a woman protagonist for this game and that she is pretty rad

Yeah! I'm not playing this myself but I am following a Lets Play and enjoying it. Sounds daft but I also like her little responses, like gasps or swearing and sounding scared, I'm glad they made her have scared reactions, some games don't have any reactions like that when they should.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Hiding under a hospital bed from a guy with a gun, then seeing the Alien unfurl itself from a vent behind the guy.

I couldn't see what happened next, but I heard it , it didn't end well

It's even better when you cause it by tossing a noisemaker at someone.

Get him, my pet! Mwahahahaha!

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    This was written by Dan Abnett, which helps add even more awesome to the game!

Also near as I've been able to figure out, Sevastopol is the same model of refinery that was being towed by the Nostromo on the return trip from Thedus.

070.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1321394196929

Also also I loved the save mechanism aesthetic, all having to wait for check-sums being run on a tape drive with a handle.

I think what they use as save points is neat, but I'd prefer being able to save whenever I want.

They should release DLC for this game where you have to find and save a cat

alien001.jpg?1359090456

Just after segment 7 spoilers
    So...uhhhh...I just got the flamethrower and decided to stop for now. Just as I was about to quit the game, I noticed Taylor through a window. I thought to myself "I should go see if she or what's-his-face have anything to say." As I entered the room, I realized I might as well wait until my next play session.

Then, I realized I hadn't tested out the flamethrower. Taylor was right there. I didn't think it would do anything. I was wrong.

Fun fact: Killing a friendly NPC gives you a game over.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    This was written by Dan Abnett, which helps add even more awesome to the game!

Also near as I've been able to figure out, Sevastopol is the same model of refinery that was being towed by the Nostromo on the return trip from Thedus.

070.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1321394196929

Also also I loved the save mechanism aesthetic, all having to wait for check-sums being run on a tape drive with a handle.

that is a fucking RAD model

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    this game has some real good things going for it, but it's kinda a huge mess that goes on for way too long

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The alien's dynamic AI kinda becomes more frustrating than scary after the first few encounters.

But man, the environment design is incredible.

IKknkhU.gif
    yeah

it kinda sounds like I'm shitting on this game, and I am to an extent, but it's because there is so much the game does right, but it does just enough wrong to be fucking tragic

oh look I flamed the alien for the 50th time and it charged me and ran away and did like 1/3rd of my health and oh look 20 seconds later there it is again

oh hey time to turn on another generator

oh, ripley is going to call out again to inquire if anyone is there

making a female lead, the sound design, the environment, the way hacking works, alien ai

all of those are neat, initially

also, the villain is the only person that makes any fucking sense, but they had to make him also be EVIL

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    For me the problem with the AI is mostly in the patrol routes. There was a point where I was stuck in one small room for 7 minutes just because the alien would investigate, leave and come running back a few seconds later. I didn't have enough time between investigations to head into the mostly-barren hallway and find a new piece of cover.

Oh, and save points with no checkpoints in between is bullshit.

IKknkhU.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Stilt, in those spots you're basically supposed to step out, plant a bomb, then flat out book it. The alien will chase and get stunned, giving you time to hide again.

Oh cool a game-ending bug awesome :+1:

A locked door that shouldn't be locked and I can't get any further

PSN- AHermano
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    So is the game basically one alien versus you?

Also how long is it.

Because it sounds like a fun concept but I'm just a bit worried it may end up getting a bit samey.

There's other enemies, not just the Alien

Most people are saying the game goes on too long though

PSN- AHermano
    Blake T wrote: »

Also how long is it.

Because it sounds like a fun concept but I'm just a bit worried it may end up getting a bit samey.

wait for it to be 20 quatloos USD or less

Blake T wrote: »

Also how long is it.

There's more than just the alien. It's also kind of stupid long. Something like 20 hours. From what I understand the 'Crew Expendable' DLC, where you play scenes from the original film, are fucking awesome, though.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I need to play this game something fierce. It looks super spooky and I'm in the mood for something spooky!

dN0T6ur.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Isn't there also a survival mode that just gives you some objectives and a timer and some bonus stuff to do and says "go"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    Some locker highlights from the stream the other night, sorry for the awful jump cuts.

http://youtu.be/qc6cgciGylw

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I have been streaming this as well! I am not very far, just into the section in the medical area where you have to deal with the alien for an extended period of time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have been streaming this as well! I am not very far, just into the section in the medical area where you have to deal with the alien for an extended period of time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In space no-one can hear you doublepost

I meant to play this a bunch over the weekend and it just never worked out, so right now I am making a COMMITMENT to play and stream a solid couple hours at least of this bad boy tonight, probably around 10:30 eastern.

I guarantee there will actually be an alien this time. @Grey Ghost@JohnHam‌

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]