As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] the strange civility of the friendly neighbourhood captain panther

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Don't give them any ideas!

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Jesus fucking christ the magic box thing was a metaphor Ben Linus was making about the Island.

"Mystery Box" is JJ Abram's filmmaking theory. He's done a TED Talk about it. It's a very good explanation for why some of his movies are horrible and their marketing is horrible, and why I would not want him near Marvel properties.

A bigger reason to not let him in the MCU is that he'll bring his friends Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof with him.

Ironically, Shane Black did the mystery thing a whole lot better.

The part of the "Mystery Box" that's largely specific to Abrams is that he doesn't actually plan out an answer to the mystery, he wants to leave an area of "infinite possibility", but by doing it you end up with LOST where the central mystery has no answer and anything built on that isn't coherent.

Everything got an answer on LOST.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah but they were butts.

Also

DDBlood-720x405.jpg

Really like that image.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I like how this Daredevil is kind of a shitty early Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I like how this Daredevil is kind of a shitty early Bruce Wayne before he becomes Batman.

Reminded me of Arrow's season one. Maybe Karen is his Felicity?

• Options

Reminded me of Arrow's season one. Maybe Karen is his Felicity?

I really hope that Kingpin's arc is like Saint's Row, where he goes from a nobody thug to an international syndicated criminal emperor.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I like that they've gone with a simplified costume.

• Options
    Not crazy about all the black, but I imagine this is his starter outfit before switching to a more traditional look.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I hope he keeps the black outfit. It's much more practical and better looking. Adherence to comic book aesthetics is the last thing a faithful adaption needs to worry about.

• Options
    I hope he keeps the black outfit. It's much more practical and better looking. Adherence to comic book aesthetics is the last thing a faithful adaption needs to worry about.

The red costume distinguishes him visually from Batman.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

The red costume distinguishes him visually from Batman.

I would hope the lack of cape, insane vehicles, and personal servant, the ever expanding utility belt, the day job profession and the fact that the name is right in the title would be enough to do that for this TV show.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The black outfit comes from his origin story The Man Without Fear by Frank Miller and John Romita, Jr.

matt-murdock-daredevil-man-without-fear-john-romita-jr-art.jpg

And he ends up wearing the red by the end of that story, so I'm betting he will in the show too.

XzzA5rP.jpg

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Looks fantastic. Nice and dark - good to see Marvel/Disney still willing to make each property tonally different while still intending to link them at points.

I'll say this though, one thing I really liked in the Affleck movie was the way they did his sight. Though I get that it would have been pretty expensive to do for the show.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. Nice and dark - good to see Marvel/Disney still willing to make each property tonally different while still intending to link them at points.

I'll say this though, one thing I really liked in the Affleck movie was the way they did his sight. Though I get that it would have been pretty expensive to do for the show.

I don't think Marvel and Netflix are aware of the concept of "money".

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I was really hoping for a variation of Earth Bending vision.

• Options
    We might not have been shown what his "sight" looks like yet.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I wonder how they will fit this into the broader MCU. I mean, so far this seems really stripped down vigilante versus mobster stuff. Sure, Matt has powers but they're less obtrusive than other superpowers. I mean, I'm sure there may be some passing references to The Battle of New York and what not, but will we see anything more outlandish, like Hand ninjas or other people with powers?

I'm also curious how this fits into the MCU timeline. We know they shot some stuff of young Matt, so they're keeping the idea that he got his powers as a boy. So what made him decide to become a superhero? Was he inspired by the likes of The Avengers? I kind of wonder if that'll be part of the whole Defenders lineup: street level heroes being inspired by the example of the Avengers. Or, alternatively, will it be revealed that the street-level heroes have been around for a while now, but have been overlooked?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    I wonder how they will fit this into the broader MCU. I mean, so far this seems really stripped down vigilante versus mobster stuff. Sure, Matt has powers but they're less obtrusive than other superpowers. I mean, I'm sure there may be some passing references to The Battle of New York and what not, but will we see anything more outlandish, like Hand ninjas or other people with powers?

I'm thinking we'll get them eventually. Marvel knows it can do crazy bullshit now.
    I'm also curious how this fits into the MCU timeline. We know they shot some stuff of young Matt, so they're keeping the idea that he got his powers as a boy. So what made him decide to become a superhero? Was he inspired by the likes of The Avengers? I kind of wonder if that'll be part of the whole Defenders lineup: street level heroes being inspired by the example of the Avengers. Or, alternatively, will it be revealed that the street-level heroes have been around for a while now, but have been overlooked?

We don't know.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

I'm thinking we'll get them eventually. Marvel knows it can do crazy bullshit now.

We don't know.

I'm aware we don't know, I'm just thinking out loud, as it were. Personally, I can't decide which approach would work better. As for the crazy bullshit quotient, I feel like they need to fit at least some of that into the DD show, otherwise it'll feel a bit too jarring once they through him into the deep end with the Defenders.

On that note, it'll be very interesting to see how Luke, Jessica, Matt, and Danny all work as a team, given their varying strengths and weaknesses.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The guy playing Matt seems fine, we'll know for sure in a few months, but there doesn't seem to be a radar sense. They've played up the super hearing but something as simple as just making everything on screen go negative makes it stand out. There was a weird kind of tunnel vision shown but that seemed more like Matt had just been hit upside the head.

