As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go find the new [Star Citizen] thread

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Woot! hospital bill is paid off! new video card for Star Citizen is next! (or new tv) Probably going to wait for them to announce a release date for SQ42 though.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Woot! hospital bill is paid off! new video card for Star Citizen is next! (or new tv) Probably going to wait for them to announce a release date for SQ42 though.

Unless your current GPU is garbo I'd wait a little bit before doing any significant upgrades for Star Citizen since the "final" product is still so far out. Better to get the TV first and a new GPU later I think.

A new TV is still going to be as functional six months from now as it is today, but waiting to buy a GPU will only get you more power and/or a lower pricetag, and as more time goes (and more features get added/the scope gets larger/optimization gets better) by we should be getting a better idea of what sort of video cards Star Citizen really needs to be playable.

Either way, congratulations on getting that monkey off your back.

• Options
    Thanks! I've got a GTX 570 which can barely load the game as is. I know the game hasn't been optimized yet, so yeah, I probably will get the TV first. I was going to build a whole new rig since my current one is about 3 years old, but that will have to wait.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Star Citizen 2.2 is now live!

Full Patch Notes

Highlights:

The party system revamp might actually make it worthwile to try grouping up this patch.

causality.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Mmm, flight ready Sabre. That took less time than I expected.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    does 2.2 come with a game that actually runs smooth?
    :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    does 2.2 come with a game that actually runs smooth?
    :\
    That seems to be based on pure luck. I never had a problem running SC, and I used a 580 GTX.
    "used", because that card just died on me a few hours ago. Gonna be a few days or weeks before I can try out the new patch :?

causality.png
  • Options
    Whoa, tis been some time since I loaded the hangar up. Might just be my imagination, but it seems to run a lot smoother than I remember. Always felt like I was fighting the controls on previous builds. Guess they have been doing some optimizing.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Whoa, tis been some time since I loaded the hangar up. Might just be my imagination, but it seems to run a lot smoother than I remember. Always felt like I was fighting the controls on previous builds. Guess they have been doing some optimizing.

This new build runs much better on my machine than the previous one did.

I just fired 2.2 up and farted around in my Omega for a bit. I came back to switch ships to my LN so I could go fuck up some pirate scum and on approach saw that someone had left their Sabre unattended on one of the landing pads because he was playing gunner for someone else. Naturally I set my ship down and borrowed the Sabre for a while. I cruised over to the ICC Probe and got the mission to check out some coordinates in a nearby asteroid field. I cruise there and find the wreck, listen to a sad final log from the flight rec, and then right as I'm about to QT back to the probe to report it suddenly I'm floating in space. The guy who owned the Sabre I had stolen decided to log out to change the weapons on it so I ended up here:
    ZK0sy0S.jpg

Alone, with no ship, over half a million miles from Port Olisar.

Are LTI Archimedes still worth anything? I have four pledges of them that I can buy back (during the concept sale I bought one, melted it after 24 hours, bought another one with the credit, melted after 24 hours, etc this way I would have LTI tokens I could buy back at a later date if I wanted more ships) but if I could offload them and make a couple extra bucks in the process I'd rather do that.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    hey hello thread

I am a guy who knows very little about star citizen other than the following:
    - it looked maybe a little too promising to back initially
    - I know enough about EVE to know I cannot afford to get into EVE (financially and otherwise)
    - my dad has the Wing Commander series and I remember him having a blast with those

and that's basically just what I knew when the kickstarter was up. In short, enough for me to file it away as "maybe buy later when this is released and has some critical/community feedback around it."

So fast forward to now, and as best I can gather... Star Citizen is not a thing anymore? I remember seeing stuff this past summer that was more or less "this was all a giant scam" and all I've ever seen of the game is people looking at / glitching through ships in their space garages.

Can somebody give me a summary of what the deal with this is

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »

Even the summary would fill a book, or series of books.
    So story short: things are going smoothly
    Story not so short: we've had a kind of arena combat going for a year now (and option to go into a hangar to stare at our ships for couple years).
    They recently gave us a larger open area with random enemy spawns and quests (kinda, i think) as well as a planetside social hub.
    Most of the groundwork has been laid down on physics, and they are now working on locations and more detailed game mechanics, as well as procedural generation of planets.
    The single player game is being released, optimisticly, sometime late this year, possibly early next year.

There has been lot nontroversies from poorly written articles to downright intentional bullshit being spread by people who hate the whole enterprise.
    Nothing that has been shown to be true, and lot of that has been shown to be completely false by later developments.

