As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beez in the [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral just play Dragonfall.

I totally need to! I have the special edition and I love Shadowrun and I liked Dead Man's Switch.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Every Final Fantasy game since 7 has had an incomprehensible story.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    There isn't much strategy or customization in CT if I recall. The combat isn't terribly easy - if you're not grinding levels, you do have to play pretty smart and make the right choices for each character's turn in terms of ability use, priority target, healing vs offense, etc.

But it definitely isn't a compelling deep game. I mean it's really old. I don't think any of those SNES RPGs are particularly good games.

Recent JRPGs are obsessed with baroque character customization that is pretty bleh to me though. A simple story to play through is pretty refreshing.

I just bought Wasteland 2, if you're looking for customization, though. Holy shit. There's a skill for repairing toasters.

The original Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs evar. I know I've waxed poetically about it here before.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Anyway, here is the final fruit of my labor!

Twoot twoot tweedidly twoot.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

The story in Dragonfall is good, but it's only moderately interactive, and the combat is a good light tactical game but has only superficial party customization (for those who are into that)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I find it really suspicious how the AI in Magic 2015 constantly gets such an excellent starting hand and mana curve without mulligans.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant was a JRPG I enjoyed a lot. Partly for it's humor (<3 Joachim) and partly because the combat system was exploitable. I challenged myself to alpha strike every enemy and I was able to make customization & tactical choices supporting alpha strikes as a coherent strategy.

Shadow Hearts best friends, yeah. That game did good things, and I regret giving that box away.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I turned wasteland 2 on and got to the character creation screen and, slightly drunk, said "okay I obviously have to be sober for this" and turned it off

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Trains are a crappy method of bulk freight transport.

I never get between a dude and his lift is all I'm saying.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    There isn't much strategy or customization in CT if I recall. The combat isn't terribly easy - if you're not grinding levels, you do have to play pretty smart and make the right choices for each character's turn in terms of ability use, priority target, healing vs offense, etc.

But it definitely isn't a compelling deep game. I mean it's really old. I don't think any of those SNES RPGs are particularly good games.

Recent JRPGs are obsessed with baroque character customization that is pretty bleh to me though. A simple story to play through is pretty refreshing.

I just bought Wasteland 2, if you're looking for customization, though. Holy shit. There's a skill for repairing toasters.

The original Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs evar. I know I've waxed poetically about it here before.

I should get back to playing it. I exploited the game so I could get as much experience as I wanted to by simply holding one of the arrow keys down and also got all my characters the best melee weapon you can get through the magic of the game's reset options.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Ate fried rice tonight.

This was important enough to post about.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

?

The big bad the government thought it could control turns out to be a threat to the world, that you have to defeat.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

The story in Dragonfall is good, but it's only moderately interactive, and the combat is a good light tactical game but has only superficial party customization (for those who are into that)

The directors cut improved on all parts of that.

I mean there is limited amount you can do still but the choices do have tactical impact.

Also you can finally equip allies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular

8 was pretty straightforward IMHO.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

8 featured time compression. Non.

X is simples. Big whale. Go kill it.

Oh but then there's the dream stuff...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    redx wrote: »

?

The big bad the government thought it could control turns out to be a threat to the world, that you have to defeat.

That's not the plot of 8.

Cinders on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    White Knight Chronicles is an RPG with some massive plot holes. One of the main villains has the ability to use what is basically a superweapon, and he knows the location of the superweapon. He also has an airship and an army. The first thing that happens in the game is not him getting this superweapon. No, that is one of the last thing that happens in the first game.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

8 featured time compression. Non.

X is simples. Big whale. Go kill it.

Oh but then there's the dream stuff...

Then the whole Aeon bullshit too.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 3.6

@21stCentury will create the new thread
    @Atomika is backup

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    360327865_dL436-L-2.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.