• Options
    If I were to guess I'd say it'd probably be shots of the information his other senses are bringing him with varying amounts of stylistic editing.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    If I were to guess I'd say it'd probably be shots of the information his other senses are bringing him with varying amounts of stylistic editing.

I did notice a few shots in the trailer of close-ups of things like chains clinking together and other little environmental sources of noise.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

I did notice a few shots in the trailer of close-ups of things like chains clinking together and other little environmental sources of noise.

I think instead of going for the Daredevil sense sfx, they are going to use those kind of audio and visual cues to show what he can do. Seems smart, since anything more comic booky could could clash with the gritty, realistic style they are going for.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

They haven't even had a first episode yet!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they should play him like the alien

creepy and eyeless and horribly aware

thats the only way to make his power not look derpy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Getting eviscerated by walking under a curious-looking hissing, drooling vent in the ceiling would definitely play on the fears of criminals.

Such as really not wanting to get eviscerated for walking under a curious-looking hissing, drooling vent.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I really liked a lot of aspects of the Affleck Daredevil movie, like how they did the sonar and the idea that he's not some invincible superhero he's a guy who gets injured on a regular basis and has to down painkillers just to function. It really broke down some of the standard superhero stuff.

Of course, that all went out the window the moment he fought Jennifer Garner and the movie became a bullshit cartoon that still wanted to be "gritty".

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    RE: Weekly format vs. Netflix all-at-once:

All-at-once is what makes Netflix different. I don't want them to start changing to become more like television. The main reason that I like it is that it isn't TV.
    Not crazy about all the black, but I imagine this is his starter outfit before switching to a more traditional look.

He needs to eventually get the red suit for my Monty Python reference to work.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

Getting eviscerated by walking under a curious-looking hissing, drooling vent in the ceiling would definitely play on the fears of criminals.

Such as really not wanting to get eviscerated for walking under a curious-looking hissing, drooling vent.

he should spawn smaller daredevils from his slain enemies

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular

"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!"

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

I like that it's pretty obvious he can't see through his mask.

"What's this guy gonna do? He can't even see us!"

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

All-at-once is what makes Netflix different. I don't want them to start changing to become more like television. The main reason that I like it is that it isn't TV.

One thing I'll note is that none of the Netflix shows have been able to maintain much of a thread around here which pretty well highlights what the issue is. They have a horrible time generating buzz of any kind. If you find out your friend also watches it you either have to carefully figure out what is safe to talk about because of your relative positions or desperately tell them to shut up if you realize they're ahead of you. Best case you start talking about don't really remember the first few hours because you just watch half a day of television after it.

I think these are real problems for a show on Netflix getting the widespread traction for a big hit on their hands and I think they know it too.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

One thing I'll note is that none of the Netflix shows have been able to maintain much of a thread around here which pretty well highlights what the issue is. They have a horrible time generating buzz of any kind. If you find out your friend also watches it you either have to carefully figure out what is safe to talk about because of your relative positions or desperately tell them to shut up if you realize they're ahead of you. Best case you start talking about don't really remember the first few hours because you just watch half a day of television after it.

I think these are real problems for a show on Netflix getting the widespread traction for a big hit on their hands and I think they know it too.

Some time this year Chelsea Handler will have a weekly show on Netflix. Nothing like her E! show supposedly - more of a interview-heavy, more comedy on the news than celebrity nonsense... sounds like she wants in on the whole Daily Show / Last Week format.

Sure, it is a topical show and you couldn't really do a dump of content with something like that, but at least they are at least toying with the idea of different content and different delivery methods.

If people show they are willing to tune in once a week for her show, maybe Netflix will consider doing the same for a future season of one of their big shows.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

They don't make for good threads, but that does not mean that there is no "buzz" about them. More people have recommended House of Cards and Orange is the New Black to me than any other shows. They're also all over the media, so the Netflix model certainly seems to work well despite not being able to sustain threads on communities such as this.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!"

My only regret is that I have but one Awesome to give.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

On the other hand, the Netflix thread is never out of commission.

My friend who is also watching it also probably binged and is either done or almost done, just like me.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Outside of maybe True Detective and Game of Thrones, I don't hear people talk about ANY shows nearly as much as they do Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. Forum thread sustainability is absolutely not the same thing as real world buzz and popularity, and I don't think Netflix's all-at-once method is hurting their dramas at all.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Lilyhammer is a fantastic Netflix original, and I have heard absolutely zero people talk about it IRL. I stumbled across it by accident while looking for something to watch.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    Lilyhammer is a fantastic Netflix original, and I have heard absolutely zero people talk about it IRL. I stumbled across it by accident while looking for something to watch.

I've also never seen a commercial, or even so much as a website banner ad for Lilyhammer, so I don't think Netflix is particularly pushing it. In contrast, I see House of Cards ads and TV commercials all the time, and pass at least 2 billboards almost every day advertising it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I've also never seen a commercial, or even so much as a website banner ad for Lilyhammer, so I don't think Netflix is particularly pushing it. In contrast, I see House of Cards ads and TV commercials all the time, and pass at least 2 billboards almost every day advertising it.

Maybe Lillyhammer is big in Norway. I'm glad to see that Netflix is putting some advertising behind the Marvel shows.

kyrcl.png