They recently uncoupled the game modes so that now you have to buy single player and multiplayer separately (still costing no more than average AAA game), how you want to see this, probably depends on how badly you think of CIG and Chris Roberts.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    hey hello thread

- I know enough about EVE to know I cannot afford to get into EVE (financially and otherwise)
    - my dad has the Wing Commander series and I remember him having a blast with those

and that's basically just what I knew when the kickstarter was up. In short, enough for me to file it away as "maybe buy later when this is released and has some critical/community feedback around it."

So fast forward to now, and as best I can gather... Star Citizen is not a thing anymore? I remember seeing stuff this past summer that was more or less "this was all a giant scam" and all I've ever seen of the game is people looking at / glitching through ships in their space garages.

Right now you can preorder the single player or multiplayer game for $45. They also have combo packs with both for $60. Not a bad deal for a AAA game. The main thing you should ask yourself is if you actually like playing space sims. It's a genre that's been dormant for quite a while. From what I've experienced in the alpha build so far, Star Citizen is skewing slightly more towards sim than space shootem up. In other words, management of systems and a good knowledge how your ships handles in the simulated physics are key to kicking ass.

Most of the people here are veterans from the golden era of pc space sims. My first computer came with Wing Commander II, and my favorite game is Tie Fighter. If you've never played a space sim I would recommend trying some out before preording Star Citizen, or at least waiting for impressions of the single player before making a decision.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Hey so which area can you call up a ship with other folks around? I'd like to check that out later today?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Hey so which area can you call up a ship with other folks around? I'd like to check that out later today?

I think that area is called Crusader. Although, I haven't actually tried that one yet...but now that the Sabre is flight-ready, it might be high time to give it a whirl.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    One of the funnier pieces of "evidence" used to backup claims, was the one where the "whisttleblowers" said CIG was wasting money on expensive voice actors.
    Funny, because triple A VA cast was one of the bloody funding goals.

Even funnier was when they told us that Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman were part of the cast, and tried to use that to verify other claims.
    When backers had been speculating about those two for months, if not longer.

Personally, i've never been a big fan of space sims, flight sims or sims in general.
    But something about this game really grabbed my attention.
    Persistent universe, ai driven economy, huge non combat ships, advanced AI you can hire to work for you...
    It's going to be awesome once we get PU working past simple combat simulation

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Personally, i've never been a big fan of space sims, flight sims or sims in general.
    But something about this game really grabbed my attention.

I can't wait to see how this pans out in Star Citizen. Having fans of Space Sims and/or FPS combined and how someone could theoretically never pilot a ship in this game and still have a blast,

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    hey hello thread

Maybe a more concise answer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

LD50 on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    LD50 wrote: »
    hey hello thread

Maybe a more concise answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

Done in engine.
    Nope, nothing to show for 100 million or so backer money.
    Utter failure in every way possible. :D

Or, to quote one of the youtube commentors: So... what you're saying is... My computer is going to explode, right?

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    hey hello thread

Done in engine.

Or, to quote one of the youtube commentors: So... what you're saying is... My computer is going to explode, right?

All I really want to know is
    when this is going to be a thing that is a complete enough experience to have meaningful critical reviews?
    I understand that as something with what seems to be every flavor of "early access" imaginable going on that might be a fuzzy line, but I'm basically asking if there's any game here yet to even make judgements on.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    hey hello thread

Done in engine.

when this is going to be a thing that is a complete enough experience to have meaningful critical reviews?
    I understand that as something with what seems to be every flavor of "early access" imaginable going on that might be a fuzzy line, but I'm basically asking if there's any game here yet to even make judgements on.

Sort of but not really. I would hold off until squadron 42 is out before I tried to make any real judgments.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm thinking probably another year. The good news is, unlike most crowd-funded games, there's no longer a worry of it not being made at all if you wait, so if you're not sold already you have nothing to lose by biding your time.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    What gameplay is currently available?

An arena and one other mode?

I'm having trouble finding details.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    hey hello thread

Done in engine.

My answer: Never because critiques from game reviewers have always and will always be an absolute joke that never approach the level of meaningful.

Real answer: Not yet really no. All you're likely to find right now is people trying to disguise clickbait as doom. The release of the first part of Squadron 42 is probably going to be the first point where trying to review it would make sense but personally I'd argue the Persistent Universe being up and running for awhile would make the most sense.

tl:dr- Don't worry about it. If you're iffy at all on the project save your money and wait and see how it turns out.

• Options
    hey hello thread

Done in engine.

My answer: Never because critiques from game reviewers have always and will always be an absolute joke that never approach the level of meaningful.

Real answer: Not yet really no. All you're likely to find right now is people trying to disguise clickbait as doom. The release of the first part of Squadron 42 is probably going to be the first point where trying to review it would make sense but personally I'd argue the Persistent Universe being up and running for awhile would make the most sense.

tl:dr- Don't worry about it. If you're iffy at all on the project save your money and wait and see how it turns out.

