As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[American Dad!] - Now Available (in some counties) on Disney+'s Star

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That would be swell.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Last night's episode brought to you by RationalWiki!

And I still didn't pay attention to the LARP episode. So, yeah.

The LARP episode is ok. I think they could have done more with it if Stan and Francine swapped roles.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Catching up on some recent episodes:

-The Roger burns all his disguises episode was great, both with the robots made to feel burning and the b-story with Crossfit. I like to move it move it, and the crossfit guy's ability to totes swing that kettle bell and save the day was aces.

-Widow's episode, starts off strong with the Widow montage, loved the taco sign spinning (that was me honking the horn!), but it just doesn't land right. The b plot with the wrestlers was dumb and directly creepy with Principal Lewis' sweat stained sweatsuit.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Not a sweat suit. Long johns.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

That doesn't make it any less creepy.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    It's been a weird season. I can't say the episodes have been bad but they haven't been memorable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It wasn't supposed to be.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Should we tell him those aren't sweat stains too?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

Should we tell him those aren't sweat stains too?

Why ruin the surprise?

• Options
    But....but the armpits.....

The LARPing episode might be the funniest one this season, both the A and B plots were super solid.

• Options
    Watched season 10 on netflix.

LGBSteve really shows how the family guy writers have become actual bigots. Steve having a genuine crisis and none of the characters involved being judgemental or grossed out by it was really well done.
    Then on FG they call Gail quagmire an it and say she needs to use a hose in the backyard instead of a bathroom. Bravo fox

• Options
    Or Family Guy has become the show that is intentionally gross and dysfunctional. An animated version of Jackass or some other piece of shit cringe comedy..

I don't wholly disagree and have a hard time liking Family Guy like I used to. And I will never watch the blood brothers episode ever again. I'm just not sure I could actually condemn the whole show because they engage in terrible activities and incredibly insensitive jokes. Let's face it, American Dad is not above crass and disgusting jokes either.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    EDIT:

Fucking phone double posting.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Or Family Guy has become the show that is intentionally gross and dysfunctional. An animated version of Jackass or some other piece of shit cringe comedy..

I don't wholly disagree and have a hard time liking Family Guy like I used to. And I will never watch the blood brothers episode ever again. I'm just not sure I could actually condemn the whole show because they engage in terrible activities and incredibly insensitive jokes. Let's face it, American Dad is not above crass and disgusting jokes either.

I'm at my limit with Family Guy. Like With American Dad the joke is they're all terrible people but there's some humanity and hope for redemption that makes you like the characters. Family guy doesn't have that anymore. It's just nasty and mean spirited for no reason.

• Options
    American Dad has always been much better than people would give it credit for for this stuff, because they use the humor as a way to open up and not make it so taboo or preachy, frankly. Well, the first season did preachy and it sucked hard. You get more open ears when people see you making fun of everyone. This is why Greg and Terry are so good, because they're terrible people just like everyone else. They killed Michael!

• Options
    I miss the Iranian couple.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I have noticed in the more recent seasons that most everyone besides Roger, Avery, and Lewis have become better people more or less while those three have shot far in the opposite direction.

• Options
    It's a shame for Lewis because I really like the moments he had when he saw the werewolf attacking students. That was something to build off, I thought.

• Options
    It's a shame for Lewis because I really like the moments he had when he saw the werewolf attacking students. That was something to build off, I thought.

They did! He completely lost his mind

• Options
    'Trapped in a Locker' was good. I like when Steve sings.

The basketball stuff was kind of meh. Plus, it's good to know Shaq still can't emote worth a shit.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Well it actually wasn't Shaq.

• Options
    It wasn't? I skipped the credits.

Kudos to them for hitting that note, I guess.

• Options
    I was just thinking about the 'ennui cinema' episode today and here Adult Swim is showing it. Perfect!

The new episode was decent, too.

• Options
    This has been a really strong season. Maybe just for the episode titles alone. I don't think anything is going to top steve singing in the closet for me though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Really weird that they ran their Christmas episode tonight.

• Options
    Not much of a choice since their season began in March or something.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Really weird that they ran their Christmas episode tonight.

At least they acknowledged it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    The Salt episode was pure gold and the best one of the season.

• Options
    Another solid episode!

That's what, 2? :P

• Options
    Bazooka Sharks!

• Options
    This season certainly went out strong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    American Dad has had a remarkably consistent run for 13 seasons at this point. There's only a handful of episodes I skip, and its usually because they're a little too brutal to the characters and not cause they're bad. Specifically, Francine's acid attack and the one where the chinese guy buys the show and Stan gets lobotimized

• Options
    I tend to pay little attention to early episodes since they hadn't quite found the characters. What kind of surprises me about the show was I'd watched an early episode in the first year and simply didn't care for it. It certainly didn't approach the first three seasons of Family Guy. And, wierdly enough, the next time I watched an episode was the exact same one and still didn't like it.

But sometime in the last three or four years, I caught some of the more recent episodes and finally got into it. It's held up much better than FG has.

• Options
    I loved Fung Wah's episode, that's how you make out there episodes work. Just like the hot tub episode being set up as the final episode (he died, the end).

The first season is the worst because it was Mcfarlane being super annoying and preachy with the characters. It was like he saw King of the Hill and did everything the opposite that show did to really make Hank such a great character (key factor: Hank has to win some battles and can't just be the whipping boy). But with season 2 on, it got good, and when I started really watching it (season 4ish) it hit the stride and feel it's never really failed outside of a few episodes, like the Jeff lost in space one).

Anyway, catching up on some newer episodes:

-Flood episode part 2: good documentary stuff, as was Jeff trying to be in the Navy, but the Steve/Roger part was weak. Did love the ending with blowing up the island and the documentarian
    -Criss cross Applesauce: one of the better Stan and Roger episodes, but the R Kelly Steve b plot was great.
    -Salt episode: another good one with a plot that makes no sense but that's Roger for you
    -President Garfield: Steve's B plot with sexy school news was better but I always like hearing Chris Parnell's voice as well as Garfield's addiction to orange soda. And like the earlier Simpsons the weird sliding timeline works here with Haley being a Miley Cyrus fan before she became Betty Buzzkill.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    It takes a while for the show to find its voice. But there are great moments that are flashes of future in season 1. Like when Stan and Bullock are fighting in the diner, and then Klaus starts narrating like a DVD commentary. That new Fallout/Post Apoc episode was great, especially the part with the 200 Rogers

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    TexiKen wrote: »
    -President Garfield: Steve's B plot with sexy school news was better...

Easily in the top 10 B-plots for this show.

"I don't know what happened! One of them did a high kick and I passed out!"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    It takes a while for the show to find its voice. But there are great moments that are flashes of future in season 1. Like when Stan and Bullock are fighting in the diner, and then Klaus starts narrating like a DVD commentary. That new Fallout/Post Apoc episode was great, especially the part with the 200 Rogers

I don't think the commentary joke is season 1 they were a lot less experimental then.

fake Edit- yep literally the first episode of season 2

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Stan of Arabia is generally acknowledged when the show began to really get its feet, no?

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Stan of Arabia is generally acknowledged when the show began to really get its feet, no?

Id say it had a five o'clock shadow about then yeah

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA