As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tom Magliozzi Finally Blew a Gasket (R.I.P. Click/Clack)

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
edited November 2014 in Social Entropy++
Tom Magliozzi, half of Car Talk's Click and Clack, has died at age 77.

357430414.jpg

http://wunc.org/post/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-nprs-car-talk-dies-77

This is the most I've felt a celebrity death since Ryan Davis.

I have been listening to Tom every week Since I was 5 years old. Since I was too small to understand nearly any of the jokes, Tom's laugh has made me smile.

Here's to you Tom. You never helped me fix my car but you gave me a lot of joy.

Edit:
If you aren't familiar, Car Talk was a Car advice/comedy show, and Tom was the heart while Ray was the snark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLtksqAz5Fs&index=3&list=PLG9vPTzDLs_QWaNhCUoAZIkso6wy0Jwqj

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
Chincymcchilla on

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I know people say every year sucks regarding celebrity deaths, but fuck 2014.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Man that sucks, he was such a joy to listen to.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Man, I love him and his brother a lot. This is really sad. He always seemed ot be having a ton of fun

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I literally listened to this show for 20 years

My thoughts are with Ray because knowing how devastated I am I can't fathom how it will be to not have him around.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aw, their paper column was something I saw every day.

That is an excellent choice of photo for the OP, however.

YL9WnCY.png
  • msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    Damn it all to hell. :bigfrown:

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I grew up listening to Car Talk every weekend. This is a sad day indeed.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My sympathies to Ray and the rest of his family and friends. Car Talk always brightened up my Sunday mornings. Tom will be missed. :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    Funny and smart and bighearted, Tom was as warm in real life as he was on the radio. They invited me up to their Good News Garage in Cambridge for a sock hop. His wife, Joanne, made me a poodle skirt. Tom was the perfect host: welcoming, gracious and so generous and good-spirited.

http://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/360731558/tom-magliozzi-as-warm-in-real-life-as-he-was-on-the-radio

ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
    Fuck alzheimers dude

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, this is the fucking worst.
    I've listened to their show for most of my life.

steam_sig.png
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    This is absolutely the worst. Car Talk has made many a Saturday morning for me, and I can't believe he died at 77.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is a rough one for me.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Tom was able to become everyone's favorite crazy uncle within 5 minutes of airtime, & for all his silliness, he was thoroughly experienced in his profession and the human heart.
    I hope my npr station continues to rotate those shows out, but I've already missed them since they ended it a few years ago.
    Some people fill such a special role for a society, that you can't help but feel an immense loss as they age and pass on.
    Losing Tom is like losing the sun.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    This wasn't the talk I was looking for, but it's pretty typical for the show, in case any of ya'll are looking for a taste.
    I suggest just jumping in at a random time, if you wanna simulate flipping on the radio and catching a beautiful moment on the ride home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww5LTkys1YE

VayBJ4e.png
  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I heard aboout this today while I was running errands. Doug Berman, the executive producer of Car Talk, has said that the family wants the show to keep airing for as long as people will listen to it, as it's the best way to commemorate Tom's life.

This celebrity death hit me hard. Celebrity deaths usually don't, but I've been listening to Car Talk for a little over 21 years. Fffffffuck 2014.

I heard aboout this today while I was running errands. Doug Berman, the executive producer of Car Talk, has said that the family wants the show to keep airing for as long as people will listen to it, as it's the best way to commemorate Tom's life.

This celebrity death hit me hard. Celebrity deaths usually don't, but I've been listening to Car Talk for a little over 21 years. Fffffffuck 2014.

I really want a good collection but most of the cds are only a few episodes

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Such a staple of any long drive with my dad. Always doing our best to cackle along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I heard this going into work. Gods fucking dammit, Agreeing everything on the page just isn't enough. Tom was one of the first people who I said "I want a job like that" before I knew their names weren't really Click and Clack.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I only started listening to it recently (for about two years I think) but it was always a highlight of my week. RIP Tommy.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I remember car talk was great because it was one of the few things everyone in my family liked to listen to in the car as a kid. It really sucks to hear he's gone. They both had just the best laughs.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    It's sad to see him go, I used to listen to Car Talk with my dad on the radio every weekend when growing up and one time when in Boston he took me to their offices above the bookstore. I still listen every chance I get even though they have only been reruns since their last show in 2012. His laugh was so amazing. I think the best thing he ever taught me was to, as always, not drive like his brother.