Man, I know we'll never get one, but I still want a public apology from Lizzy Finnegan and The Escapist for the goosery they tried to pull. (for the newbies in the thread, google "Star Citizen Escapist"

I'm partial to this summary, myself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dytClaPS1xo

but yeah, current gaming journalism = sad state. Basically, If I was going to do any research, I'd go to youtube and see all the streamers showing off their gaming sessions on the mini-persistent univers and judge for yourself, but as usual, remember that everything is in pre-alpha so a lot are going to glitch out.

• Options
    hey hello thread

Done in engine.

If you're not certain about this, i'd wait until they release Squadron 42 which is anywhere from 6 months to a year at this point (if your optimistic) before buying it.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »
    What gameplay is currently available?

An arena and one other mode?

I'm having trouble finding details.

The hanger module, where you can look at your ships. The arena commander module where you can fly your ships against waves of ai opponents (and maybe competitive multiplayer too?). The social module, where you can explore a planet-side city segment on foot with other players. And then there's crusader, which is a space station plus a largeish sector of space with a bunch of different locations and quests and stuff, all with other players.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Wife just bought me a laptop with an i7 and GTX 960M. You can guess what I started downloading first. It's been two or three years and I've never stepped foot in Hannah's Misfortune.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    Looks like they are having another free fly weekend and unlocking every flyable ship for everyone this weekend.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    This looks like a thing I want?

I'm reading it properly that I would get the Aurora MR for Star Citizen and already purchase access to Squadron 42?

I want to try Star Citizen out but I also don't feel like paying for something dumb that's not what I wanted. Everything is so cryptic from a beginner's perspective. Is there a way to fly a small Firefly class freighter around without shelling out cash right now to see if I even like the gameplay?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016

I'm reading it properly that I would get the Aurora MR for Star Citizen and already purchase access to Squadron 42?

I want to try Star Citizen out but I also don't feel like paying for something dumb that's not what I wanted. Everything is so cryptic from a beginner's perspective. Is there a way to fly a small Firefly class freighter around without shelling out cash right now to see if I even like the gameplay?

It's funny that you should ask that! There's a free-fly event going on where you can sign up and fly all the ships that are currently available in a flying state for the next couple of days: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15239-Roundup-Free-Fly-222-Patch-And-Other-Updates

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

So the package you linked to comes with Squadron 42, the single player, and Star Citizen, the mmo. You don't have to pay anything for bigger ships once the mmo comes out. Pretty much everything is meant to be obtainable through normal gameplay. For instance, the devs have stated that earning enough money for a Constellation should take about 40 hours of game time.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info! I loaded the game into the flight training and it looked great up to the point where I'm free looking around in the cockpit where the frame rate dropped to 0 and it would take a minute for it to get back to playable but only last a few seconds. I tried turning down the settings but still the same thing.

I'll try again tonight with a closer monitoring of the situation but my GTX 970 should do the job, yeah?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the info! I loaded the game into the flight training and it looked great up to the point where I'm free looking around in the cockpit where the frame rate dropped to 0 and it would take a minute for it to get back to playable but only last a few seconds. I tried turning down the settings but still the same thing.

I'll try again tonight with a closer monitoring of the situation but my GTX 970 should do the job, yeah?

I get the same thing and I'm not sure what's up. It'll freeze every few seconds, but in between freezes I get a good framerate.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Yeah lots of people get that freeze bug, it's not the 970.

• Options

The game isn't optimized. I've noticed that looking around the cockpits on just about any ship hurts my fps. Thinking it's due to more detail in those areas. I run the game on low and get a decent framerate with a few hiccups here and there.

One thing to keep in mind is that this game is meant to push pc hardware to its limit. Hell, the M-50 has over 100,000 polygons alone and that's one of the smallest ships you can get.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

I get the same thing and I'm not sure what's up. It'll freeze every few seconds, but in between freezes I get a good framerate.

The persistent universe part runs great (baring disconnects), but just something about the tutorial is completely fucked up. Which makes it hard to actually operate in the "PU"

So good luck, and hope they fix it someday, it WAS working perfect at the launch of 2.0 for a week, then the first hotfix/patch fubared it.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, the tutorial is 100% fucked up. It doesn't work right at all for a bunch of people. Performance in the PU isn't all that great (something about being online), but the single player performance is pretty good, actually.

• Options
    Yup, game totally runs fine outside the tutorial. So that's good news! Now I just have to learn all the controls and map them where I want on my flight stick :+1:

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.