As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies] III: Let's All Go To The Lobby

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9QAPch2o6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RwOlMYxLs

That's what you do when you're at a movie

This is another thread about movies

6F32U1X.png

• Options
    Here's the thing I had to make another thread for:

The Dissolve says BIRDMAN is pretty much completely awful, and it reveals just how much of a pretentious fraud Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu truly is

This is possibly the angriest review of a movie I've read on the Dissolve yet that doesn't have Adam Sandler in it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Saw this morning that Inside Llewyn Davis is up on Amazon Prime (it's still Lovefilm to me) in the UK, so, that's pretty neat. Been wanting to watch that for ages now.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't have any opinion on birdman either way

But I have read a few of the other reviews and that kind of reads like "I hate this guy so fucking much" more than an actual review of the film in light of the other reviews (It has a 92% on RT)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Everytime I see the trailer for Nightcrawler I want to see it more.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah the review I read on the avclub about birdman is that it's pretty ok, not revolutionary but a good movie.

• Options
    well now I can't find it but it was a part of their coverage of a film festival

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I want to scream uncontrollably into a mirror once in my life.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    well now I can't find it but it was a part of their coverage of a film festival

http://www.avclub.com/article/nyff-2014-birdman-closes-fest-edward-snowden-suppl-210381 here ya go

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Snowpiercer on blu ray next week. Think I'll buy it unseen.

• Options

hasn't everyone already done this

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

The Dissolve says BIRDMAN is pretty much completely awful, and it reveals just how much of a pretentious fraud Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu truly is

This is possibly the angriest review of a movie I've read on the Dissolve yet that doesn't have Adam Sandler in it

Oh man, there's a great anecdote down in the comments from Mike D'Angelo, about Harmony Korine being a shit writer in college

It tickled me pink, I tell you what

• Options

hasn't everyone already done this

I think I was still in control when I did it

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    Snowpiercer on blu ray next week. Think I'll buy it unseen.

I liked it a lot, but there are a ton of people who didn't and I can't really say they are wrong about it. There are a lot of things in the movie that just work for some people and not others.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We saw This Is Where I Leave You last week. Despite some absolutely hilarious scenes between Jason Bateman and Tina Fey, it was probably the most terrifically sexist (towards BOTH genders, mind you) film I've seen in decades.

Good lord, please don't see it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Oh man, there's a great anecdote down in the comments from Mike D'Angelo, about Harmony Korine being a shit writer in college

It tickled me pink, I tell you what

"IRIS IN: on the anus of a goat" has confirmed pretty much everything I suspected about Harmony Korine

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    i'm not even sure what "fraud" means as a description for a creator of fiction

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9QAPch2o6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3RwOlMYxLs

That's what you do when you're at a movie

This is another thread about movies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s13hXBX8w

Now this movie was on Tv the other day at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U36W5658MDw

Out of curiousity I went to IMDB

It's got the main plot and like 3 or 4 sub plots and it was horrible!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Thank you for posting this, I was going to get around to berating Mr G for leaving that out of the OP later

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    So there is a new Nicholas Sparks adaptation out called The Best of Me

Here is The Dissolve's review

But that's not the important part

Here is The Dissolve's extra section where they spoil the two twists of the movie, which are...

which are...

just read it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Amazing.

• Options
    oh, RE: The General Prologue of Canterbury Tales

it is definitely falling out of tradition in the general high school curriculum, but the traditional high school english senior for decades was forced to memorize the first 18 lines.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I actually did not read Canterbury Tales at ALL during high school.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Thank you for posting this, I was going to get around to berating Mr G for leaving that out of the OP later

That was simultaneously the only good part of that movie and also completely worth the cost of admission.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Here is The Dissolve's extra section where they spoil the two twists of the movie, which are...

which are...

just read it

SPAAAAAAAAAAAARKS

This might beat (Safe Haven spoilers)
    Your new best friend is actually the ghost of that hot widower's wife, and she's been vetting you to make sure that you're good enough for him

Probably not though, that was the most bullshit insane one

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

which are...

just read it

Oh ho, The Best Of Me.

Mr Sparks, how very clever.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

which are...

just read it

Oh ho, The Best Of Me.

Mr Sparks, how very clever.

Oh Jesus

I had not caught that

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    oh, RE: The General Prologue of Canterbury Tales

it is definitely falling out of tradition in the general high school curriculum, but the traditional high school english senior for decades was forced to memorize the first 18 lines.

I was in AP English throughout High School and we never touched the Canterbury Tales.

Like if you walk up to someone who went to high school in America and say

Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote

They'll go into a sort of fugue state and reply

The droghte of March hath perced to the roote

You are like the nerdiest Sleeper Agent

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah Langly I think you're overestimating how many people read the Canterbury Tales, let alone untranslated, in high school duder

You're just a weird sleeper agent whose activation is impossible to work into a conversation

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yeah Langly I think you're overestimating how many people read the Canterbury Tales, let alone untranslated, in high school duder

You're just a weird sleeper agent whose activation is impossible to work into a conversation

But when it does work
    watch out

• Options
    I read it in high school, but it was because I was dating a pretentious Super Nerd and I was tired of him lecturing me about it.

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    we read a couple of the chapters in ap english

i think we spent like 3 weeks on just the chanticleer story

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    In my 11th or 12th AP English we did Canterbury Tales, but we split into groups and each group presented a project based on one of the tales. Naturally, I learned basically nothing about any of the Tales.

my group made an entirely incomprehensible video project for the Pardoner's Tale involving legos and like a dance montage intro that got us a passing grade against all odds

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    We read the first page of the prologue in Middle English

And then read excerpts

But I'm a big ol' nerd who actually owns a copy of the Canterbury Tales still

And I would probably not recognize that quote

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah sorry what I meant was he overestimated the amount of people who read the Canterbury Tales in high school and actually remember anything outside of the basic plot

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Canterbury Tales is an important work, but I think it's better for high school students to be reading Dickens or Shakespeare in class. Easier to decipher and more easily applicable/relate-able for students. (Shakespeare's stuff especially. Dude knew how to write characters you can empathize with.)

• Options
    Since we are already talking about books, my sister texted by twin brother and me to ask for a book recommendation for 5 major books that she's missed or put off reading. She listed a few that she already had on the list and my brother and I both texted back "Ulysses"

Nerdiest Twin moment.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I never read the Canterbury Tales in high school.

I guess I would have if I had done AP English but I did College English instead...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    oh and movies i guess: I watched two movies on a plane the other day

EDGE OF TOMORROW: fun movie! I give it 0 planes, which means i would even watch it while not on a plane. not that i'll probably ever watch it again, as the nature of the movie made me feel like i've already seen it 15 times. but in a good way! great performances by CRUISE, BLUNT, and even EDGE. i do wish it'd gone for an R, though. the bloodlessness of the conflict colored it all as a bit less traumatic than maybe i thought it should feel, and--slightly related--the movie flirted with an interest in Cruise's desensitization to the proceedings but never really allowed it to creep in as much as I thought it could've/should've. Which is fine for a popcorn real-life speedrun movie, really, but I saw capacity and tone for more than just popcorn. the abstract physicality of the mimics was a minor sticking point in the visuals department, but the human side of the combat was great.

NEED FOR SPEED: this movie is too long! but it's actually a decent Fast&Furious-alike. The main characters are all immense fuckin dorks, but, given enough time, end up pretty lovable for their unwavering, brotastic camaraderie. None of them are super distinct and the one that is marked for death is so marked for death, but they're not the worst (despite the unremarked-on horrendousness of their gleefully reckless driving at all times). Imogen Poots was my fave, despite her cliched introduction as The Girl, but does well enough in the role and the movie at least lets her have fun. Michael Keaton shows up via webcam to be a weirdo and I kinda liked it. The bloated length also allows some kinda interesting (a charitable adjective, but for the unambitious mold I'll go with it) pacing, in that the inciting incident of the movie's main plot takes up the first 30 minutes or something instead of being the pre-credits prologue you think it'd be. I was tired by the time of the last race, but up til that point the car stuff was pretty good.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Why does that whale make a jet noise

This discussion has been closed.